Old 11-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #21

Ken, but doesn't the Propride-Hensley config eliminate or seriously reduce sway? I assumed that adding that ridiculously priced hitch would make for better handling in harsh conditions, or when a larger truck screams by.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #22

elika, there is no consensus on your question. My personal conclusion is that, particularly on 1/2 ton trucks, you can make a few basic modifications that will allow you to safely carry more weight on the chassis. My advice to you would be to add air bags, better rear shocks (I recommend Rancho RS9000XL as they are adjustable for better unloaded ride comfort), and LT tires. I would also go with the ProPride 3P hitch. Attempt to load as light as possible in the truck. Load most items in the camper- this means the truck only sees 12% or so of the weight as opposed to 100%. But don't overload the camper, either. After you've done all of this, take the rig out and see what you think. I think you'll find you've got a very nice handling rig that is completely safe and will have NO SWAY, thanks to the ProPride. I'm pulling a longer and heavier trailer right now with my F150 and a ProPride than I did with 2 different F250's and a cheap hitch. I'll take the 150 with the ProPride any day- much safer IMHO now that sway is eliminated.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #23

Hi Dustman, our F150 has Michelin LTX A/S tires - would you happen to know whether these are LT tires? I do not want to assume just b/c 'LT' is in the name and I tried Google-ing it but have not found an answer, it all sounds greek to me, lol! Otherwise, what type/brand of tire do you use? Also, thanks for sharing your experience
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Hi Dustman, our F150 has Michelin LTX A/S tires - would you happen to know whether these are LT tires? I do not want to assume just b/c 'LT' is in the name and I tried Google-ing it but have not found an answer, it all sounds greek to me, lol! Otherwise, what type/brand of tire do you use? Also, thanks for sharing your experience
Imo Firestone transforce e rated lt is the best bang for the buck.

Had 4 sets on two trucks and love them

Turbs
Old 11-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #25

Dustman, thanks! That is what I was thinking (at least with the 3P hitch). Doesn't the 3P add another 200lbs or so though? The rv dealer wants to sell me some crappy Wd hitch but I'm pretty much sold on the Propride since I'm brand new at trailering and not ready for white knuckle driving. My plan is only to tow occasionally, like camping or when we move from the west coast back to the east (taking two vehicles so less pax in my truck). I am game for upgrading my tires to LTs - is there a certain type I should go with or stay away from? I wasn't prepared for the shock upgrade, however, my truck is already equipped with the max trailering option, oil tyranny cooler, and has airbags of course. Anything I am missing? I assumed the rv dealer wouldn't let me off the lot unless all the numbers were correct but maybe I'm wrong and they just want to make a sale? I would think that would be illegal but perhaps it's on me, not them.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #26

Cool! Thanks for the recommendation Turbs!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Cool! Thanks for the recommendation Turbs!
Your welcome!
Tread wear is amazing!

Turbs
Old 11-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #28

To find out if they are LT tires you need to look at the sidewall and look for a number like LT265-70r17. If the number has LT as the first letter (as the example) you have LT tires. If it has P you have passenger tires. As far as a brand goes it depends on the size of you tire, if they are 20 inch you will have a lot less choice than if you have 17 inch.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #29

All the add-ons help but ultimately you will have decide for yourself as to what makes you comfortable while towing. People tow large trailers with 1/2 tons all the time. For me at least, it is the of piece of mind of not having to worry about everything being pushed to the limit. Maybe you should buy the trailer, tow it around and see how it goes. Everything could very well be just fine.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #30

Quote:
If you look at the size of the tire on the tire itself, it should say either LT or P, followed by the size. We have some tire experts on here that can tell you if this is the case across the board. Also, there are different load ratings for LT tires. A load range E will give you the stiffest sidewall. Max PSI on a LRE is 80psi, which you cannot inflate to on typical 1/2 ton wheels. Most folks that run them just inflate them to the max PSI of the wheel, in most cases I think this is ~50PSI.

Tags
newbie, towing, towing capacity