Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
If people are this paranoid then why did you buy an RV. I have never with 3 generations of law enforcement in my family ever heard of someone being convicted of a crime because of the weight of there RV being towed by there truck. If you drive like your at Daytona that's a different story but a normal accident get a grip. Like I said if your this paranoid then it's time to sell your RV.
A voice of reason! But it really seems like a lot of people like to sit back and complain about how other drivers drive; are they going five or ten miles faster than what they THINK are the ratings on the tires (hard to tell the type or rating of the tire as it goes by at 70mph); or if they might be overloaded, etc.

Are there people who overload? YES! Are there people who are driving too fast for the tires? YES! But it does not mean everyone that looks overloaded is overloaded and not everyone doing 75 with a trailer is using ST tires or that their ST tires are rated only for 65.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #12

Harder to stop a maxed out truck and trailer than one that's at 80% or less. Why is that so hard to figure out. Just because the big 3 put 12,000lb tow ratings on a 1/2 ton doesn't mean it's as safe as the same truck towing 8-9000lbs. Too many variables and unknowns to always think everything will work out perfect. No ones being paranoid, just wanting to use some common sense. A good example is the last trip I was on. I came around a corner doing 57 mph. A 40' MH pulling an F150 pulled out in front of me. Anyone who's ever driven a big MH knows it takes forever to get going. Especially when turning across the hwy and starting up hill. The corner is a blind corner for anyone pulling out of that CG entrance. I had to hammer the brakes hard and could feel the ABS engaging. I'm 4000lbs under my trucks GCVWR. Had I been at max of 21,000 I may not have slowed enough to clear the F150. That's why I don't tow at max ratings. And yes my trailer brakes are in perfect shape since I just inspected them while doing a bearing repack a month ago. My last setup was a 2010 F150 7650 GVW. TT was 31' and 7300lbs. Truck was scaled at 7600lbs with all the gear and TT tongue weight. Max tow rating was 11,000+ or the F150. I can't imagine being in that same situation with the MH and towing with my F150 and 11,000 behind it.

Point is not about getting sued, it's about not being in an accident. I want to be able to control my trailer even if someone else is in the wrong. Having someone pull out in front of you causing a wreck doesn't justify speeding or towing over weight. I want to know that going thru an intersection and someone running a red light that I have done everything I could to try and prevent an accident. JMO but being overweight and not being able to stop in time because of that is irresponsible.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of criminal negligence and vehicular manslaughter. However as you said this is your opinion. I think most here wont respond and give it a MEH.
I did not share an opinion on the topics, try reading before commenting it may make people give a MEH.
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #14

Am I missing something? It seems the OP is highlighting different towing capacities for different trucks within the same class (150, 250, etc.)

How does this equate to bad drivers?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
A voice of reason! But it really seems like a lot of people like to sit back and complain about how other drivers drive; are they going five or ten miles faster than what they THINK are the ratings on the tires (hard to tell the type or rating of the tire as it goes by at 70mph); or if they might be overloaded, etc.

Are there people who overload? YES! Are there people who are driving too fast for the tires? YES! But it does not mean everyone that looks overloaded is overloaded and not everyone doing 75 with a trailer is using ST tires or that their ST tires are rated only for 65.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do not care what tires or tow vehicle someone has short of a Freightliner, anyone driving 75 MPH pulling a TT or 5th wheel will one day have an accident. Not if, when...... Just my opinion after pulling trailers, TT and 5th wheel for nearly 40 years. Been there, done that, have seen too much. Sorry just my opinion.......... hope never to see another fatal accident but I will it will happen too many people think they are invincible.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #16
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Best of all folks need to do home work and this applies to the type trailer your going to buy and then the TV you will need. Most sale folks will tell you anything to sell a camper. If you don't know then you should be asking question and getting Vehicle brochure and study. Yep to many folks out there driving way over loaded.

Then there are the weekly campers that travel 20 miles and tow trailer with anything they can use.

I've towed trailers for over 40 years and always had more tv than I needed. Safety is first in my book. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #17

I've hauled truck campers and towed 5th wheels, TT and hay trailers since the 70's. Use 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons and 1 ton DRWs, Fords, Chevys, GMCs and a couple of Dodges. Gas & Diesel. Here's my take:

Rule 1. Regardless of all the other rules, never tow or haul if the vehicle feels squirrelly or doesn't feel right. However, if it feels good, the other rules still apply.

Rule 2. Weigh your axles, empty and loaded. Haven't yet met anyone who guessed correctly. If you don't know for sure you are risking your life, your spouse, your children and grandchildren. It's cheap and it's easy. Just find a truck stop!

Rule 3. Don't drive anything that overloads the tires and/or rims. Regardless of all else, tire rated load is crucial. If you are close, upgrade the tires and don't go cheap. Baring a collision, tires are first thing to go.

Rule 4. Don't exceed the axle ratings or the GCWR. Most diesel 3/4 tons are the same running gear as their 1 ton counterparts - except springs, brakes and tires. I don't mind going over the GVWR as long as the axles/tires are within load rating and the combined tow and vehicle is within the GCWR.

Rule 5. Don't tow or haul what you can't stop. Test the brakes every time you start the engine. I've stopped for fuel and restarted only to find the brakes no longer work.

If doesn't matter whether the badge says it's 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton. If you overload it you are putting lives at risk. If it's rated for your load, and you ACTUALLY KNOW YOUR LOAD, then rules 1 and 5 apply.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #18

Link please

I did a little searching and I know it's somewhere around here, but I can't seem to find where the post is that gives instructions for which weights should be gathered, how to do so and how to use the information to determine where you're at. Goodness me, there are so many variables to figuring this stuff out it makes my head spin! Hoping someone with more experience with the forum can provide a link

EDIT: Nevermind! I found it! It's in the library

Library
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #19

I don't use rule rule 2,3,4,5

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #20
chicagoslick

Everything concerning load and capacity is opinion or speculation unless verified. Weigh it and confirm it is within specification of the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Also, you do not need to build your own safety factor (50%-80%) margins in unless this makes you feel better!!! There is a reason there are specifications. The specifications are developed through testing by the manufacturer!!!

Unless you are an engineer and have specific education and training to make factual statements; you are stating opinion!!!

Gary, Tonia, Baile, Summer and Otis our Boston T.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Pkg
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch FX4 Max Tow 3.5EB, 3.55
Equalizer 4 WDH, 1,200 / 12,000Lbs
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck