Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Newbie - best setup for 2013 Wrangler Unlimited

Ok, I know where this is headed, everyone has their own opinion... BUT - I am a total newbie. We just bought our first MH a month ago, a 2013 Georgetown 351ds. Just getting ready to trade my truck in on a brand new Jeep Wrangler Sahara unlimited as a toad for my family of 5.
With a brand new MH and a brand new toad, I'd like to invest in the best towing setup out there. I don't really have any clue at this point - so please if a few could offer some advice I would appreciate it. I want to make sure we have everything needed, and it is top of my mind that with a 4200lb curb weight, the jeep is going to be pushing the 5000lb towing capacity of the MH. If I'm making a mistake there, let me know, I haven't bought the jeep yet but planning to next week.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

when we toad a 2011 jku we used a blueox baseplate and tow bar ,brakebuddy braking system and separate bulbs drilled in the tail lights also toad a 2010 wranger 2 dr altogether we traveled about 12000 miles with no issues loved the jeep but a bird convertable caught my eye and i couldn't resist (plus the deal put several k back in my pocket) jeeps hold their value very well
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #3

info for towing

We have a 2010 350 Georgetown, after alot of research and also new to towing we settled on a 2012 Honda CRV with the Blue ox tow bar and a SMI braking system. This is a great braking system it is installed permenantly in your car and you never have to take it in or out of your vehicle ,there is a on off switch. We have used it now a few times and along with the Honda are very pleased. just google both stystems and read other reviews.
Good Luck
R & S
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Retired US Army CW4

We tow a 2011 JKU on our new 329DS. We use a Ready Brake "Brute" tow bar with the built in surge brake system. All aluminum and rated at 8,000 pounds. We used the same tow bar on our Gulfstream towing our 2005 TJ. Used this system for 5,000 miles without any problems whatsoever. My group has 5 other rigs pulling Jeeps so we pretty much have all of the "bugs" figured out. Drop me a line if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1397528143.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	28923  
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Retired US Army CW4

Mopar sells a wiring harness that plugs directly into the Jeep's existing wiring and has a round 7 pin plug on a 5 foot lead that plugs right into the motorhome. Runs the tail, stop and running lights with no other mods to the Jeep. Beginning in 2011, Jeep also removed the steering lock so you don't need a key in the ignition to tow.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Retired US Army CW4

Networx,

I replied to your private message about my towing and brake setup but I couldn't attach pictures. Here's a pic of the Jeep showing the Currie base plate just under the bumper. I bought an after market bumper after I installed the base plate but still use it to tow. It makes a good skid plate and the bumper mounted right over the top of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	29745  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Wanderluster

Congratulations on the new rigs! There are those that swear by a solid "A" frame type tow bar, and those that swear at them. The reason I swear at them is I towed our 97 Wrangler over 85000 miles with one. If you are by yourself, they are time consuming to hook up even with a spotter. and I can just about guarantee that if you have one you will eventually miss a scenic location, or avoid a beautiful narrow road not suitable for your RV because of the hitchin' hassle. Any adjustable arm tow bar will make hitchin' up a whole lot easier.

There are many base plate options available, and only making sure that the one you choose will work with your chosen tow bar will do the job. If you plan on 4 wheeling, you may want to consider ground clearance, but for most folks that isn't an issue. If you choose to use the stock bumper, Currie Enterprises makes a skid/base plate that might be of interest to you. Our aftermarket recovery bumper with D-ring shackle brackets similar Tom and Kat's photo above serve as our base plate. There are several makers of tow bar adapters for this type application, and Blue Ox offers this adapter now...

We use a Blue Ox Atventa II tow bar with our '13 Wrangler, and a US Gear Unified Tow Brake for our supplemental brakes. I like the UTB for several reasons. It is the easiest supplemental brake system to hitch up with your Wrangler. Once it is installed, there are no switches to flip, no control box to set on the floor (BrakeBuddy and Roadmaster EvenBrake models operate this way), just hitch up and go. The toads brake sensitivity is adjustable from the towing vehicle while in motion. When properly installed, It comes with emergency break-away capability and towed vehicle battery charging line. One big advantage of the BrakeBuddy and EvenBrake systems is their ability to be moved from one vehicle to another. Other systems are not vehicle transfer friendly if that matters to you.

Another option you may want to consider is NSA's ReadyBrake. This is a completely mechanical system that operates by momentum and a cable hooked up from the brake pedal of the towed vehicle to the tow bar itself. I prefer a brake system that energizes the vacuum brakes and doesn't use brute force to stop the towed vehicle, but that's my opinion, and many folks love this system.

I chose the CooltecLLC.com wiring harness for our JKU.

Don't forget you can't back up. Oh you may be able to back in a completely straight line a few feet, but even the slightest deviation from straight and you will quickly learn it's not a good idea. To tow your '13 Wrangler, you won't need the key in the ignition. Put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in any gear if a manual or "Park" if an automatic, be sure the emergency brake is released, and away ya go.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #8

You guys are AWESOME! So here's where I am - I've decided on the ReadyBrute Elite towbar/surge brakes, the NSA breakaway and tow deflector and the Cooltech harness. Very confident in all choices but the brake -wow how do you make your mind up on that one? US Gear would be my second choice, but the local dealer they have listed doesn't recommend it, so I don't think I want to get it from them, and everyone else is a pretty good haul. Plus, the ReadyBrake is made locally here (an hour away) so I can get it right from the source.

My last choice is base plate. I want to use a bumper like @OffPavement - just looking for options there. I figure why spend $350 on a base plate when you can spend a little more and get a cool bumper out of the deal! We're not going to offroad hardcore or anything, so the tow bar aspect is most important.
I've only found a bumper from RockHard 4x4 that advertises it's compatible with tow bars - what bumper are you using OffPavement? Anyone others you've seen?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Retired US Army CW4

I've only found a bumper from RockHard 4x4 that advertises it's compatible with tow bars - what bumper are you using OffPavement? Anyone others you've seen?[/QUOTE]

Almost any after market Jeep bumper can be used with a tow bar as long as it has D-ring mounts. Most tow bars have adapters available (or include them with the tow bar) that will mount directly to the to the D-ring mounts.

One more thing to think about. Make sure there is not going to be a huge height difference between the receiver and the D-ring mounts on your bumper. Most tow bar manufacturers recommend a straight pull between the receiver and tow bar mounts (especially important if you're using a surge brake). If you don't have a lift on your Jeep this shouldn't be an issue, and you can also use a lift/drop adapter to make things match up.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Wanderluster

Tom and Kat is right on as far as aftermarket bumpers with recovery shackle brackets. My bumper is from Metal Cloak and here is a pic hooked up...

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #11

I've been towing a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited (soon to move the base plate to the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited) without incident for two years.

We also have a gasser, 2011 Coachmen Encounter with a 5K hitch. No problem tugging the Jeep along behind us.

We use the BlueOx base plate and tow bar and the BlueOx brake system as well. Patroit I believe is the name of their brake system.

Congrats on your new rig and Jeep.

[Edit: Should have added that the base plate when installed on the wrangler puts the tow height about 5" below the hitch height of the coach meaning that I had to buy a 4" drop hitch to level out the two. You want your tow bar to be level when hooked up.]

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote