Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I can carry extra weight...I have nitrogen in my tires!! (sorry, bad joke!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #22

Tires

I didn't see where anyone mentioned higher rated tires at on the truck. If it doesn't already have some that will hold 65#'s of air I would consider that. I know you will have equalizer hitch and probably sway control, but I like the extra sidewall stiffness of the heaver rated tires. Don't know if E range is necessary, but at least D range. The tires don't increase the overall weight capacity. I would also run the tires at max pressure on the sidewalls as that also helps with stability. Also on the brake controller get one that is electronic and doesn't require adjusting the pendulum and can be mounted at various angles.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #23

Mtnguy, you are correct about the weights on my vehicle. I looked at the chart for a 3.73 gear ratio instead of the 3.55 ratio. The trailer lengths are also confusing to me. some places list the trailer as almost 28 ft long and then other places list it as 31'9" with hitch etc...If I use your formula of WB divided by 5 that would equal 27'8"....as far as the weight of the tow vehicle we will be traveling very light. The trailer is a 2015 Forest River Cherokee 274RKS. Due to my wifes condition, I need this configuration with the recliners that will face the TV. A living room with banquette seating will not work. So, if this configuration of TT is to heavy, I will need to come up with a plan "B" because I cannot afford anything bigger right now. Thank you for taking the time to respond with all that great info
Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I can't find any stats on the 274rks.

The "recommended " maximum trailer lengths are just that.... recommended. That covers all tow vehicles. A full sized SUV is going to be do better than a mid sized truck or SUV. A 1/2 ton truck will work better than a full sized SUV with a soft suspension. A 3/4 ton truck will do better than a 1/2 truck.

If my receiver was up to the task, that trailer was my best option, and I was pulling mostly in Florida, I would probably consider getting the trailer to tow with my F150. If I were planning on doing most of my towing in the Appalachians, then I would probably not get it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #25

I think you should be fine. Just do not go overboard with stuff.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #26

Thanks again Mtnguy, I feel better! Will be used strictly in Florida and on short trips. Nothing would make me happier than for my wife's condition to improve and her sparkle to return and I'm forced to buy a bigger truck in the future!
You guys have been great!
Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #27

Thanks vinmaker! Advice taken
Old 02-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #28

Go for it.

Don't wear your self out about it. You should be fine.
Take it easy until you get a feel of the load and the way the truck handles. I think you will be fine.
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
Tow ratings are not so much about whether you can tow a load, its all about whether or not you can stop it safely going downhill with a tailwind on a wet highway at highway speeds. If you hitch it up and park it in the driveway, your good to go, otherwise keep your speed down and leave lots of room for stopping. Most half-tons pulling larger TT or 5th wheels you see on the highway going over the speed limit are over-loaded with questionable tires, let them pass and keep your distance. Happy trails!

Thomas,

You say it's all about stopping, but is that really always the case? I will admit I am no expert, but from what I am seeing you can take two trucks, same year make and model and they may have a 2000 lb tow capacity difference. The only difference that I am aware of is the rear end gear ratio. So, it seems to me the ratings are more about not overloading the drivetrain. I do realize that stopping an overloaded trailer is an issue, but my point is that it doesn't seem to be the whole story.
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKirkham View Post
Thomas,

You say it's all about stopping, but is that really always the case? I will admit I am no expert, but from what I am seeing you can take two trucks, same year make and model and they may have a 2000 lb tow capacity difference. The only difference that I am aware of is the rear end gear ratio. So, it seems to me the ratings are more about not overloading the drivetrain. I do realize that stopping an overloaded trailer is an issue, but my point is that it doesn't seem to be the whole story.
Stopping has more to do with the trailer brakes than what truck is towing it. A good brake controller set properly and good trailer brakes should be able to stop the trailer regardless of the truck. I pull with a 1/2T and have no problem whatsoever stopping our 5er.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #31

I do not have an old membership to this forum. I have been in several heated exchanges based on towing, tires safety and so forth. Campers are going to tow whatever they feel comfortable with. Some look for a convincing ok from friends, relatives, or forums of this nature. But if you pay attention to what is being posted, you will find out that you have an array of opinions. What people are looking for is that reassurance that they are ok to tow what they have (or will have). If a person wants to really find out what is safe, talk to certified technicians and mechanics. Talking to an alley mechanic is not the resource to get this kind of info. I'm sure there are some who have some knowledge on these issues. What I don't understand is why new rv owners are not researching these items themselves from reliable sources. It has been 2years for our search and feel very confident on my choices. It's just a waist of time to put ones opinion on here without true verification on the facts. To get those, one must research!
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, newbie