Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #1

Newbie with towing question

We are picking up our 1st RV a ROO 2013 Model 23IKSS this Friday. The dealer sold us a WDH Husky model 31422 $491.00, Install sway control $185.00 and brake controler 204.50.

I have a 2010 Ford F150 Lariat with tow package. It has a class IV hitch, upgraded radiator and aux trans oil cooler and build in sway control.

It seems to me I'm being over charged on these items and they may not be the best one on the market for the money. I admit I'm not real knowledgeable on these things as I never had to use them before. So I'm seeking advise from people that have.

Thanks for your advise.

Bill
Photobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You can get a Husky WDH for under $300 online, but will have to pay some shipping.

Etrailer offers some friction sway control bars for under $50.

Top of the line brake controllers are $140, and since your truck came with the tow package that was probably a plug and play operation. Make sure the dealer didn't install a time delay unit......you want a proportional controller.

The dealer made a tidy little profit installing those parts.....but those costs are probably near the norm when having a dealer install those items.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
CampingQueen

If your ford truck has the upgraded tow package (which it sounds like it does) it most likely is already wired for the brake controller and all you have to do is plug the thing in.

When I bought my new expedition the dealer quoted me about $300 to install a brake controller. I was able to pick up a prodigy2 digital controller nline for about $120 as I remember, and installed myself in about 10 minutes after watching the videos on etrailer.

Check out this video... Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2010 Ford F-150 Video | etrailer.com

As far as the hitch/etc. My RV dealer included the hitch setup in the price of the unit - it was not a separate item. With my first RV (popup, towing with van) they included the brake controller and hitch receiver, etc in the price of the unit. Took them all day to install/wire that brake controller on my van - I'm sure they lost money on that one.

When we upgraded from our popup to the TT, they upgraded our hitch (new ball, new WD bars) at no charge and gave me a 'discount' off the price of the TT since they didn't have to do anything special to the expedition as it already had heavy duty tow package.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

You can tow the trailer home w/o the WDH.
Here is one for $261.64 with free shipping.
Husky 31422 Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch with Bolt-Together Ball Mount/Shank Assembly 800 Lbs Max Tongue : Amazon.com : Automotive
Do some research on anti sway. If you get spring bars that have the curved end you can use the Reese Dual Cam linkage - it works great and is less than $200. DIY install too.
Trailer Hitches, Hitch Accessories, Hitch Wiring
I had the Ford dealer install the OEM brake controller and flash the computer for about $225.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
You can tow the trailer home w/o the WDH.
Probably not a good idea.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'd cancel that order with the dealer and arrange your own. As mentioned a proportional controller such as Prodigy P2 or P3 and a Equal-i-zer W/D hitch with integrated sway control...the 10000 lb with 1000 lb spring bars would be the right size. The brake controller is a plug in unit and the W/D hitch is an easy install and a much better unit. You'll need to know how to set-up the hitch anyways to fine tune it. You'll save money too.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Probably not a good idea.
Yeah...maybe not... Sorry
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobill View Post
We are picking up our 1st RV a ROO 2013 Model 23IKSS this Friday. The dealer sold us a WDH Husky model 31422 $491.00, Install sway control $185.00 and brake controler 204.50.

I have a 2010 Ford F150 Lariat with tow package. It has a class IV hitch, upgraded radiator and aux trans oil cooler and build in sway control.

It seems to me I'm being over charged on these items and they may not be the best one on the market for the money. I admit I'm not real knowledgeable on these things as I never had to use them before. So I'm seeking advise from people that have.

Thanks for your advise.

Bill
YES! you got overcharged for average equipment!

you can get the Equalizer with free shipping for $440, way better than a Husky.
a Prodigy P2 brake controller costs less than $100 and easy to install. Plug and play harness costs about $15.

cancel the Husky and the controller and have RVW ship you the Equalizer and Prodigy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely cancel that order of equipment. You can get a prodigy P2 or P3 for between $100-120 on ebay and the ford plug in wiring harness for something like $15. Your truck is probably prewired for this. the husky hitch is not a high quality hitch. You will be happier with either the equal-i-zer or reese dual cam. Ask your dealer about those hitches and be prepared with prices. We got ours thrown into our trailer deal for a reasonable price. The dealership installed it very poorly and we spent a long time trying to fix the set up. They bolted it on farther forward on one side then the other. made for a bad towing experience and difficult to dial in our cams. You might do better to install yourself but this will be tricky as you need the TT do to that. You could let the dealership install it but realize you will be dialing it in better on your own later. The equal-i-zer and reese dual cam are WDH w/ integrated sway control and IMHO you will be happier with this set up than a friction sway bar. A friction sway bar will require you to take off to back up the TT, the integrated will not. Also, doesn't the 2010 F150 tow package have a factory integrated brake controller? My 09 F250 diesel came w/ the factory integrated brake controller. If you have this, you do not need to buy a brake controller.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Definitely cancel that order of equipment. You can get a prodigy P2 or P3 for between $100-120 on ebay and the ford plug in wiring harness for something like $15. Your truck is probably prewired for this. the husky hitch is not a high quality hitch. You will be happier with either the equal-i-zer or reese dual cam. Ask your dealer about those hitches and be prepared with prices. We got ours thrown into our trailer deal for a reasonable price. The dealership installed it very poorly and we spent a long time trying to fix the set up. They bolted it on farther forward on one side then the other. made for a bad towing experience and difficult to dial in our cams. You might do better to install yourself but this will be tricky as you need the TT do to that. You could let the dealership install it but realize you will be dialing it in better on your own later. The equal-i-zer and reese dual cam are WDH w/ integrated sway control and IMHO you will be happier with this set up than a friction sway bar. A friction sway bar will require you to take off to back up the TT, the integrated will not. Also, doesn't the 2010 F150 tow package have a factory integrated brake controller? My 09 F250 diesel came w/ the factory integrated brake controller. If you have this, you do not need to buy a brake controller.
In the morning I'm going to cancel the WD hitch from the dealer, delay pick up of the TT this Friday and order the Equalizer hitch and Prodigy 2 Brake Controller from RVW and have the dealer install them when I pick up the TT on the 18th. I purchased the truck used this summer and it has the standard tow package. The OEM brake controller is included with the Max. tow package.

Thanks for all your advise guys.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Smart move. We originally had a deal for a husky Wdh w/ friction sway control. Talked to dealer, agreed to pay an extra hundred for Reese dual cam after I was advised to do so. Glad I made the change. Good luck and enjoy the New tt.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

Thanks for your advise.

Bill
This is classic dealer behavior. After beating them up to get the truck for the best price you can, you let your guard down and they take that opportunity to load up the sale with high profit "extras." Better tires, high markup dealer installed items (like paint hardeners, "free oil changes" etc), and high priced extended warranties are the norm to jack up the profit margin after the sale.

This sneaky tactic typically happens in the "finance office" where they talk in "dollars per month" rather than total cost to you. By rolling it into the loan (if you get one) they can rape you good without you realizing you will be paying over 1,000 bucks for that "paint hardener" treatment that costs the dealer 50 dollars.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
In the morning I'm going to cancel the WD hitch from the dealer, delay pick up of the TT this Friday and order the Equalizer hitch and Prodigy 2 Brake Controller from RVW and have the dealer install them when I pick up the TT on the 18th. I purchased the truck used this summer and it has the standard tow package. The OEM brake controller is included with the Max. tow package.

Thanks for all your advise guys.
Hey,is the same dealer who was going to sell you the Huskey going to install the E hitch & brake control? How much for this install? Especially since you didnt BUY from HIM! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Installing the Equalizer is not all that hard.
The hard part is installing and torquing the ball.

I guarantee the dealer will not have the required socket and will charge you for buying it (about 75 bucks) and he will keep it. http://www.hitchsource.com/equalizer...t-p-28951.html

U-Haul will have the socket and the tools to do the installation. They most likely will be half what your truck dealer will charge you.

As to the rest, if you can use a screwdriver without drawing blood, do it yourself.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Installing the Equalizer is not all that hard.
The hard part is installing and torquing the ball.

I guarantee the dealer will not have the required socket and will charge you for buying it (about 75 bucks) and he will keep it. Equalizer 1-7/8" Thin Wall Socket - By Equal-i-zer

U-Haul will have the socket and the tools to do the installation. They most likely will be half what your truck dealer will charge you.

As to the rest, if you can use a screwdriver without drawing blood, do it yourself.
Well the dealer will have the socket because they sell the Equalizer for $750. I just purchased it for only $446.99, ball $26 and Prodigy 2 Brake Controller for $99.99. Dealer wants $300 to install everything. And since it would not be safe to drive the camper home (50 miles, heavy traffic) without it, I will have to pay them the $300 install cost. I'm still coming out for about the same cost as before but with much better equipment. Thanks everyone for your advise.

Bill & Judy
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

Well the dealer will have the socket because they sell the Equalizer for $750. I just purchased it for only $446.99, ball $26 and Prodigy 2 Brake Controller for $99.99. Dealer wants $300 to install everything. And since it would not be safe to drive the camper home (50 miles, heavy traffic) without it, I will have to pay them the $300 install cost. I'm still coming out for about the same cost as before but with much better equipment. Thanks everyone for your advise.

Bill & Judy
Good move!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #17

I found the socket to fit the Equalizer hitch on Amazon for $30.00 plus shipping. It is made by Sunex and worked like a charm. Just a little FYI for anyone that needs one.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

Bill & Judy
Sorry Bill,

My dealer did not sell Equilizer. I had the impression you got the hitch online and your dealer was not a vendor of that system.

Lou
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Sorry Bill,

My dealer did not sell Equilizer. I had the impression you got the hitch online and your dealer was not a vendor of that system.

Lou
I did get the Equalizer hitch online from RVW. My dealer sells it for 750 and I got it for 446 from RVW.