Old 05-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

Noisy NEW Diff Gears 4.56

Any gear experts out there?

Got new 4.56 gears Early Late July. Picked it up after they were closed. immediately noticed the howl @45 is called the next day I was told it was normal i just need to drive it and break it in.

100 miles go buy I had to drop it off. They looked at the pattern etc and said you just need to drive it. "sometimes they are just noisy..." they put new oil in and said com back after 1k for fluid dump. They did say they will stand by it however I called to make an appt and mentioned fluid dump and talk about the noise issue...never got a call back.

Dumped my oil on my own, took some pics before I cleaned them up take a look. I have more pics too.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Wrong pattern... pinion needs to go deeper in ( toward back of truck) which will change the the side shims.....how much backlash is there now? What brand of gears?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

I'm not sure where the backlash is set. The shop set them up..

I'm wondering what would cause them to say they are set correctly, and have pics to back it up, (I have not seen them)and to have them turn out like this.

I have not spoken to them since the second visit and missed return call. Mostly because I feel like my concerns are falling on def ears.

Shop purchased all parts invoice says Yukon gears.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #4

Looks like a bad set up on the gears.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Wrong pattern... pinion needs to go deeper in ( toward back of truck) which will change the the side shims.....how much backlash is there now? What brand of gears?
Agree, need to clean and blue the teeth rotate to check pattern, but it looks like they need to add a shim in front of the pinion.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy57 View Post
I'm not sure where the backlash is set. The shop set them up..

I'm wondering what would cause them to say they are set correctly, and have pics to back it up, (I have not seen them)and to have them turn out like this.

I have not spoken to them since the second visit and missed return call. Mostly because I feel like my concerns are falling on def ears.

Shop purchased all parts invoice says Yukon gears.
Backlash is ...without moving the pinion, take hold of ring gear and move back and forth. Should be around , by feel, under .010 of an inch... on the ring gear, on the od, the part of the gear that the teeth end at, there should be a ecteched number and on the back face of pinion there is a pinion depth marking....unless whom ever set these up has had alot of experience doing it without proper gauges ( dial calipers, and pinion depth tools) it's going to be a crap shoot to do a proper job. I can see by these pics it's wrong..... noise more noticeable under power or coasting down ? HAVE ALSO HAD GEAR SETS THAT WOULD NOT SET UP , mostly off brand names...
Old 05-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
Left Coast

Back before it was outlawed, I was able to get a large can of white lead which is perfect for pattern checking.... now, there isn't as much to choose from ... although in a pinch, toothpaste will work! Purshun (spell) blueing is to hard for old eyes to see these days.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #8

I agree with bob, the pinion depth is totally wrong. It looks like a Dana axle. When they changed the gear set , they have to adjust the pinion depth. The new pinion will have a engraving of +/- with a number. Compare to the old gear set. Plus bearing pre load and a new pinion nut is critical. The back lash and side bearing preload should be 50 inch pounds rotational load, with 5-9 thousands of inch. Gear pattern should be checked with a marking compound. With axles and parking brake set, and with engine turn ring gear. Both directions, read pattern. Should be in the middle of gear and center of tooth. Good luck
Old 05-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

Noise is mostly @ 35 and 50-60 @ cruise, nice howl. Some noise very slight on decel form 40 on down..

I do not have the tools to do this, I'm very sure the shop does. I really need to show up and talk this over with the shop. But wanted to take a look for myself and get some opinions needed to change the oil anyway.

This is a Chrysler 9.25 rear end, If the sop changes the setup will it wear in good and quiet them down or does it need to be a new set..

FYI - They were put in at the end of Jan.. not July They have about 2K miles on them now. When i filled it up I used dyno oil Lucas 80w-90, quieted down a slight bit.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Doubt very much if they need replacement, they should, if set properly, quiet down immediately.