Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #41
I have a 2013 King Ranch crew ecoboost, I did want all the. Goodies! Towing with this truck. Beats the old 2009 5.4 V8 hands down for torque, acceleration and deceleration as well, they have engine braking built in. I have the 5er now and have towed in 80 km wind gusts and held the road and with the frontal area. In head winds no problem keeping up to posted speed limits. I will say on mileage i average between 18 to 24 litres per 100 km. The new Chevys are out that will match the Ford F 150 towing capacity of 11,200 in my case. I would be interested in hearing from some of those owners on mileage. You are towing a lot and it takes fuel no matter what you have for a TV.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #42
I do love my Tundra. 16+mpg daily driving, 10-11mpg towing. Quiet, powerful, and very obedient. Does what I ask, no back talk, no over heating. Easily pulls the bunk house. Fits my situation. Diesel just isn't for me. Will never own a trailer large enough to justify one, unless we were to travel cross country. Who knows what will be out there at that time.

I believe the days are over as far as the p#ssing wars over brands go. Fine with me. Everyone's needs and desires vary greatly.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #43
I just got 13.8 average after 3400 miles from CA to MT and back in my Dodge 3500 6.7 diesel pulling my 11,000 pound Cardinal. We climbed a lot of mountains and it has power to spare but the control going down the mountain is the icing on the cake. Rarely have to use brakes, the ride is nice and it is quiet. Not like the diesel of old and there is no smell. I've owned ford and Chevy but at the time I was looking this Dodge was a better fit. After 50,000 miles we still love it!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #44
My diesel has no smell either exhaust or fuel there is also no noise, modern European diesels are so far in advance of what is put in here, on our last trip we are getting just over 17 mpg (us gallons) towing and like I said no smell and no black residue on the trailer either.
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #45
To clarify thing a little the dealership in question is located in Ontario Canada. Therefore the mileage is rated in Canadian gallons roughly 1.17 times larger than a gallon of gas in the United States. I drive a Ford F150 with the 5.0 litre and have got 25 (21.25 US) mpg straight highway driving (200 miles trip) under the right conditions. Getting 28 (23.8 US) mpg, which is the highway rating might be a little far fetched but getting only 16 consistently (13.6 US) is questionable. On a bad day against the wind I can still get 18 (15.3 US) mpg.

I'm sure we can all agreed that he is unsatisfied but honest is another question.
Gregg, Karen and Devin

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Old 09-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #46
We just finished an 8 week trip with an F150 Ecoboost pulling an 8,520 lb 5th wheel. My TGVW was 14,640 lbs. This was our first long distance pull. We traveled the north Georgia mountains, western Pennsylvania, and the Missouri Ozarks.

I was really surprised at how well this engine performed both uphill and down. Especially surprised how it held the speed down going down hill. The engine would downshift very smoothly without great surges in the engine. I did tap the breaks a couple times when the engine was in 3rd gear and going over 4,000 RPM. That was probably not needed, but I felt more comfortable doing it.

My MPG was 12- 12.5 for most of the trip. We drove consistently at 55 MPH. I found no real advantage to using high test gas vs. regular grade.

Transmission temps usually stayed at 195 but did see it peak at 205 in the mountains.

I can't say anything bad about Chevys or Dodges, but I sure do like my F150 Ecoboost.
Terry and Carol
Daytona Beach, FL
2013 F150 XLT, SuperCab, Ecoboost
2010 Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
2014 - 57; 2015 - 91; 2016 - 171
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #47
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
The reason for buying a diesel isn't always about power or fuel economy. I didn't buy mine for either in fact! I bought mine for the shear safety fact! I now have a situation where the truck is truly in control of the trailer and not the other way around. Another reason is for KNOWING I have the power to pull the hill, the trans to plant the power to the ground and the brakes to stop me at the bottom of the hill! Has anyone checked their brakes on their half tons after descending from the mountains? I'm certain that many are a lot harder on their brakes in this sense than one would truly think... Another big reason for buy diesel is knowing that the longevity of these trucks will completely blow a gasser out of the water. I am willing to bet that the eco boost that is pulling some big weights wont last nearly as long as some of the naturally aspirated V8s are... As stated before there just isn't any replacement for displacement... Period...
Interesting close out for a diesel guy. When was the last time you saw a naturally aspirated diesel? The point in turbocharging gas or diesel is to get whatever your hauling off the line quickly without a ridiculously short gear.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #48
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
Interesting close out for a diesel guy. When was the last time you saw a naturally aspirated diesel? The point in turbocharging gas or diesel is to get whatever your hauling off the line quickly without a ridiculously short gear.

I wasn't saying anything about forced induction or naturally aspirated. I was simply drawing the line in the sand with the eco boost and their counter parts naturally aspirated V8s... I feel that the small displacement of the eco boost wont hold up in the long run will pulling the loads...

Tubro charging is a great way to add power without loss in fuel economy in most cases but only time will tell if the eco boosts are capable of withstanding the declared weights for prolonged periods of time... I'm not against them, just find it hard to believe and fascinating...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #49
Haha! You Dodge, GM, and Ford guys just keep taunting each other. Us Toyota guys just keep on rolling. Still welcome at my campfire no matter what your badge.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #50
I have a 2009 F-150 5.4L Screw with the max tow and 3.73 gears and I average 16.5 mpg for my average driving. I also have two uncles and a friend with newer Eco-Boost (EB) F-150s that are getting the same average MPG. I have driven all three of them and have confirmed the same. They have between 12K and 30K miles on theirs and I have 119,000 problem free miles on mine. That said, I am going to wait a while and let other people test the durability of the EB engine and I will keep running up the clock on my 5.4L. The dealership where I still get my truck serviced has told me there are a lot of later 5.4L engines out there with 300K to 500K miles on them still going strong, but it took a couple of years for Ford to work out the bugs before the engine became so durable.

Also, when I tow our camper, I install a Hypertech programmer that really helps with towing power and also improves my towing MPGs (from 9 mpg to 10.5 mpg). However, I run the stock program when I'm not towing because my mileage goes down about 1.5 to 2 mpgs when empty (I can't keep my foot out of it!!!!).

Closed Thread