Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #41
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I used to think that slides were just "something else to have go wrong".

After having two RV's with them, I'll never get another one without them.

REally, they aren't prone to the problems anymore.

That is not to say that there are some that do have issues with slides...but it is kinda like buying a new car and not driving it because you are worried about it getting a dent in a parking lot!

Or worried about putting any miles on it...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step3313 View Post
We only had the money to purchase a 2-3 year old truck so when we searched for used Colorados very few were found. After about a week we started looking for 2-3 year old Silverado 1500. We discovered that there were so many more out on the lots.

In the end we found a 2016 Silverado 1500LT with a V8. 6ft 6" Bed and the Factory Tow Package. It had 23,000 miles and looks like new. So far we really like it and are using it more and more every day. With the WD Equalizer hitch towing is very easy and feels super secure. We love the factory trailer brake setup plus the lower rear gears help towing on the few hills encountered. This Silverado is a very comfortable and solid truck plus super quiet on the road.
Good luck to you no matter what direction you head.
We're considering our options on this. We lucked out with our Colorado because a contractor had purchased it and quickly realized he needed more truck so we got a hell of a deal. Financed the truck and rolled the remainder of the car loan into it for less than the truck would have costed new.

Cop or CO?
MisterShockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
My husband needs his own screen name.
And now I do!

When we looked for a truck, we decided on the Colorado because it just felt right. We liked the way it handled, it didn't seem honking huge like the Ram, good turning radius, and we lucked into a really good deal.

While it looks like the F150 might be our best option right now, I was NOT fond of the cab layout. We shall see on that. What about Toyota's or Nissan's? I'm by no stretch of the imagination brand specific. I know people who will ONLY buy Ford, or Chevy, or Dodge. Personally, I feel they all have decent products or they wouldn't have been around as long as they have. To me, the difference is little things like the cab layout and all of those other little details that make a vehicle an individual.

Then again, we also need to decide the when. If we trade now we have a chance to have the truck mostly paid off when we retire. The trade off is the hit we will take on gas mileage in the mean time. Plenty of food for thought. Thanks for all the input!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShockley View Post
If we trade now we have a chance to have the truck mostly paid off when we retire. The trade off is the hit we will take on gas mileage in the mean time. Plenty of food for thought. Thanks for all the input!
If gas mileage is a major concern, then an RV is not for you.

Once you hitch that thing to the back of any truck...bye bye gas mileage!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If gas mileage is a major concern, then an RV is not for you.

Once you hitch that thing to the back of any truck...bye bye gas mileage!
The gas mileage while still driving to work is the concern. We understand that while RVing we can expect to average 10 and under MPG. Not acceptable when driving to work. Granted, I would get more than that when not pulling a trailer, but as previously stated the Colorado gets excellent gas mileage and we are loath to give that up until necessary.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #46

Quote:
The gas mileage while still driving to work is the concern. We understand that while RVing we can expect to average 10 and under MPG. Not acceptable when driving to work. Granted, I would get more than that when not pulling a trailer, but as previously stated the Colorado gets excellent gas mileage and we are loath to give that up until necessary.
One thing to keep in mind...

More important than gas mileage is having a truck that is more than capable of the trailer you want to tow.

Because if the truck ain't big enough...you may not be able to stop it!

Unfortunately, there are far too many out there hauling campers that are way too big for the truck that they have and will use almost any excuse to justify their decision.

Not saying that is what you are doing...but just pointing that out to you.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #47

Oh, thats not an issue for us right now. We dont own the trailer yet and probably wont buy for several years. Just doing the research in advance.

That being said, another question along the same line. When a trailer lists cargo capacity, we understand it includes batteries, propane, water, black and grey tanks, and clothing and what nots stored inside. Is this number only while being pulled or does it count when its parked and set up as well. In other words, if (for some bizarre reason) we had a trailer packed to capacity but parked, when we step in do we risk damaging the trailer because we have exceeded maximum cargo capacity?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Any modern 1/2 ton can get 20+ mpg on the highway.
15-17mpg combined.
I'm not brand loyal. I buy for what can get for the price.
I ended up with a F150 3.5 v-6 Ecoboost SCREW with the Max Tow package. I love the truck.
IMHO, the F150 Ecoboost is best equipped 1/2 ton for towing, on the market.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #49

Without looking at any numbers that trailer is to much for that truck. I know you are over payload and your ability to stop that trailer is not good.
Jdb95661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Cop or CO?
Fire Dept Deputy Chief. It's an older photo but the easiest to find quickly for my profile. Long since retired.
2016 Silverado LT with Tow Option
2step3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step3313 View Post
Fire Dept Deputy Chief. It's an older photo but the easiest to find quickly for my profile. Long since retired.
LOL! Hadn't thought of that! Corrections is where I work and we both qualify to retire next year but will probably go 5 years past that.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Because it gets 28mpg, it means it's not that great for towing.
Good towing vehicles have lower towing gears, which means lower mpg.
I have the equivalent 2016 Canyon. Tow a 4100 dry weight 2104s RW Minlight. There is a "tow/haul" mode which makes the gear adjustment you are referring to. Definitely slows down on steep grades but otherwise does a fine job of towing my TT
fckohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #53

Great post, I'm loving all the input. I'm in the same search with my V6 Canyon, but I'm looking for a bunkhouse. Right now I'm leaning towards the Coachmen Apex series as our first TT.
mpfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #54

Now that we have your payload number, we can start calculating.
For the sake of easier math, say you load the camper with 1300 lbs of stuff. That puts your gross weight about 6000 lbs. Tongue weight should be between 10 and 15 percent of your gross. High end 15% equals 900 lbs. Subtract that from your payload number and that is what you can put in the truck...passengers, dogs, gear. Also, if you added anything to the truck, like tonneau cover, side steps, winch, etc, that weight needs to be subtracted also.

So, payload wise, and towing capacity wise, I think the numbers will be ok. You should do ok in the majority of the country. Where it may be problematic is mountainous regions and higher altitudes. They will suck the power from that little v6. So factor your locations into your towing equation.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Where it may be problematic is mountainous regions and higher altitudes. They will suck the power from that little v6. So factor your locations into your towing equation.
And this is our issue. Our son lives in Colorado and we will be going over the mountains. We have time though. We aren't planning on buying the TT for a few years yet.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #56
Canadian Member

Well, time is on your side. Do lots of research here, check out lots of RVs and RV shows, look at different brands and construction types (aluminum-sided with wood framing and Fiberglas-sided with aluminum framing). Decide on a TT and then select a TV that can handle it. Don’t be afraid to buy either a used truck or TT.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Every truck has to have that sticker. Each is unique to that truck.

Took me forever to find mine, I admit!!! I had to stand on my head.
I have the Canyon crew with 6.2 box but it has the duramax. I haul a 2015 Roo 233s! The tongue weight is the major factor here! You must have a good weight distribution hitch and that is going to add even more weight to the truck! Its important to use a cat scale to check all limits! U have a hard folding tonneau cover that was factory installed but not included in the vehicle weights so subtract another 100lbs from the trucks payload!!! The payload includes full fluids and the driver! So if you have 800lbs o the hitch you will only have room for a couple passengers!
stevens233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #58
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens233s View Post
I have the Canyon crew with 6.2 box but it has the duramax. I haul a 2015 Roo 233s! The tongue weight is the major factor here! You must have a good weight distribution hitch and that is going to add even more weight to the truck! Its important to use a cat scale to check all limits! U have a hard folding tonneau cover that was factory installed but not included in the vehicle weights so subtract another 100lbs from the trucks payload!!! The payload includes full fluids and the driver! So if you have 800lbs o the hitch you will only have room for a couple passengers!
Just curious...have you had your Colorado to a scale to learn what payload you have available (GVWR - scaled weight)? I’d think the Duramax would be heavier that a gas engine and lower your payload number?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #59

I did scale it, have lost the numbers but I know I only had about 1200lbs of payload remaining. So what I do is load as much weight to the back of the trailer as possible to take weight off the tongue! I put my Pit Boss pellet bbq all the way to the back even put my 40lbs of pellets in the very back storage! Lol but all that takes weight off the tongue which in turn give me more payload! I want to add a bike rack to the rear of the trailer but it will need to be welded to the frame! That would give me quite a bit of room on the truck!
stevens233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #60

I am pulling a 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS with my 2015 Chevy Colorado Z71. My Dry weight is 6131 lbs. With everything we carry with us, the trailer weighs in at 6860lbs. We do not carry water in the fresh water tank. We do carry 5 gallons of tap water in the back of the trailer. Tounge weight comes in at 690 lbs.

The Chevy techs at the dealership where we bought the Colorado say that we are good to tow with these weights, but they are CLOSE !! I have been towing around Florida. I have not noticed any straining of components and I do not get a lot of sway even when getting passed by buses or tractor trailers.

In 4 weeks, I will be heading to the Smokies, Blue Ridge, Pocono, Appalachin, Catskill, Berkshire and Green mountains. If you hear a big YEE -HA!!! you will know that all is going well, but if you hear a AWW-SH*T !!! you will know that I should have bought a bigger truck.

I just installed 4 Michelin Defender tires this past Wednesday. No more Wrangler OEM tires. Surprised I got 48960 miles out of them. I pulled a Rockwood Mini-Lite to Vermont and back twice with them.

Trial run with the new tires pulling the trailer to Sarasota on I-75 from Ocala is coming next weekend.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote