Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
schrederman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 977
Did I hear that Toyota will use the same 5.0 Cummins in the Tundra in the very near future? I like the looks of the new Titan... but I'd bet the Cummins option will be pricey...
__________________

__________________
J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 74
Just a thought, I have worked on heavy equipment almost 37 years and it seems to be a good thing to let first model year vehicles prove themselves. Cummins has nearly no history of having a successful V8 engine. Their inline 6 engines have been significantly better than their V series engines. V engines are great performers for the pickup segment so it would be nice if it does good. Just will need to see it give some proof. Kind of like when Ford built the 6.7 on their own.
__________________

__________________
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Blackhat6mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St Simons Island, GA
Posts: 1,204
Titan

I love Titans and had one for 7 years pulling a Passport 285. When we bought an Aviator, the Titan just couldn't cut the tow/load numbers. Had to buy up and bought a Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison and haven't looked back since. IMHO, once you own a diesel, you will never go back. The Duramax was a $7,300 addition, but worth every penny. I can't imagine something this truck won't haul. I wish Nissan had a diesel when I needed it, but too late.
__________________
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I love Titans and had one for 7 years pulling a Passport 285. When we bought an Aviator, the Titan just couldn't cut the tow/load numbers. Had to buy up and bought a Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison and haven't looked back since. IMHO, once you own a diesel, you will never go back. The Duramax was a $7,300 addition, but worth every penny. I can't imagine something this truck won't haul. I wish Nissan had a diesel when I needed it, but too late.
Except for the 6.0L PSD. That engine dove me to drink.
__________________
2014 Rockwood 2618W Windjammer
2014 F150 XLT S-Crew 4x4, 3.5L EB, 6.5' Box, Maxtow, 36g tank
SpaCityBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Rookie19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
Except for the 6.0L PSD. That engine dove me to drink.

Meh.... Just requires attention and proper maintenance.
Knock on wood I've had no issues and I'm actually taking it in to get studded as a final precaution.
__________________
Tow rig - 2006 F350 with some goodies
Trailer - 2014 T27FQDX
Toys - 2005 yfz450 with some goodies, 2005 rhino 660
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 89
I'm glad to hear that someone had very few issues with the 6.0. I didn't own it a month when Ford had to put in a new Turbocharger. It went downhill from there. About half of the work done on my engine was under warranty but a considerable amount come out of my own pocket. It was a 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie19 View Post
Meh.... Just requires attention and proper maintenance.
Knock on wood I've had no issues and I'm actually taking it in to get studded as a final precaution.
__________________
2014 Rockwood 2618W Windjammer
2014 F150 XLT S-Crew 4x4, 3.5L EB, 6.5' Box, Maxtow, 36g tank
SpaCityBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Rookie19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
I'm glad to hear that someone had very few issues with the 6.0. I didn't own it a month when Ford had to put in a new Turbocharger. It went downhill from there. About half of the work done on my engine was under warranty but a considerable amount come out of my own pocket. It was a 2004.

That sucks! Sorry you had a bad experience. I did a lot of research prior to buying my 06.
__________________
Tow rig - 2006 F350 with some goodies
Trailer - 2014 T27FQDX
Toys - 2005 yfz450 with some goodies, 2005 rhino 660
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 89
I had all but a couple of the following problems with my 6.0L stated in this article:

FORD 6.0L POWER STROKE PROBLEMS : Performance Wise

and some not stated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie19 View Post
That sucks! Sorry you had a bad experience. I did a lot of research prior to buying my 06.
__________________
2014 Rockwood 2618W Windjammer
2014 F150 XLT S-Crew 4x4, 3.5L EB, 6.5' Box, Maxtow, 36g tank
SpaCityBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Rookie19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaCityBulldog View Post
I had all but a couple of the following problems with my 6.0L stated in this article:

FORD 6.0L POWER STROKE PROBLEMS : Performance Wise

I know about all that but it's missing stuff. Anywho.... I'm confident using it to tow across country with no worries. Especially when the egr might have fallen off...
Arp studs are going in as precaution and extra confidence.
__________________
Tow rig - 2006 F350 with some goodies
Trailer - 2014 T27FQDX
Toys - 2005 yfz450 with some goodies, 2005 rhino 660
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Rookie19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 97
And to add every vehicle has its own sets of problems. Also need to realize how many more 6.0's were made over other manufacturers.
__________________

__________________
Tow rig - 2006 F350 with some goodies
Trailer - 2014 T27FQDX
Toys - 2005 yfz450 with some goodies, 2005 rhino 660
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.