Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

New Vibe 268 RKS towing issue

Hi, first post and all...

I tow with a 2014 F150 supercrew 4x4 not a max tow so it has pretty soft suspension and it's bone stock.

My WDH is an Andersen no sway. I pulled off the Eaz lift with 800lb bars and friction bar sway setup.

Anyhow I brought the 268 RKS home from the dealership during a storm and it felt like it was all over the place. I read here that friction bars were at their limit with a trailer of this size. Anyhow I then ordered an Andersen unit and installed it. The bouncing has stopped, it was really bad with the bars. The feeling of swaying the truck all over the place has however not stopped. I know with a 6900 lb trailer and a 6100lb truck I'm definitely not going to get away from the trailer influencing the tow vehicle. It was enough that on the trip home from it's maiden voyage the truck's automatic sway control engaged 3 times over the 160 or so miles we went. I was driving I-84 in the gorge in Oregon at the time and it's well known for its side winds. Anyhow I'm coming from a Springdale 252 and it had much better manners even with the friction bar. It was of course about 1500 lbs lighter.

I've been wondering if airbags on my rear end might help, maybe I should degrease the coupler with some brake cleaner to allow more friction with the andersen hitch? Maybe the Roadmaster Active suspension on the truck?

I did notice it was rock steady when pulling up hills, so I dont think it's an issue of not being set up properly.

Btw even with my 3.31 axle the EB motor has no problem pulling a 7% grade.

I've been considering hooking the trailer up to my old F350 and seeing if the wieght of the older truck will help smooth things out. I would however much prefer to pull this with the 150 as it's a much more refined ride.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I cannot swing a Hensley Arrow or other hitch right now, the Andersen set me back enough.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

With the Anderson there can be no grease on the ball or coupler that is where the sway control comes from. When I was towing mine with a ram 1500 when the wind hit me from the side, the trailer and the back of the truck would wiggle. Not just the trailer. So I think if u get the grease off you will be doing better. Also so the wirght police can chime in what are all the weights on the truck and trailer?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Truck has a GVWR of 7350 payload 1395lbs according to the tire sticker. IIRC the trailer is 6700lbs about 650 tongue weight.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Air bags will help some . if you want more info on air bags send me a pm

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
IIRC the trailer is 6700lbs about 650 tongue weight.
Is that the scaled weight or brochure weight? The tongue weight is showing at slightly under 10%, you may try upping your tongue weight closer to 12-15% range. You may also try going slightly tongue down.

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Air bags and get rid of the P tires if you have them.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

I also have a f150 Eco 4x4 5.5 bed 18 in tires pulling a 272 vibe ez lift with sway con mine also was squirley in rear when being passed by larger viechals I have put 40 lb of air in tires helped a lot also when these go will be getting d or e rated tires with heaver side walls the general purpose rating on side walls just don't cut it safe travels

Clancy vibe272bhs
Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

I also bought the 268RKS that I will be picking up in 4 weeks. Will be towing it back (about 3 hours drive) with my (new to me ) 2010 F150 w/tow pkg 3.73 gears and a 5.4. I recently bought the equal-izer 4 point w/d hitch that I hope will do the job.
I will report back on how it tows once I get home from this trip. Obviously, traffic, trucks and weather/road conditions will all affect the drive, so ultimately I may not be able to pass judgement for several trips.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

P tires on a truck are a big contributor to sway and they will not wear well towing. Get at least a LT LR D or LR E. You can inflate to max cold pressure or close to it while towing and lower it when not towing.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

I do have the P rated tires. I was looking today at toyo open country in the OEM size but load range E. Are the P tires really that much of a contributor to that wobbly feeling when towing heavy?

Tags
towing, vibe