Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Smile Newbie - HELP!!!!!

I am entirely new to the world of the fifth wheel. Last year I was introduced into the toy hauler product. I'm a Harley owner and love to ride my bike, it's just nice to take the bike with me and have a place to stay. After looking at many toy haulers, I came to the realization that I could get a lot of 5th wheel camper (not a toy hauler) for the money as compared to larger 5th wheel toy haulers. I also figured out with either a standard trailer or a "swivel wheel trailer" I could take the Harley with me for less money and have a better living environment when on the road. As a result, I have put a deposit down on a Blue Ridge (by Forest River) 3025RL, which has a rear hitch already installed. It has not arrived at the dealer yet, and my deposit is refundable. A few questions to anyone that would be kind enough:

1) I decided in May of last year that no matter what I did I would need a truck large enough to pull a fifth wheel. I ordered a 2011 F350 4x4 SRW diesel with the factory prep fifth wheel ready kit, long bed, 20" factory tires/rims. It has all the toys, engine break, trailer controls, built in anti-sway, etc. I am planning to by the compatible Reese/Ford factory 5th wheel hitch. The world of pin weight, maximum carrying capacity, etc., confuses the hell out of me. With a dry hitch weight of 2,600 pounds, a dry ship weight of 11,259 and a GVWR of 14,230, can I safely pull this with my truck? Half the posts I see on here lead me to believe I have plenty of truck, the remainders, not near enough. The Harley and trailer would add approximately 1,200 - 1,300 pounds in the rear. The last thing I want to do is own a trailer that's more than my truck should hitch on to! I can't rely on an RV dealer to advise me!

2) Thoughts on the swivel wheel trailer method? Anyone use one successfully? They appear to get you around double towing laws, allow you to back up, etc. They're not cheap but look like they would work. Thoughts on these versus another trailer method?

3) Thoughts on the model I've selected? Any other owners who want to provide feedback, it would be greatly appreciated! It appears to be a lot of 5'er for the money. $20k under a Montana?? What am I missing?

4) I'm a newbie, green as can be. Please fire away anything you think is useul that I should know, think about, etc.

Thanks in advance!
indybusinessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Personally I am not a fan of towing that much with a SRW truck. You are just too close to the trucks GVWR/GCWR limits at all times. Terms like "dry" are totally meaningless. Unless you have some real world numbers to go by then consider the trailers GVWR as golden. Now, approx 20% of that number will be pin weight. So, with a fivers GVWR over 14K you will have around 2800 to 3000 pounds of pin weight. Fords list higher GVWR numbers for their trucks. But remember they are also heavier so in the real world your net cargo carrying capacity is almost exactly the same for any brand truck. I would not be a bit surprised that if you were to load your truck like going camping and getting it on the scales. you will find that your true cargo carrying capacity will be no more than 2000 to 2500 pounds. IMHO you are asking too much for a SRW truck. You might be better off getting a travel trailer, putting the bike in the bed of your truck and hitch up and go camping.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

indybusinessguy, welcome to the forum.

Not for sure, but I would think that swivel wheel trailer on back of a 5th wheel would do all sorts of crazy stuff going down the road. If I had a Harley, I don't think I would trust it riding on 1 of those.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

What was your final solution? We're in the same dilemma. We're now looking for a rare Class A toy hauler (as of 2009 or so, only one manufacturer) and then will pull our small Tacoma-we think! That's the current plan!
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Site Team

i seriously doubt you'll get an answer, since this thread is over 2 years old and it was the OP's one and only post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

Oh well. Would have been interesting to know.
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3025rl, blue ridge, f350, harley, towing