Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
daydreaming about camping

I had an 03 Tahoe with the highest towing and payload configuration possible. With my Jeep on a flatbed heading for the trails at 4600 pounds I was about 300 pounds over the cargo capacity of the Tahoe with family and gear on board.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Doering, in this situation with 3-5 kids going, I still am concerned about running out of payload capacity for a 6,000 dry camper (which will likely be at least 7,000 pounds when wet).
Yes, totally agree. Depending on the age (weight) of the kids, payload may be the kicker when including the tongue weight. He is perhaps maxed out now with his hybrid trailer carrying the entire family. That's why I also made reference to the payload capability of the Tahoe.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #13

Not all 5 kids go only 3 younger ones 1 at 20 lbs 1 at 45 lbs and 1 at 70 lbs. The total gross on Tahoe is 14000 lbs 1000 tongue weight. Nothing else in vehicle except car seat my purse and diaper bag. Camper would have blankets pillows clothes kitchenware to cook. Absolutely no wood water bikes toys or even grocerys. We buy food where we camp which is 25 minute drive from our house. Im not a packer at all like just the basics so not concerned as we really have no gear we'd pack sometimes I do bring 2 camping fold chairs but that's it. Oh the kids do bring a couple card games and a few movies. Road we take to campground is 45-50 mph no highways.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dishes pots pans
Tools
Add 40 lbs for water heater full of water
Add 80 lbs for propane
Bathroom supplies
Battery 60 lbs
Trailer blocking
Trailer hitch
Sway bars
Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxccheermom5 View Post
Not all 5 kids go only 3 younger ones 1 at 20 lbs 1 at 45 lbs and 1 at 70 lbs. The total gross on Tahoe is 14000 lbs 1000 tongue weight. Nothing else in vehicle except car seat my purse and diaper bag. Camper would have blankets pillows clothes kitchenware to cook. Absolutely no wood water bikes toys or even grocerys. We buy food where we camp which is 25 minute drive from our house. Im not a packer at all like just the basics so not concerned as we really have no gear we'd pack sometimes I do bring 2 camping fold chairs but that's it. Oh the kids do bring a couple card games and a few movies. Road we take to campground is 45-50 mph no highways.
The "total gross" (aka gross combined weight rating or GCWR) is rarely the issue. There's a different number called the "gross vehicle weight rating" (GVWR) that you will max out long before you ever hit the GCWR due to the amount of people, stuff and tongue weight on the vehicle.

Do you have any stickers on your door jamb that look like any of the following?

or, it may look like this:

As well, do you also have one that looks like this:

The numbers from those stickers that we're interested in are:
a) "the combined weight of passengers and cargo should never exceed X lbs"
b) the "GVWR"
c) the rear "GAWR" (gross axle weight rating)

Are you up to the idea of taking your 3 kids and going to a weigh-scale to get an idea of what your real payload is? It's quick and easy and only costs $10. There are CAT scales all over or you can hit a quarry, dump or somewhere else that can give you the following 2 weights:
1) front axle weight
2) rear axle weight
(and added together gives you your actual truck weight)
Old 06-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #16

What tools??? Seriously when I say we have no extras Im not playing. The only tool we bring is the can opener. No water. We usually fill 1 propane tank other stays home. No bathroom supplies as we don't like to use dump station. Battery yes. Hitch sway yes. I'm not as concerned with what we pack since we seriously only bring bare necessities. Our current camper seriously only has a few blankets 2 pots 1 griddle paper plates and silverware. Not even paper towels. But even with packing light I'm still thinking book just too close but I've read several people tow the same no issues which makes me curious
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
But even with packing light I'm still thinking book just too close but I've read several people tow the same no issues which makes me curious
Lots of people to over their ratings - some intentionally, some without knowing better; some get away with it, others have white knuckle experiences (anaro on this forum).

My personal philosophy is to tow within my ratings. If I can't, then I'd greatly consider a seasonal site and/or storage at the campground where I'm way less concerned about ratings.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #18

Yikes GWR is 7300 that doesn't sound good ...
Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Are u seeing the light yet lol

I bet that camper is 8000 lbs ready to camp as u describe.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
It all depends on what your truck actually weighs. *Hypothetically* - it could be 5,000 pounds and you guys are only bringing it up to 5,500.

Getting weighed is your absolutely best bet - it lets you make an educated decision vs. a bunch of us on forums guessing.

Everything in the vehicle matters - the GPS at 1/2 a pound, the first aid kit, the emergency road-side kit, did the SUV originally come with floor mats, you have an infant seat, and likely 1 or 2 booster seats, your purse (though, you said diaper bag- so likely no separate purse!), some drinks and snacks for the kids, activities for the kids (books, tablets, iPods, etc.). It all has a weight - maybe not a lot, but it adds up. If you're above or below 150 pounds, that matters in the tow rating and "this vehicle can carry X many pounds".