Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #1

NEWBIE...Towing 97 Passat with a 335DS Georgetown.

We pick up our 2012 Georgetown class A this week and want our TOAD to be a 1997 Passat. If we are looking for a dinghy, what exactly am I needing? I keep researching, and the more I look the more confused I get. Help wanted!!! Thanks for any tips and ideas.
Edward and Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
RJJ

Don't know what info you have so far, so my first question would be, are you sure it can be flat towed or is it front wheel drive and you're looking to dolly tow it?

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

If it has a manual transmission stick you can tow it.
If it's automatic I don't believe so for that old of a car.
You will need a plate that attached to the car frame that will then be hooked up to a tow bar on the motorhome.

Here is the base plate you need for a 1996 VW Passat.

https://www.etrailer.com/towbar-1997...gen_Passat.htm

You can read more about it on the website.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Thank you so much. Yes, it is a manual transmission. We thought we would do a dolly, then decided a dinghy... but we are unsure exactly what we need to make us comfortable. Do we need a breaking system on the car? I am sorry if this is such a basic question, we are very new and have not RV'd, although we watch tons of youtube channels to get help, but on this topic I am stumped. I don't want to pull my 2015 Jeep around quite yet, so we have this lil' beater car for the toad.
Edward and Shawn Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward and Shawn Wright View Post
Thank you so much. Yes, it is a manual transmission. We thought we would do a dolly, then decided a dinghy... but we are unsure exactly what we need to make us comfortable. Do we need a breaking system on the car? I am sorry if this is such a basic question, we are very new and have not RV'd, although we watch tons of youtube channels to get help, but on this topic I am stumped. I don't want to pull my 2015 Jeep around quite yet, so we have this lil' beater car for the toad.
Your car should need a braking system if it weighs over 3,000 lbs in most states. Some states say anything over 1,000 lbs need brake assist.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, newbie, towing