Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

newbie with tongue weight question

I'm new to towing a travel trailer. Just recently bought a

Forest River Rockwood Ultra Lite. It came with a Equalizer WD/Sway control hitch. It seems to tow pretty good most of the time if I stay about at 50-55 mph. However, any gust of wind immediately gives me some sway and for a few seconds I feel like the front end might be floating and anything could happen. That might just be my imagination and I've gotten a little accustomed to it.

TV: 2010 Expedition EL (131" wheelbase) with heavy duty tow package. Front GAWR 3700, Rear GAWR 4250, GVWR 7540. Max tow weight 8900, max tongue weight 890.

TT: 2015 Forest River Rockwood 2702SS. Total length 31'11", UVW 5246, GVW 6629, CCC 1345.

Recent weights at CAT Scale:
TV without TT: Front 2920, Rear 3160
TV + TT: Front 2720, Rear 4080, TT Axles 5580.

So if tongue weight = TV with TT attached minus TV alone I get 720.
If tongue weight = the difference in the TV rear axle with and without TT attached I get 920. Which, if either, is correct?

Also, these numbers are with weight distribution. I've since purchased a tongue scale which of course gives higher values than when the WD hitch is in play. I have very little in the front storage compartment and very little in the front part of the TT interior, yet can't get the tongue scale to read below 900 except when I filled the gray tank to offset the tongue weight.

I'm thinking about getting a ProPride hitch to fix my sway, but it is going to add another 100 pounds or so to the tongue, and I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Any tips on how to interpret these numbers and if the new hitch will work out would be appreciated.
dano50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

I am no expert, but it appears you need to put more tension on your spring bars. When properly set up the WD hitch should add some weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle. Yours is taking weight off the front axle, contributing to sway. I would try this before springing for a new hitch.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

Your TW is probably about 900 since usually about 20% of that gets transferred to the trailer axles when the WDH is applied. You should probably try to restore more weight to your front axle since it is shy by 200 lbs. The front axle should not weigh more than without the trailer attached.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

To start with, I would adjust the WD to get your front axle down to at least where it was to begin with. You've lost 200 lb from the front axle. This is not good for handling.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

2018 Forest River Surveyor 253RBS
2017 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 Tow package
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

I did notice the front axle was 200 lbs lighter and I will make an adjustment on the WDH. Any ideas on how to lower my tongue weight? Is the added weight of the Pro Pride hitch just a bad idea?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Truck gvwr (7540) - actual truck scaled weight (6080)= 1640 lbs available payload
Truck weight with tt is 6800 so you are under your gvwr which is good news.
The wdh transfers some of the tongue weight back to the tt. I usually try to get a weight without wdh. The difference from unhitched tv weight to hitched tv weight without wdh would be your tongue weight.

You need to adjust your wdh to put more weight on your front axle. You want the front axle as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier. That said, you have a listed hitch weight of 890 which you are likely over. I had this same issue on my old armada. I never could get it to handle well and finally traded out for a bigger pickup.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post
I did notice the front axle was 200 lbs lighter and I will make an adjustment on the WDH. Any ideas on how to lower my tongue weight? Is the added weight of the Pro Pride hitch just a bad idea?

Don't lower your tongue weight. Too light in the front and heavy in the rear can induce a sway condition. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded tt weight.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

There is a long list of things you need to check. First thing is TV tires, are they P rated tires? Are they properly inflated for the weight of load? Most P rated rated tires need max pressure usually 44 PSI. LT tires will handle better. Helper springs or better yet airbags should be considered. Cat scales website shows you how to weight to get tongue weights which includes weighing with and without WD engaged. Is camper level when hitched? This is important.
The fact is, it is 32 ft long it's going to wiggle now and again. I am in battle with this very same issue. I started with the Andersen no sway from previous TT it did great with that one but new TT not so much. Controlled sway mostly but could not not distribute weight well enough. So I got the Blue Ox still wiggles but it alot better than before. I don't like it as much as I did when I first got it. I was hurt by it disengaging bars. Probably my own fault but still. I am extremely luck to have given to me a Hensley arrow missing a piece or two. I get to hook up with it next weekend for the first time. I have to cut up hitch bar to shorten the drop and weld back together. Which is much better than spending over $200 for a shorter one. Look for an update with the Hensley its is about the same as the P3. Sorry got off track a little but do more homework. Try different things.
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #9

Go to the Equalizer hitch website and download the manual. Pay particular attention to the directions for setting the height of the front fender.
Installation Instructions & Parts Breakdown
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #10

I have downloaded the Equalizer hitch manual. A few weeks ago I moved the sway bracket setup to the optimum 32" from where the dealer had installed it. That made a noticeable difference.

Since posting here, I went out and raised the L bracket one notch. That should move the needed weight to the front axle.

The Expedition has air suspension. I do still have P rated tires which are inflated to the maximum 44lbs. I will be changing them out for LT tires if EVERYTHING else works out. I don't want to replace good tires if I find that what I really need is a different tow vehicle.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am still wondering if my tongue weight is a problem or I am unnecessarily concerned.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The p rated tires will give you more wiggle on the road than LT tires due to them having a less stiff sidewall.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #12

uhduh camping Are you saying to weigh once with everything set up as it would be for travel and then again with TT attached but WD bars removed? I've done it with TV alone and then with TT attached and all set up for travel.
Camper is almost level when attached; about 1" low at rear end. It was lower so I lowered the hitch one hole. I hesitate to lower it again because the holes are 2+" apart.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

At this point you could just weigh one more time, just tv and tt without the bars hooked up (take them off in the parking lot, drive over scale and put them back on).

I used to adjust my wdh by weights instead of measurements. I learned to do it this way because my armada had load leveling suspension that interfered with my measurements.

These threads may help you understand things better.
wdh set up procedure

how wdh works
Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 AM   #14

Quote:
I think you misunderstand what a WD hitch does. Forget about the tongue weight for a minute. Your tongue weight is fine or could be a little more. TW is good (to a point).

When you put a weight on the back of your truck. It will push down on the back of your truck and lift the front end. Think of a child's seesaw. The WD hitch works by a system of levers to distribute the weight back to the front end and that is what you desire. It is not a question of lowering the TW. Also, changing the hitch height is not the way to acheive weight distribution, although hitch height is important for leveling your trailer.

Read your instructions again paying attention to where they talk about front wheel fender height and how to lower it.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

2018 Forest River Surveyor 253RBS
2017 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 Tow package
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:55 AM   #15

Quote:
uhduh camping Are you saying to weigh once with everything set up as it would be for travel and then again with TT attached but WD bars removed? I've done it with TV alone and then with TT attached and all set up for travel.
Camper is almost level when attached; about 1" low at rear end. It was lower so I lowered the hitch one hole. I hesitate to lower it again because the holes are 2+" apart.
Yes that what I'm saying. It is usually a short trip across the parking lot. The CAT scales close to me are never busy I can disconnect right on scales. Try this link to help you out. Link starts out at step four but click on step one if unsure.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator | Safety Report
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:11 AM   #16

Also check the torque of the bolts where the bars slip into the hitch head. The swivels should be properly torqued according to manual and also lubricated. I believe it is page 22 in manual. I had the same issue when dealer set mine up and they over torqued the bolts. I backed them down to proper specs and never had any issue since.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #17

Thank you. So at what point does tongue weight stop being good. I was thinking that point would be when it exceeded the TV manufacturers specs. Forgive me if it sounds like I'm arguing with you. Just trying to make sense of all this different information.
Yes, I was only thinking of lowering the hitch to level the trailer (or make it slightly low in front rather than in the back).
Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #18

As pwrstroke said check the torque on the socket bolts. I torque mine to 60. The bars should be hard to move back and forth. This is where most of the sway control comes from.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #19

Set your tongue weight as specified by your TV/TT. Use your WD bars to get you level and go have fun.
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #20

Get yourself a Sherline Tongue Weight Scale from Etrailer.com. Measure twice and hook up and go
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, weight