Old 02-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper77 View Post
So here's my opinion on these calculators. Theyíreover rated, and they over think a situation that is too fluid to calculateproperly. You might have firewood one trip and not the other. Your trailer willweigh more when going for a week as opposed to a weekend. Christ! How much doesthe dog weigh? What did you eat forbreakfast that day? How many toys do the kids have? Itís a little over scrutinized.Also they want you to weigh your trailer as if itís packed, same for the truck.That means you've already bought it, so what the point!? You can't return it ifyou find out you're over (according to the calculator). I think using your bestjudgment and going with something that you know you can handle is the safestcalculator. There is a great pinned thread on this subject called ďa fool-proofmethod for judging your tow vehicle" I suggest you give it a read.
Ok bring on the hate mail!
Now that I can completely understand. I've been towing for many years. All kinds of trailers and never really gave it a lot of thought or had any problems. Not going to get any hate here.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
ARLO

My Sunline 285SR had a factory dry weight of 6700 lbs and we were loaded for a 6 week vacation through the Canadian maritime provinces. I had no problems even in the mountains. I did have 10 ply E rated tires for better stability. Mine was a 2008 F150 identical with one exception, 3.73's instead of 3.55's I don't think you will have a problem if you take it easy. I would recommend new rubber if possible.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #13

Tow ratings are not so much about whether you can tow a load, its all about whether or not you can stop it safely going downhill with a tailwind on a wet highway at highway speeds. If you hitch it up and park it in the driveway, your good to go, otherwise keep your speed down and leave lots of room for stopping. Most half-tons pulling larger TT or 5th wheels you see on the highway going over the speed limit are over-loaded with questionable tires, let them pass and keep your distance. Happy trails!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
Happy Campers

As mentioned on several postings, try www.changinggears.com. There is a "fill in the blanks" calculator which will make it easy to change variables (like safety margin).

Good Travelin'
Some Yorkies
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
Tow ratings are not so much about whether you can tow a load, its all about whether or not you can stop it safely going downhill with a tailwind on a wet highway at highway speeds. If you hitch it up and park it in the driveway, your good to go, otherwise keep your speed down and leave lots of room for stopping. Most half-tons pulling larger TT or 5th wheels you see on the highway going over the speed limit are over-loaded with questionable tires, let them pass and keep your distance. Happy trails!

X2

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Another adventure awaits!

Hi ... We had a F150 ... Very similar to yours ... Pulled our 27' TT with no issue ... Didn't pull with water tanks loaded ... Happy trailering
Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #17

Fantastic advise. That's probably why this is the best forum in the country. Slow down, avoid mountains, take it easy, be careful, leave space for stopping, I've been doing it for years. Don't pay attention to calculators, no need to weigh after you bought the rv, never had a problem, just stay right at the weight limit because they engineered extra into the truck. I'm glad I joined this forum for all the technology advice. You got to love experience!!

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper77 View Post
Wow. I though my comments would unleash the fury of Zeus upon me! Lol.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
Ah nobody on here would do that everyone has there own opinion, Some are good and some are bad. This subject almost comes up daily. I could say that I learned a lot when I joined and still am. It's experience and advice your choice to sort it all out. Good Luck on what ever you decide......Most of all....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #19

We have a 2008 Ford F150 5.4 ltr. V8. We called Ford and gave 'em the VIN and they told us our towing capacity is 9500, which is more than we thought it was. We still want to stay well under, though, 'cause we go uphill a lot.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #20

I loaded up, my 2012 toyota tundra, 2015 salem hemisphere 300bh, two teenage granddaughters, bicycles, groceries and cloths, went to the scales and weight 16,520# / then I went from Alabama to Yellowstone, mt. Rushmore, Cody wy. 6500 miles round trip. Averaged 8.7 miles per gallon and averaged paying $3.58 per gallon back in September. I was told by all the experts that I was overloaded by 520#. I also went over the 10,942 ' elevation at bear tooth parkway. The trip was wonderful, the truck handled the load great and I actually pulled better and stayed ahead, they appointed me the lead truck, because I didn't have trouble running the speed limit, I was with eight other campers that where pulling lighter campers with bigger 3/4 ton trucks (including diesels) So load up be safe and enjoy this wonderful adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
fuse, newbie