Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy57 View Post
Just got my rig back, shop replaced the rear ring and pinion. It is much quieter but still has noise at highway cruising speed. It of course goes away if i pull it out of gear, accelerate or let off the throttle.

Shop explained it away as "normal'"with a higher ratio gear set. Of course they did this the last set as well. Shop Manager did say the pattern didn't set right on the first set.

I have a feeling its just going to get louder as it did before. At this point it has about 100 miles that the shop put on the gear set. I may take it somewhere else to take a look.
Is this a car/truck shop or BS manufacturer?
My vote is for the latter option.
I will assure you any noise you have now will not go away later.

File a complaint with the BBB and find another shop to redo the work again.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #42
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
My vote is .......same guy, same shop of course got to do it again..same answer...noise!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #43

It's not a shop it's a big shop they do a lot of drive train/Axles on motor home busses and fleet trucks.
coffeeguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #44

Rear end wont make any noise unless there is something wrong.Pinion and ring gear alignment bad pinion bearing bad carrier bearings. Well maybe a Detroit locker or weld up spiders ;o)
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #45
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy57 View Post
It's not a shop it's a big shop they do a lot of drive train/Axles on motor home busses and fleet trucks.
That probably hire U of O students just learning the trade... Talk to the guys in Springfield that own/operate Classic Auto Body.......or, there's a Chrome shop there also where one might pick up on where to go.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That probably hire U of O students just learning the trade... Talk to the guys in Springfield that own/operate Classic Auto Body.......or, there's a Chrome shop there also where one might pick up on where to go.
I've seen the guys in there. This is big shop, I will check with above soon. there is another shop close to my work I may check with first.

Ill be honest calling around I got very few call backs when I was looking to get this done to begin with. I left 8-10 messages only received 3 call backs. Mos of these T were from trans shops 4x4 shops etc . Some of whom advertised diff work and one referral who didn't even call..

Its hard to find some one that wants to do more than the simple things that have good book time for a relatively easy non technical Job. I wish I had the tools to do this. I would give it a run.. Maybe i would do it more than once but no one to blame but me!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #47
Left Coast

Practice makes perfect....but 'ya, it does take special tools to do it right the first time....and even then, having worked the 'heavy' line in dealerships,not all gear sets are equal...had factory gears that would not set-up...and if it was a van and had any noise, it was a huge echo chamber.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #48

I believe the techs doing this have set this up to have good pattern. They have pics. I don't believe they want to do this over ad over. They way it sounds I feel like I am going to have a duplicate of the first set. It is quieter now but the last set was not nearly as loud either, at first. Then it got little louder, and started happening under different load conditions.

What could cause the good initial set up pattern lead to the pictures I posted at the top post indicating excessive heel contact after a couple thousand miles. I do believe they "think" they have it set up correctly...what are they doing wrong what are they missing?

FYI - Pinion & carrier bearings were replaced with new ring and pinion (on invoice) I was told the bearings were replaced again with the second set..
Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #49

i would say inexperience tech doing the work.

if he said he had a good pattern on the first set then he probably don't know what to look for and why it'd noisy
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Practice makes perfect....but 'ya, it does take special tools to do it right the first time....and even then, having worked the 'heavy' line in dealerships,not all gear sets are equal...had factory gears that would not set-up...and if it was a van and had any noise, it was a huge echo chamber.
I hear you on the "Echo Chamber" I know its resonating big time. Its big against the Glass / dash area for me; it "rings". I'm sure I could pull out my RTA on analyze the frequency and amplitude. This has been my specialty the last...oh my - almost 20 years now.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
i would say inexperience tech doing the work.

if he said he had a good pattern on the first set then he probably don't know what to look for and why it'd noisy
I really don think this is the case.. I have not seen the pics but they have them. I always have to pick it up after hours. Ill ask to email them.

Then what? If it looks good...now what? this is number 2. What are they missing... what is that "experience" supposed to tell them?

I have my summer reserved (camping, music festivals etc..) I need my tow rig!!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #52

ask for a refund, or take the manager for a drive and ask them to fix it right
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #53

This is not a lot of help but call Hoopers in socal. Maybe they know someone in your neck of the woods. Hold on.
Hoopers Rear Ends
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
ask for a refund, or take the manager for a drive and ask them to fix it right

I will ask for a refund, if i have a case for it based on other local pros opinions. Ill take it to my CC company for a charge back if I have too; post their name, spread this on social media and locally among friends, colleges, etc..I don't want to go their if i don't have to. I want proof, not hearsay, that its wrong.

Ill pay someone to pop the cover, take look and give me there professional opinion. I'm still wondering what they may have missed with the Chrysler 9.25 rear end.