Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #1

Angry Newbie and very confused

Hey Everyone, Newbie here, I love the site and all the info provided...
My wife is disabled and in order for me to get her out of the house so she could enjoy life a little, I just bought an TT. (haven't picked up yet) Here's my problem, After hours of crunching numbers I'm still, or even more confused than when I started. There is a popular spreadsheet on this site for calculating towing capacities. According to this formula I should not be able to pull my boat which I've been doing for 17 years and many miles....can anyone help?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
2007 F150 5.4L (3valve per)-- 139 inch WB-- 3.55 rear end and tow package. GVWR;-7050lbs.---Front GAWR 3450lbs---- Rear GAWR 3850 lbs GCWR;14,500lbs--- Max trailer weight;9000 lbs. I took the trailer weight and subtracted 10% for safety =8100lbs Then I subtracted another 10% from max trailer weight for "stuff"= 7200lbs. The weight of the 274RKS is 6552Lbs am I good to go? I will be installing brake controller and towing eqaulizer/stabilizer
Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #2

So here's my opinion on these calculators. They’reover rated, and they over think a situation that is too fluid to calculateproperly. You might have firewood one trip and not the other. Your trailer willweigh more when going for a week as opposed to a weekend. Christ! How much doesthe dog weigh? What did you eat forbreakfast that day? How many toys do the kids have? It’s a little over scrutinized.Also they want you to weigh your trailer as if it’s packed, same for the truck.That means you've already bought it, so what the point!? You can't return it ifyou find out you're over (according to the calculator). I think using your bestjudgment and going with something that you know you can handle is the safestcalculator. There is a great pinned thread on this subject called “a fool-proofmethod for judging your tow vehicle" I suggest you give it a read.
Ok bring on the hate mail!

2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper77 View Post
So here's my opinion on these calculators. They’reover rated, and they over think a situation that is too fluid to calculateproperly. You might have firewood one trip and not the other. Your trailer willweigh more when going for a week as opposed to a weekend. Christ! How much doesthe dog weigh? What did you eat forbreakfast that day? How many toys do the kids have? It’s a little over scrutinized.Also they want you to weigh your trailer as if it’s packed, same for the truck.That means you've already bought it, so what the point!? You can't return it ifyou find out you're over (according to the calculator). I think using your bestjudgment and going with something that you know you can handle is the safestcalculator. There is a great pinned thread on this subject called “a fool-proofmethod for judging your tow vehicle" I suggest you give it a read.
No hate here, I agree with you. Here is the link to the Fool-Proof Method.
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

I have the same truck set up and have pulled a 3001w from Ontario to BC and back 3 times. Have not had a problem with towing. I found that I did not want to push the truck too hard in the mountains and would fall in behind a large truck and follow them up. Started at bottom doing 80kph and would be down to 50kph at top (same speed as truck in front). I had the power to pass if I wanted but why push the truck. My RPM's never went over 3200. I also averaged 10mpg.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Happycamper77, thank you for responding! and thanks for the laugh! Everything you said is spot on.Especially the point of taking it to weigh it, why bother. I put a deposit down but have not any signed papers, trying to get an estimate before I sign....no hate here
Old 02-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

caper, thanks, good to know, you've eased my anxiety. The TT is 27ft long. I also live in flat florida and will not be going to far due to wife's condition.I'm hoping this is going to bring back my wife's zest for life.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Guys,
I am in the scale world and you guys are Correct it would be better to just Drive down the road????? I have talked to many rv's who go around and Weigh Everything that goes into there rig. It is just a waste of time like happycamper77 said.....just drive the road and Enjoy.
plshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #8

Wow. I though my comments would unleash the fury of Zeus upon me! Lol.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainperry View Post
2007 F150 5.4L (3valve per)-- 139 inch WB-- 3.55 rear end and tow package. GVWR;-7050lbs.---Front GAWR 3450lbs---- Rear GAWR 3850 lbs GCWR;14,500lbs--- Max trailer weight;9000 lbs.
Looks like Ford lists the maximum trailer weight for the 4x2 at 8500 lbs, and the 4x4 at 8200 lbs. http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...guideApr08.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainperry View Post
The weight of the 274RKS is 6552Lbs am I good to go? I will be installing brake controller and towing eqaulizer/stabilizer
I have no idea what brand a 274RKS is, so no idea on the stats. But somethings to consider besides the weight (which is generally about 400 lbs. over the listed dry weight after adding options, propane tanks, and a battery) are the hitch weight and overall length.

Hitch weight: You need to figure out if your receiver can handle the tongue weight. Tongue weights typically run 100 lbs. over the listed dry weight, and only go up after loading the camper. There should be a sticker on your receiver that lists the weight carrying load allowed, and also a maximum weight distributing load. Figuring the listed dry weight of 6552 lbs, and a 12% tongue weight, that puts it in the800 lb. range empty. It will go up from that after loading (or should to reach the ideal tongue weight percentage of 10 to 15%). Also, the tongue weight will add to the payload of the truck. You might want to hit some scales up now with the truck loaded with passengers and expected cargo, and see if you have enough payload left to safely add the tongue weight of the trailer.

Overall length: You don't want the tail to wag the dog.......that is you don't want the trailer to push around the truck. A WDH with integrated sway control will help. A 139" wheelbase on a 1/2 ton truck is pretty substantial, but it is probably best to stay within limits. There is no "official" rules concerning that, but a general "accepted" equation is to take the tow vehicle wheelbase in inches, divide by 5, and that would the maximum "suggested" overall trailer length in feet.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
The weight of the 274RKS is 6552Lbs am I good to go?
Our '11 Ram 2500 ST only has a tow capacity of 9,100 & the yellow sticker empty-weight on our TT is around 6,500, same as yours... With a family of 5, dog, 5 bikes, toys, firewood, toolboxes, etc. I headed to the nearest CAT scales:

Steer Axle: 3,300
Drive Axle: 4,580
Trailer Axle: 7,340
GCVW: 15,220

Our Ram only has a GCVW rating of 15,000, so I reduced the amount of firewood & tools we carry & now make sure all tanks are totally empty. We now run under 15,000 & have everything we need to camp for 2 weeks, including a full panty, extra cooler, bikes, firewood, etc.

Although your 1/2 ton has the same tow capacity as my 3/4 ton, you will need to watch your tongue weight & total payload. However, since it's just the 2 of you, combined with a good WDH, like the Equalizer 4 or better, you should be fine.

With the 5.4L I don't see you having any problems driving in relatively flat FL as long as you keep your speed under 60... I say go for it & enjoy time together camping.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Now that I can completely understand. I've been towing for many years. All kinds of trailers and never really gave it a lot of thought or had any problems. Not going to get any hate here.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
ARLO

My Sunline 285SR had a factory dry weight of 6700 lbs and we were loaded for a 6 week vacation through the Canadian maritime provinces. I had no problems even in the mountains. I did have 10 ply E rated tires for better stability. Mine was a 2008 F150 identical with one exception, 3.73's instead of 3.55's I don't think you will have a problem if you take it easy. I would recommend new rubber if possible.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Senior Gold Member

Tow ratings are not so much about whether you can tow a load, its all about whether or not you can stop it safely going downhill with a tailwind on a wet highway at highway speeds. If you hitch it up and park it in the driveway, your good to go, otherwise keep your speed down and leave lots of room for stopping. Most half-tons pulling larger TT or 5th wheels you see on the highway going over the speed limit are over-loaded with questionable tires, let them pass and keep your distance. Happy trails!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #14
Happy Campers

As mentioned on several postings, try www.changinggears.com. There is a "fill in the blanks" calculator which will make it easy to change variables (like safety margin).

Good Travelin'
Some Yorkies
Denny and Suni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
Tow ratings are not so much about whether you can tow a load, its all about whether or not you can stop it safely going downhill with a tailwind on a wet highway at highway speeds. If you hitch it up and park it in the driveway, your good to go, otherwise keep your speed down and leave lots of room for stopping. Most half-tons pulling larger TT or 5th wheels you see on the highway going over the speed limit are over-loaded with questionable tires, let them pass and keep your distance. Happy trails!

X2

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 02-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Another adventure awaits!

Hi ... We had a F150 ... Very similar to yours ... Pulled our 27' TT with no issue ... Didn't pull with water tanks loaded ... Happy trailering
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #17

Fantastic advise. That's probably why this is the best forum in the country. Slow down, avoid mountains, take it easy, be careful, leave space for stopping, I've been doing it for years. Don't pay attention to calculators, no need to weigh after you bought the rv, never had a problem, just stay right at the weight limit because they engineered extra into the truck. I'm glad I joined this forum for all the technology advice. You got to love experience!!

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Wow. I though my comments would unleash the fury of Zeus upon me! Lol.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
Ah nobody on here would do that everyone has there own opinion, Some are good and some are bad. This subject almost comes up daily. I could say that I learned a lot when I joined and still am. It's experience and advice your choice to sort it all out. Good Luck on what ever you decide......Most of all....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #19

We have a 2008 Ford F150 5.4 ltr. V8. We called Ford and gave 'em the VIN and they told us our towing capacity is 9500, which is more than we thought it was. We still want to stay well under, though, 'cause we go uphill a lot.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #20

I loaded up, my 2012 toyota tundra, 2015 salem hemisphere 300bh, two teenage granddaughters, bicycles, groceries and cloths, went to the scales and weight 16,520# / then I went from Alabama to Yellowstone, mt. Rushmore, Cody wy. 6500 miles round trip. Averaged 8.7 miles per gallon and averaged paying $3.58 per gallon back in September. I was told by all the experts that I was overloaded by 520#. I also went over the 10,942 ' elevation at bear tooth parkway. The trip was wonderful, the truck handled the load great and I actually pulled better and stayed ahead, they appointed me the lead truck, because I didn't have trouble running the speed limit, I was with eight other campers that where pulling lighter campers with bigger 3/4 ton trucks (including diesels) So load up be safe and enjoy this wonderful adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, newbie