Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Got mtn bike?

Not much room to play with!

Sunday I took my truck and the RockWood 2904SS to a set of commercial scales.
The truck had a full tank of gas (35 gals) 1 passenger and 1 60lb dog.
Nothing in the bed except the tool box and the junk in the box.

The camper was empty for the most part, except for a few items.

No clothes, food, water, or the normal 2/3 mtn bikes along with the
biking and hiking gear.

Looks as if I'm going to have to pack light and empty the hot water heater each time.

Commercial scale weights

Ford manual

2004 4x4 F250 5.4L,single cab, long wheel base
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Unless I am missing something, I don't think you have a problem.

Check the driver's side door sticker for your GVWR, and also your AWR (axle weight ratings).

Use your cab style, engine, final drive ratio, and bed length and see what your tow ratings are here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...04_default.asp

If your truck has the 5.4 L engine along with the 3.73s, then you might be approaching your tow limit. Any of the other combinations should be fine with that trailer.

My DD and SIL have a 2004 F350 with the same engine and final drive that I have in my 2006 F150. Their tow limit is 7100 lbs., and mine is listed at 9300 lbs. That is insane. The same F350 in 2006 is rated at 9300 lbs., with a GCWR of 16000 lbs, vs. the 13,500 lbs in the 2004 F250. The way the manufactures keep upping the numbers is just not right.

I think an 2004 F250 would pull a trailer better than my 2006 F150. But ya still gotta go by the manufacturer numbers......sigh.

I will now get off of my soapbox.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

You think that's crazy, try and figure this one out. My truck (2500 Dodge) has a GVWR of 9000#. The GAWRF is 5200# and the GAWRR is 6010#.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

looks like you are in good shape. gvwr 8800 would be the truck , pasengers, cargo and tounge weight. If the tow weight rating is 8900. Then the whole rig, truck and trailer coulf be 17700. Your payload for the F250 is probably over 3000. as long as the truck loaded is not over 8800 and the trailer is not over the tow rating, and both weigh no more than the gvwr and the tow weight rate you should be good.
I just bought a 2904SS in Columbus this week, I live in Northport, Alabama, Towing it with a Toyota Tundra, have not been camping yet but it pulled well on the seventy mile trip home.
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Got mtn bike?

I guess I'm just making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I thought with my GCWR being 15,000 lbs and my GCW being 13040 not fully loaded.
I figured I would be pushing 15,000 with bikes, food and clothes.

Jerry
You'll love that 2904SS
JB RV told me that they were ordering more 2904SS
Good to know yours pulled well on HWY 82 between Columbus and NorthPort.
I'm sure I'll be camping at Lake Lurleen, as well as Oak Mtn (Pellum) later in the year. Might see you out there one weekend?

Next month for spring break, I have camping reservations at Cheaha State Park. Will stay there a couple of nights, then either head to Raccoon Mtn or Oak Mtn for a night or two.
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis662 View Post
I guess I'm just making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I thought with my GCWR being 15,000 lbs and my GCW being 13040 not fully loaded.
I figured I would be pushing 15,000 with bikes, food and clothes.
You have almost 2000 lbs available for stuff...that's lots. Our loaded weight is 1000 lbs more than the empty weight and tht includes 2 bikes. You'll be fine.

Happy camping.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
You think that's crazy, try and figure this one out. My truck (2500 Dodge) has a GVWR of 9000#. The GAWRF is 5200# and the GAWRR is 6010#.
Not crazy, it is really very simple.
The RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) is the rating that the axle manufacturer places on that single component.
Ditto for the FAWR (Front Axle Wright Rating)
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the rating the manufacturer (Dodge in your case) places on the entire package.
That is one of the reasons for the hugh debate that rages on these forums. There are lots of people who mistakenly believe that as long as they do not exceed the RAWR that they are OK. Wrong if they are exceeding the vehicles GVWR. The GVWR is placed on the vehicle and is certified to the Federal Government that the vehicle will perform all safety and handling maneuver up to that weight limit. While there as of yet no legal ramifications of running overloaded, except in B.C., doing so could void any new vehicle warranty. There is a fella over on another forum who was the certifying engineer for GM for many years and has a wealth of information on how/why this sticker is placed on a vehicle.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #8

ddavis
we go the corp of engineer parks alot, going to deerlick creek near Tuscaloosa march 4, we are going to Dewayne Hayes near Columbus on May 12. Looking forward to camping in the Rockwood, we had a 27' Keystone Hornet it was fun but we wanted a little more room. we like Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL. we may go there in April.
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Not crazy, it is really very simple.
The RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating) is the rating that the axle manufacturer places on that single component.
Ditto for the FAWR (Front Axle Wright Rating)
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the rating the manufacturer (Dodge in your case) places on the entire package.
That is one of the reasons for the hugh debate that rages on these forums. There are lots of people who mistakenly believe that as long as they do not exceed the RAWR that they are OK. Wrong if they are exceeding the vehicles GVWR. The GVWR is placed on the vehicle and is certified to the Federal Government that the vehicle will perform all safety and handling maneuver up to that weight limit. While there as of yet no legal ramifications of running overloaded, except in B.C., doing so could void any new vehicle warranty. There is a fella over on another forum who was the certifying engineer for GM for many years and has a wealth of information on how/why this sticker is placed on a vehicle.
OH I know what it all means. Just stating that because of the big difference between the axle ratings and the vehicle rating. No wonder the damn trucks ride so rough. It sure handles the max weight though.......
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote