Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 298
New Weight Police Member

Traded my 2015 silverado 1500 double cab for a 2015 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Z71 crew cab 6.6 duramax with 25,000 miles on it. Got all my goodies back, heated and cooled seats and all the good stuff, plus I can tow without fear now. Navigation, front and rear proximity sensors, factory folding tonneau, leather, engine brake, It's pretty much loaded.

I got the same mileage on my trip back to St. Louis for work Sunday in it as I'd been getting in the 1500, around 20 mpg.

It's my 3rd 2015 chevrolet, which is ridiculous, but my life parameters changed quickly.
Colorado, got bigger trailer so it's too small.
1500, bought Windjammer to pull to Florida so it was on the borderline.
Now the duramax.

Wife likes the 3001W so much she wants to use it all the time and drag it back and forth from florida instead of leaving it there, and sell the sunset trail. I'm on board with this plan, at least until I can afford a fifth wheel.

I'm very happy with this vehicle so far.

So watch out you 1/2 ton owners, if I have time I'll be on every thread.
__________________

__________________
2012 Windjammer 3001W-Florida Permanent site
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB-summer camping and work
2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ crew cab Z71 4x4
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 298
The sales manager, my friend the salesman, and I wrestled with plate classifications for 15 minutes. Whether to transfer my IL B or buy D.

I ended up buying D/ I have to pay for them quarterly, pain in the hinie, plus they're high.

But I didn't want to be caused grief by an over eager state trooper in my state or another one.

Illinois sucks.
__________________

__________________
2012 Windjammer 3001W-Florida Permanent site
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB-summer camping and work
2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ crew cab Z71 4x4
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ocean Isle Beach NC
Posts: 1,584
DMV told me to transfer my 10K plates from the F250 and make no changes. The clerk said the truck is not being used commercially. Besides you would have to be stopped for an infraction for anything noticed while towing the 5er. She said local and county would not care and unlikely a trooper would either. She also said the fine/costs are low ~~ and has not heard of any written up unless commercial.
__________________
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
The sales manager, my friend the salesman, and I wrestled with plate classifications for 15 minutes. Whether to transfer my IL B or buy D.

I ended up buying D/ I have to pay for them quarterly, pain in the hinie, plus they're high.

But I didn't want to be caused grief by an over eager state trooper in my state or another one.

Illinois sucks.

Why did you go with a D plate? Is your truck over 8000 LBS?

I have a 3/4 ton Ram Mega Cab that I tow a 34RL Cedar Creek with. The truck has a IL B plate and I checked with the secretary of state police on whether or not I needed a D plate or a B plate for the truck when I towed that trailer. Their answer was as long as the truck weights less than 8,000 LBS than a B plate is all I needed, even when towing an RV trailer.
__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, 100K+miles
Jim34RL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Why did you go with a D plate? Is your truck over 8000 LBS?

I have a 3/4 ton Ram Mega Cab that I tow a 34RL Cedar Creek with. The truck has a IL B plate and I checked with the secretary of state police on whether or not I needed a D plate or a B plate for the truck when I towed that trailer. Their answer was as long as the truck weights less than 8,000 LBS than a B plate is all I needed, even when towing an RV trailer.
Apparently it was explained to me incorrectly. Too late now.
__________________
2012 Windjammer 3001W-Florida Permanent site
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB-summer camping and work
2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ crew cab Z71 4x4
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dbarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Traded my 2015 silverado 1500 double cab for a 2015 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Z71 crew cab 6.6 duramax with 25,000 miles on it. Got all my goodies back, heated and cooled seats and all the good stuff, plus I can tow without fear now. Navigation, front and rear proximity sensors, factory folding tonneau, leather, engine brake, It's pretty much loaded.

I got the same mileage on my trip back to St. Louis for work Sunday in it as I'd been getting in the 1500, around 20 mpg.

It's my 3rd 2015 chevrolet, which is ridiculous, but my life parameters changed quickly.
Colorado, got bigger trailer so it's too small.
1500, bought Windjammer to pull to Florida so it was on the borderline.
Now the duramax.

Wife likes the 3001W so much she wants to use it all the time and drag it back and forth from florida instead of leaving it there, and sell the sunset trail. I'm on board with this plan, at least until I can afford a fifth wheel.

I'm very happy with this vehicle so far.

So watch out you 1/2 ton owners, if I have time I'll be on every thread.
Yeah well...I wouldn't get too over confident. This was on I-380 last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	120739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	120740  
__________________
'15 F150 Ecoboost Maxtow Scab '13 Freedom Exp. 233RBS
Days camped 2016 56,
Days camped 2015 33,
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 298
Don't bring me down bro.
__________________
2012 Windjammer 3001W-Florida Permanent site
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB-summer camping and work
2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ crew cab Z71 4x4
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
dbarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Don't bring me down bro.
__________________
'15 F150 Ecoboost Maxtow Scab '13 Freedom Exp. 233RBS
Days camped 2016 56,
Days camped 2015 33,
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim34RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oswego il
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Yeah well...I wouldn't get too over confident. This was on I-380 last week.

I wonder how fast he was going since he was towing a trailer he should've been doing 55 or 60 mph but I bet he was doing 70 or better. The faster you go the more chance you have a having an accident, if something happens.
__________________
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67, 100K+miles
Jim34RL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
RSchleder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I wonder how fast he was going since he was towing a trailer he should've been doing 55 or 60 mph but I bet he was doing 70 or better. The faster you go the more chance you have a having an accident, if something happens.

AMEN brother!!!!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Days camping (2016)----181 days
Days camping (2017) --- 21 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.