Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
While I agree that it might not actually be 'needed', since the OP has stated that this will be their very first time every towing anything, I think the suggestions for some kind of sway control are good advice.

I also don't advise spending too much either right off the bat. A simple friction style anti-sway bar can make a big difference to somebody new to towing over just dropping straight on the ball.

That's an excellent suggestion. And it can be added to a standard drop ball mount.

This adapter:

Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 26003 Bolt-on Sway Control Adapter: Automotive

With a kit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufactu...n+sway+control

You could try without it and if you don't like it, use your existing ball mount and add these to it...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #22

Gents,

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of responses! Thanks so much for your input and guidance.

A couple of things to clarify....

*Weight of the TT is 2500 dry. I suppose I should estimate an additional 1000-1500 for contents/materials. Hence, 4,000 lb total. Right?

*The TT does have electronic brakes.

I've seen a couple of suggestions that given my lack of experience, the anti-sway, weight distribution set up would be prudent. I checked out the Equalizer model suggested by one of you and it appears that would run me $500-$700. Is that the norm and/or going rate for comparable set ups? Are there more reasonably priced alternatives?

Thanks again.

McHoop
McHoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #23

Best advice I can give. Let your dealer help you out. Learning to tow? Go to a big empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice backing up. Even try backing into marked spaces. You will get it eventually. Have fun!
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #24

The equalizer is the least expensive quality wd/sway control setup so if you feel you need one, that's a great way to go. RV Wholesalers parts dept. is the best deal I've seen on the setup. They should be quite a bit less than the numbers you quoted. We'd be guessing if 4k would be your loaded weight. Your GVWR will be on the side of the trailer when you get it. If you take your trailer over a scale and subtract that number from the GVWR, you will know how much loading you can do.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #25

I recommend going with the 6000/600 pound rated Equalizer - or E2 if you want a cheaper version (made by the same company). You can get the E2 for about $450-500. By getting the higher-rated version you give yourself room to move to a heavier camper later w/o needing a new WDH.

No, you won't have a problem going with the heavier rating, I confirmed it with the manufacturer years ago.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstanger View Post
Best advice I can give. Let your dealer help you out. Learning to tow? Go to a big empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice backing up. Even try backing into marked spaces. You will get it eventually. Have fun!
This too is good advice. You don't want to be this guy:

http://youtu.be/EIHrzcrB_3E
Old 01-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #27

One thing that I have learned in the past is to be sure that your vehicle that you are using to tow the trailer with is as level as possible after you hook up to the trailer. This will make towing down the road a lot easier and safer. Your dealer will help you do this if you ask them. Also I second getting your dealer involved with helping you to find the right equipment to tow your new trailer. That is what they are there for. This will help you to know what kind of dealer you have. A good dealer will be glad to help you through all phases of learning how to tow. This is part of their job and part of what makes us keep going back to the good dealers and staying away from the bad dealers.

Good luck and please take your time and be patient in learning how to tow your new camper. It will make going camping more fun and safer.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHoop View Post
I checked out the Equalizer model suggested by one of you and it appears that would run me $500-$700. Is that the norm and/or going rate for comparable set ups? Are there more reasonably priced alternatives?

Thanks again.

McHoop
You need to research more, cause those prices are high.
as mentioned, RVW has good prices and free shipping. They have the E2 8000lbs. unit for only $351.
the E2 will be fine for your trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Interesting. The webpage shows TN as 3k. Anyways, not sure why the net is so full of people who think this way about insurance. People get drunk, drive, and crash every day and insurance covers it. You might get canceled after the fact, but they cover it. Not that I'm in any way advocating breaking the law, but if one does break the law, they are still covered by insurance. I wouldn't want your bill the following year though...
Try this website and look at TN. Towing World Official Website

If you like to gamble with all you own be my quest. Ever heard of umbrella insurance? What do you think it might be for?

Our RV club has a couple that are being sued right now. They don't have an auxilliary brake system on their TOAD and are really sweating it!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

One other thought. Consider renting a box trailer from uhaul for your first towing experience. This will give you a much cheaper trailer to trial towing and learn about some of the towing principles/dynamics with.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #31

You can get this one for less than $260. Sway control included.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...s/PS49902.html

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:36 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
One other thought. Consider renting a box trailer from uhaul for your first towing experience. This will give you a much cheaper trailer to trial towing and learn about some of the towing principles/dynamics with.

This is probably the best advice so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
towing