Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
There is no replacement for displacement.
Not when you have a nice set of hair dryers on it
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
win

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney-the-rock View Post
no thanks, i'll keep my duramax.
x2:d
Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney-the-Rock View Post
No thanks, I'll keep my Duramax.
And I'll keep my broken down 05 Silverado 1500 that's free and clear.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney-the-Rock View Post
No thanks, I'll keep my Duramax.
X2
Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkurek View Post
SO? More advertising hype. How will they perform in the real world, under real conditions, heat, cold, dry, humid is the test of time.

ah we'll see, hopefully they will hold up really, but ALL the mfg. do this same testing, and yet some hardware still doesn't perform at expectations in real life.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #26

Hi All,

I own a 2013 F-150 Limited and since buying new in May have put 32,000 miles on it. I have tried every speed, every trick, cruise no cruise, you name it. AT BEST, 17.5mpg. I have a 3.73 rear end and 4x4 drive. Really fuel hungry and the wind really effects fuel economy.

I have a 2013 Aviator that I tow behind my truck and I get anywhere from 10.5mpg@62mph to 8mpg@70+mph. Big fuel difference in a short speed span, BUT WOW it has power beyond belief. I don't see any reason to buy a diesel as they don't get much better and it's a $7,000 option. I put airbags on it and it really makes a difference in handling and tongue weight capacity.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #27

I have come across several Ford Eco-boost owners who are very happy with their choice of a TV. Also lots of 5.7 Dodge Hemi owners and Chevy Duramax guys who wouldn't dream of trading in their TV's.

There is no 'one size fits all' here, and a TV's suitability depends on its ability to do the job we asked of it.

As for the gas mileage, any and all manufacturers' claims about gas mileage are as about as reliable as the average co-ed's claims about her virginity. Mostly of dubious credibility and subject to a litany of fine print and technicalities.

Therefore, like a car or truck purchase, any guy with common sense finds other reasons to marry them!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #28

As an afterthought, my best trip towing mileage was 11.5mpg; worst was coming home from Sierra Vista to Kansas City last May with 9.8mpg.

Then again, my Crusader came with a built-in headwind!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #29
phat phrog stunt crew

Only politicians are better liars than car dealers.

i think they are on par with each other. at least we can change dealers immediatly if we dont like them..... jus sayin.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #30

The sticker on the window of an eco boost F150 says 16 mpg city. I don't know about you guys but when I buy cars or RV's I do all of my own research and the sales guy is just a tool for me to use. There is nothing that comes out of their mouth that I would use as information to help me decide on a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
This photo was tooo much to pass up

comments please!!

I don't have a ford or a dodge.

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_415 View Post
The sticker on the window of an eco boost F150 says 16 mpg city. I don't know about you guys but when I buy cars or RV's I do all of my own research and the sales guy is just a tool for me to use. There is nothing that comes out of their mouth that I would use as information to help me decide on a purchase.
I agree maverick. well put.

2013 Coachman 292BHDS
2005 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
1 spoiled lab and 1 even more spoiled boxer
Old 09-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
I have come across several Ford Eco-boost owners who are very happy with their choice of a TV. Also lots of 5.7 Dodge Hemi owners and Chevy Duramax guys who wouldn't dream of trading in their TV's.

There is no 'one size fits all' here, and a TV's suitability depends on its ability to do the job we asked of it.

As for the gas mileage, any and all manufacturers' claims about gas mileage are as about as reliable as the average co-ed's claims about her virginity. Mostly of dubious credibility and subject to a litany of fine print and technicalities.

Therefore, like a car or truck purchase, any guy with common sense finds other reasons to marry them!
I agree on the mileage claims. If you do some research, find what best fits for you. If you see the new gm commercials claiming there 5.3 v8 gets better mileage than the ecoboost. It is true if you get the 3:08 gear but only have a max tow of 6500 pounds. Research research.

2013 Coachman 292BHDS
2005 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
1 spoiled lab and 1 even more spoiled boxer
Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #33

When I bought my previous truck, the sales guy didn't know a thing about it. This was before I knew anything about towing, or had planned on getting a trailer. Fast forward to March of last year, I was at the Ford dealer test driving an Eco Boost. Didn't care for the sales guy, kind of an *****. He had no interest in discussing towing capacity ("it'll tow anything," he said), payload, or anything drive train related. It was about gadgets/options and the financing. I remember asking him about the turbos running under load, heat, wear and tear, and he wanted nothing to do with it. I asked about special ordering a truck, as I didn't want to spend over $40K to get a truck with the desired capacities. We might only be able to knock $4-$5K off doing that. Heck, I just want a basic truck for camping, hauling my projects, and commuting (which isn't much.) Too bad, it really was a nice truck.
Got fed up and went over to the Toyota dealer. I knew Toyota put the same rear end in all Tundras with the 5.7 and tow package regardless of the trim level. Plus the 5.7 is proven in reliability and longetivity, and that mattered a lot to us with all the problems with our trade in. Plus I had been wanting a Tundra for a few years. Didn't like the sales guy there (notice a pattern), but darn he actually answered questions. They had 5 trucks on the lot in my price range. I asked about towing capacity, he stated that truck was 97 or 98 hundred pounds towing, got the manual out and showed me how to find it from the model code on the door jam. Also showed me the payload capacity. So all the specs I was interested in we're confirmed before making any decision. Another test drive and a little more fun discovering the 5.7 sealed the deal. My wife was even excited about this truck. It had a selling price LESS than my '06 Dodge Dakota. If I could have ordered a stripped down Eco Boost there might have been a different ending. I just don't want leather, GPS, etc... Just a solid simple useful truck.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy View Post
Hi All,

I own a 2013 F-150 Limited and since buying new in May have put 32,000 miles on it. I have tried every speed, every trick, cruise no cruise, you name it. AT BEST, 17.5mpg. I have a 3.73 rear end and 4x4 drive. Really fuel hungry and the wind really effects fuel economy.

I have a 2013 Aviator that I tow behind my truck and I get anywhere from 10.5mpg@62mph to 8mpg@70+mph. Big fuel difference in a short speed span, BUT WOW it has power beyond belief. I don't see any reason to buy a diesel as they don't get much better and it's a $7,000 option. I put airbags on it and it really makes a difference in handling and tongue weight capacity.
X2 for me except I added an extra leaf spring instead and I have a 19RR. The 3.73 brings down the mileage a little too. Your numbers are consistent with mine though. So far so good.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBoy View Post
Hi All,

The reason for buying a diesel isn't always about power or fuel economy. I didn't buy mine for either in fact! I bought mine for the shear safety fact! I now have a situation where the truck is truly in control of the trailer and not the other way around. Another reason is for KNOWING I have the power to pull the hill, the trans to plant the power to the ground and the brakes to stop me at the bottom of the hill!

Has anyone checked their brakes on their half tons after descending from the mountains? I'm certain that many are a lot harder on their brakes in this sense than one would truly think...

Another big reason for buy diesel is knowing that the longevity of these trucks will completely blow a gasser out of the water. I am willing to bet that the eco boost that is pulling some big weights wont last nearly as long as some of the naturally aspirated V8s are...

As stated before there just isn't any replacement for displacement... Period...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
X2!!*
Had a ford it was good...Had a dodge it was good too.. done that, moved up, like my Chevy's better! Got one for work and one for play
In Texas, we move up to Ford...
'14 nights camped:
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
In Texas, we move up to Ford...

Understandable as most of you are still riding donkeys down there right!

I always love a good ford chevy dodge rivalry...

I love hanging out the window pokin fun at a ford or chevy driver and getting it right back!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #38
Grandpa's big Blue truck

I have a 2011 Ford F150 ecoboost screw max tow have +30k mi. on it 3k mi. towing our 34' tt 19 to 20 us mpg. long trips , 16 us mpg. local , 11 to 12 us mpg. at 60 mph. towing the tt . Is a great truck , pulls tt very well ( 6th mostly 5th some on rolling hills 3rd. on steep river valleys ) transmission holds back vary wall on steep grades. Never had it in the mountains but I have a lot of experience in BC (super B trailers 140k lbs.) and would not be afraid to go there with my setup. I have nothing against other tv's and believe that everyone has to make up their own mind diesels are great 3/4 & 1 tons are great my F150 is also a great dd and a great tv as long as you stay under 8500 lbe tt like mine.
Love camping with grandkids
Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #39

Oh my.... For the record I ABSOLUTELY love my Eco-beast. Hauls my 9k 5'r like a champ. With the HD Payload + Max Tow also does it within ratings. I get anywhere from 9.5 to 10.5 MPG when hauling. Fine by me considering the weight I pull.

Unloaded it is my daily driver and I get about 20 to 22 MPG highway. Also fine by me.

A year in and 15K miles later and ZERO issues.

To each their own, but I'm pleased as punch with my truck.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Oh my.... For the record I ABSOLUTELY love my Eco-beast. Hauls my 9k 5'r like a champ. With the HD Payload + Max Tow also does it within ratings. I get anywhere from 9.5 to 10.5 MPG when hauling. Fine by me considering the weight I pull.

Unloaded it is my daily driver and I get about 20 to 22 MPG highway. Also fine by me.

A year in and 15K miles later and ZERO issues.

To each their own, but I'm pleased as punch with my truck.
2013 F-150 ecoboost Platinum here with Max haul and Max tow. Max tow rating is 11,200. Absolutely incredible truck. First Ford ever. Always Chev or GMC. No more heating problems on mountain passes or grades. I pull a W&P 18ec that weighs about 7000# loaded. I have had many diesels including cars, motorhomes and pickups on the ranch.

I would not own another diesel that I had to drive every day due to noise, smell of diesel. The F-150 also fits in my garage which is a plus. I love this truck for towing and everyday use.

Jack
Closed Thread

Tags
fan