Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #41

I can't see myself buying a 5th wheel or TT that requires a DRW truck. As it is, I regret my long bed F350 and wish I had a short bed with a sliding hitch.

I did learn from this thread that Ford makes shortbed DRW trucks and that is definitely an option if I decide to go crazy and get a very long and heavy 5th wheel.

OP, I'm sorry you don't like your tow vehicle purchase. I purchased a motorcycle 3 months ago that I cannot ride much. I broke my wrist 2 years ago and long rides on my bike are too painful. I'm stuck with a bike I can't sell even at a $1500 loss that limits me to 20-30 minute quick rides.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #42

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Dear OP,

Sorry you have a truck that hard to handle when not towing. Maybe some of the DRW lovers want a slightly used truck or trade there SRW at par.

I have a F 350 SRW and tow my 40 ft SOB 16,000 lb 13 ft 3 inch tall full profile Fifth Wheel. I have snow plow prep, stiffer rear springs and HD front,Tow Pkg and have a payload of 3500 lbs. I weighed my setup with 60 US Gallons of water and was under my maximum rear axle by 200 lbs. I drove down the 4 lane highway on a rather windy day and noticed no difference to towing 9500 lb Rockwood. No stability issues. No towing issues and no over heated tires. I say like may have SRW is fine for most applications people would tow under.

Your choice on SRW or DRW. Maintenance costs like a tire rotation of $250 twice a year and extra tires to wear out, parking a pain in most situations with DRW and 8 ft box and driving it in the snow are reasons i will not have one as my daily driver.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 06-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So you are saying your panties got in a bunch if you try to tow with anything other than a DRW?

If you need a DRW for a bumper pull, something is not right. Anytime a post starts out like yours, my BS meter goes off.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	177034
Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
I recently traded in our 2017 F250 SRW for a 2018 F350 DRW. The reason was due to being slightly over weight pulling my 5er with the 250. I debated whether to get a dually or not. After speaking to so many people, they said to definitely get the dually. So I did. After our second trip out, I wish I had purchased the F350 SRW. The dually did not seem that much more stable to me. It was no different when trucks would pass. I went from almost 13 miles per gallon while towing to under 10. And since this is my daily ride, it is pretty difficult to find a parking spot in the small parking lots that they make today. Has anyone else felt this way?
Without reading all the other posts, I'll just chime on the OPs. I have said this many times as the OP did. I've had four SRWs and two DRWs. Two of the SRWs were during the times we had big toy haulers. I NEVER felt the extra stability everyone talks about with the dually. But I often got flamed for saying such things so I quit doing it.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
Without reading all the other posts, I'll just chime on the OPs. I have said this many times as the OP did. I've had four SRWs and two DRWs. Two of the SRWs were during the times we had big toy haulers. I NEVER felt the extra stability everyone talks about with the dually. But I often got flamed for saying such things so I quit doing it.
X2.... But I can't seem to control myself when it comes to replying
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 06-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2.... But I can't seem to control myself when it comes to replying

As well as some others in this thread. As usual these truck/towing threads just become arguments. Thread closed for sake of forum harmony as nothing is being useful at this point and will need a cleanup of several posts that violate the site guidelines.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread