Old 02-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Newbie questions Re Geo Pro 17RK

First thanks for the add to the forum! Im in the process of purchasing a new Geo Pro 17RK ( will poss be signing this weekend). After reading some other posts regarding Rockwood claiming tongue weights to be far lower than what they actually are, Im a bit concerned im pushing the limit a bit too far.
In other threads with diff models but similar stated tongue weight, I have seen folks claiming they are near 600Lbs!! Per the Geo Pro brochure, the tongue weight of the 17RK is 394 Lbs and dry trailer weight of 2935 Lbs. Does anyone have this trailer and know what the weight actually is (with tanks/battery/etc)?? At a minimum, Im considering omitting the tounge mounted bike racks and only running one battery vs two. I feel like I am safe as far as dry weight but am concerned about tongue weight.

My vehicle is a 2018 4wd Toyota 4Runner rated at 500/5000. I'm planning in running a LDH as well as i am in the process of upgrading shocks/ springs.Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my newbie questions. -Dan

TraumaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

From what I see in this tow sub-forum, the limit is not the tow capacity but the cargo capacity and load rating of the rear axle. I just picked up my trailer and my first stop was the CAT scale.
Check your door jamb sticker and add up your cargo inside the 4 Runner and subtract from the claimed GVWR. What's left is for your tongue weight.
As always, advertised weights are empty trailers, no accessories, no propane and no batteries.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Site Team

All single axle trailers will have a higher tongue weight, than a comparable tandem axle trailer.
Because tandem axles can spread the weight better, than a single axle.
RV manufacturers don't want buyers with midsized SUVs or CUVs, to know this because it would hurt sales.
It's all marketing, like 1/2 Towable 5th Wheels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

FWIW, my TT has an empty weight of 3600 and the CAT scale showed it weighed 4000 with propane and batteries but empty otherwise.. I reckon a rule of thumb is to add 10% to a TT empty weight to determine it's actual weight. Same goes for hitch weight.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Welcome aboard TraumaDan! Your concerns are valid. A weight distribution hitch alone can add 100 lbs to the tongue weight. I wanted to get the same vehicle you have. Fortunately, I had not bought it yet, and ended up getting a Ford F150, as I knew I would be above the 500 lb tongue weight limit on every mid sized SUV sold.

Tags