Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #21

OP although the Grey Wolf may be a little heavy there are many other campers out there that fall under your specs:
Such as
Micro Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River
or
Mini Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River
Both are 25 footers with triple bunks under 6k GVWR
Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #22

[QUOTE=f1100turbo;399424]Are u seeing the light yet lol

I bet that camper is 8000 lbs ready to camp as u describe.[/QU.

I guess that's why I'm confused yellow sticker says 7200 wouldn't that be ready to tow? Of course adding my pots griddle blankets pillows clothes and a few card games a few movies wouldn't that 7200 sticker weight include battery & propane? I've seen other campers and believe they have about 800 lbs in accessories but I don't pack all that. Trust me if its possible I want that camper but if its that close in numbers where I'm weighing how much in blankets I'll pass.......
cxccheermom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Christy,

The yellow sticker is "as shipped from the factory" and then there is a "payload" number. Adding the the two together shows the maximum the camper can weight.

The tongue load must fall between 10 and 15% of the "ready to camp" weigh.

Here is my yellow sticker AS AN EXAMPLE:

The "Unladen Vehicle Weight" is 7219 and the maximum payload is 1950 pounds.

The maximum the camper is allowed to weigh is 9169 pounds. If it was a travel trailer (it is actually a 5th wheel) and the camper loaded for camping (say 1000 pounds of your stuff - and with 5 kids you will be at least that); the towing weight is 8200 pounds. That means with a properly balanced (12% of camper weight) load your tongue weight would be 984 pounds.

That is how you find out how big a camper you should be looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blacked out.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	32990  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As I said the 6683 dry number is worthless.
That is the number when the camper leaves the factory.

Once it gets to the dealer these are add ons in Most cases.

Battery 60-80 lbs
Propane tanks full of propane 60-90 lbs
Awning?
Microwave?
Spare tire and holder 100+ LBS
Stabilizer jacks 60 -80 LBS

SO BY MY calculations that's teetering on 7000 lbs delivered to you.

Now add your stuff albeit minimal in your words.

User average added items is 1000 lbs.
Now lets cut in half cause you load light.
500 lbs

Now your at 7500

Add hitch and sway bars

Follow me now ?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #25

I looked up the trailer, it has a GVWR 7722 which is 22lbs over max. Just weigh yourself and stay under 7700. I did not see what year Tahoe you have but the 2013 has a little over 1600lbs payload. Having a 900lb tongue weight, you will have 700lbs left in payload. You should be "OK" if all the numbers match and you stay within the max. You will need a good sway control hitch for that wheel base. It won't be the most fun towing experience but it looks like it may be doable.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #26

[QUOTE=steeleshark2;399590]I looked up the trailer, it has a GVWR 7722 which is 22lbs over max. Just weigh yourself and stay under 7700. I did not see what year Tahoe you have but the 2013 has a little over 1600lbs payload. Having a 900lb tongue weight, you will have 700lbs left in payload. You should be "OK" if all the numbers match and you stay within the max. You will need a good sway control hitch for that wheel base. It won't be the most fun towing experience but it looks like it may be doable.
2007 Tahoe side door says 7700 max .
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #27

[QUOTE=cxccheermom5;399616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
I looked up the trailer, it has a GVWR 7722 which is 22lbs over max. Just weigh yourself and stay under 7700. I did not see what year Tahoe you have but the 2013 has a little over 1600lbs payload. Having a 900lb tongue weight, you will have 700lbs left in payload. You should be "OK" if all the numbers match and you stay within the max. You will need a good sway control hitch for that wheel base. It won't be the most fun towing experience but it looks like it may be doable.
2007 Tahoe side door says 7700 max .

Looked up 2007 Chevy it says 1835 max payload. Is that what I'm looking for?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #28

[QUOTE=cxccheermom5;399649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxccheermom5 View Post

Looked up 2007 Chevy it says 1835 max payload. Is that what I'm looking for?
Just did a quick search and came up with 1835 for the max payload and 7500 for the max tow (2007 Chevrolet Tahoe engine)

Edit: 116" wheelbase! Make sure you have some good tires on your Tahoe!

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Look on your door jamb or door
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #30
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Yep, you're looking for one of the first two photos that I posted. Not sure what yours will look like, but they should tell you "occupants and cargo cannot exceed X pounds". That number is your payload from the factory for your exact vehicle.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Yep, you're looking for one of the first two photos that I posted. Not sure what yours will look like, but they should tell you "occupants and cargo cannot exceed X pounds". That number is your payload from the factory for your exact vehicle.
And I would go by that and not what's posted online .
My trucks payload online is 500 lbs off from actual sticker.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130612_205101.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	33007
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:

And I would go by that and not what's posted online .
My trucks payload online is 500 lbs off from actual sticker.
Yup. It all comes down to actual options and whatnot when the truck was ordered. Mine is only about 150 pounds difference.

But, a trip to the dump (to drop off yard waste) told me that with a full tank of fuel and without me- my truck has about 385 pounds of stuff added to it in the form of my gooseneck hitch, rolltop bed cover and the random assortment of stuff in the truck.

Once I add my family, some nominal amount of stuff in the bed, stuff we carry for long rides (electronics, activities, snacks, drinks, baby stuff, etc)- hat adds up close to 850 pounds or something.

And- I'm beating the horse here, getting weighed is huge. It tells you so much for your REAL situation.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #34

Quote:
It actually doesn't have payload stated anywhere it has towing capacity 7700 with front rear axles info and that's it.I'm pretty ignorant about this so am I looking for other wording? But there's no other numbers on there just a very tiny sticker. Found the payload figure online found the gcvw in my manual
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #35
Always Learning

Do you have any stickers on your door jamb (look high, look low) or maybe glove box that look like any of the following?
sticker 1
or, it may look like this:
sticker 2
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #36

Quote:
It actually doesn't have payload stated anywhere it has towing capacity 7700 with front rear axles info and that's it.I'm pretty ignorant about this so am I looking for other wording? But there's no other numbers on there just a very tiny sticker. Found the payload figure online found the gcvw in my manual
Sorry I am very new to this forum and didn't scroll up enough to see the other post where it was clearly explained how it was worded! Thank you for your patience with me! I double checked and its one tiny sticker with gvw gawr &frt gawr RR then tire sizes and VIN. Nothing else.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #37

Hello, Turbo and Ependydad There are alot of interesting threads on weights, towing and what not. When I bought our new RV, I thought I did all the research I needed, but when I visited and participated in this site, I figured out I didn't know everything, but what can I say, I'm a guy. A 3500 would be over-kill for me and a 2500 is in my future.........BUT. What I have gathered is, the truck'ssuspension can handle a specified weight and the truck's engine and gear ratio can handle a specified weight. I already knew I had to look at towing capacity (GCVWR) and payload. I thought I had it all figured out and for the short trips we take, I am overloaded, but good for now until I get a new TV. But, there is still so many contradicing thoughts from towers and truck sellers. For example: If you have a 2013 GMC 2500 crew cab with 3.73 gears, you can tow 9,700 lbs. and the payload is 3066 lbs. But, if you have the same truck with a diesel, you can tow 15,800 lbs. Same suspension, different drive train. Both trucks handle the same weight, but the deisel can "pull" more.

So why wouldn'tI have thought that with my 1500? If the same truck can handle more based on engine or gear ratio, I mustbe good. Ser my point?

So, I am thinking that I need a 2500 after the beating I took last week, (which was fun and I was not offended) but if I go to a 2500 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, the max tow is 9400 lbs. (disappointing) The payload difference is huge, 1300 for the 1500 RAM to 3066 for the GMC. The GCWR for the Dodge is 14K and 16K for the GMC.

So, I could trade my truck in for a new 2500 but the tow ratings are so close, I have to wonder if it'sreally worth it. What do you think?? Without telling me to go to the scales. They are 57 miles away. And, I don't think the dealer will let me bolt a fifth wheel hitch in the truck and borrow it for 6 hours to hook my RV up and take it for a round trip to the scales.

Lets look at Turbo's set-up for an example. He tows a a 5r with a 1872 pin, Dry Trailer of 9572 and fully loaded of 12032. Now, if He pulled that with a GMC 2500 Gasser, would He be overloaded ?

Looking for feedback, not a towing lesson, please
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #38
Always Learning

Quote:

Sorry I am very new to this forum and didn't scroll up enough to see the other post where it was clearly explained how it was worded! Thank you for your patience with me! I double checked and its one tiny sticker with gvw gawr &frt gawr RR then tire sizes and VIN. Nothing else.
There are typically 2 stickers. The one you found and then the other one.

If you only have the one you posted, you're going to need to go get your truck weighed with your passengers and a regular camping load. Is that something that you would consider doing?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
There are typically 2 stickers. The one you found and then the other one.

If you only have the one you posted, you're going to need to go get your truck weighed with your passengers and a regular camping load. Is that something that you would consider doing?

Probably 1-2 hour drive to have it weighed. But honestly if I need it weighed to make sure because its that close thinking its too much to tow which is what my instincts tell me. I'd rather settle for the other model we looked at that's 1000 lbs lighter that I'm confident my husband can tow without having to worry about my family or someone else's getting injured.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
Always Learning

I'm surprised it is such a drive to go get weighed. Usually truck stops have scales, but even a lot of more rural places have scales (for instance, of county's garbage dump has them and I've ran across them with just my truck before). Is there a quarry or landscape supply place near you?