Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Noisy Rear Leaf Springs

Hey everyone, I noticed that whenever I hook up my fifth wheel to the truck and set it down into the truck, rear shocks or leaf springs start "creaking" whenever I hit bumps. Now I know I'm not even close to my payload capacity so what could it be and is there a way to correct it? Before you say that the pin weight is too heavy, know that last year I put a 3200 lb pallet in the back and it did the same thing.

Jared and Krista
2016 Sandpiper 371 REBH
2011 Ford F-250 SuperCab XL 6.7L TD, Curt 20K
Jsabe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
Most springs have metal brackets about half way between the axles and the rear shackle to keep the leafs aligned and they get loose after time. You can take large water pump pliers and squeeze them together again both across the spring and above and below the spring. Can use a couple of hammers also but wear safety goggles to keep the dirt out of your eyes.

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
I would check for loose bolts and worn shackles. This is a know problem after some miles.
-2013 Ford F250 XLT 2wd Crew Cab 6.2 with 3.73
-2015 Wildcat 317RL
-B&W Patriot 18k, MorRyde, Timbrens
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Dirt can also get between each leaf and cause a creaking noise. One way to find out is take it to a car wash and spray as good as you can, from the side to help clear out any dirt. (This was a problem with I used to off-road a lot in the desert, and heard it is a problem for people who do the mud.)

This is from a GM bulletin but I would assume it could apply to any leaf spring vehicle,

Some customers may comment about a squeak noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. During normal operation, certain vehicles may exhibit a squeaking noise that may be traced to the rear leaf springs. While this noise is an operating characteristic of leaf springs, the frequency and severity of this noise will be affected by the roads that the vehicle is driven on.

This condition may be due to debris getting between the leaf springs.

To correct this condition, lubricate the rear leaf springs using the following procedure.

Important: It has been found that the application of grease to the rear leaf springs does a better job of preventing the noise from reoccurring than replacement of the spring.

Raise the vehicle on a frame lift-type hoist.
Inspect the springs for damage. If none is found, proceed to the next step.
Pressure wash the rear leaf springs to remove as much dirt and grit as possible.
Dry the springs with compressed air.

Apply a liberal amount of grease, GM P/N 12345996 (in Canada, use P/N 10953501), under the front and rear tip inserts for the #2 and #3 leaves, on top of the tip inserts, and in between the #1 and #2, and #2 and #3 leaves, as indicated below. A screwdriver can be used to gently pry up the tip insert; however, a rag around the screwdriver must be used to prevent damage to the spring. Use a flat-bladed tool, such as a gasket scraper to properly distribute the grease.
Lower the vehicle to the ground and test drive to verify the repair.
Please inform the customer that this will offer relief, it is by no means a lifetime repair. Periodic cleanings and grease re-application may be necessary throughout the life of the vehicle.

Also, the inserts between the leafs can wear...

And depending on age, it could be caused by the upper and/or lower spring bushings. After confirming the noise, spray down the bushings ONLY with water and see if the noise goes away.
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
I had all kinds of noise from the suspension until I recently replaced the links and equalizer. The kit I used has wet bolts (bolts with grease fittings) I hardly have any suspension noise now! Even with the same old rusty springs, SILENCE!!. Its no wonder, the old parts were metal on metal. Now, grease fills the voids. If the noise bothers you, get a Dexter EZ Flex kit.
Attached Images
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
I believe that the GM bulletin Moab posted is right on target. I have owned many heavy duty vehicles and pickups that all at some point or another developed this noisy spring issue. Usually from rust, dirt, road grime and the inserts between the springs wearing out. I have the most luck with heavier silicone lube type sprays that are waterproof.
Jack the pickup up, wheels off the ground to open and separate the springs as mush at that will allow and spray the crap out of them in between the spring layers. Leave it set with the wheels off the ground for 15 mins to 1/2 hour will get you the best results allowing the lube to seep into/under the spring layers as much as possible. I got to the point to where I do this with my Superduties every time I change the oil and service them. It has really reduced this noise issue.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
Oops, I thought you were talking about your TT

2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote