Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Another subject that I don't think has been covered: Does the truck have the factory tow package, or is the hitch an add-on ??
It has the factory tow package. Is that better than an add-on?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanyagio View Post
It has the factory tow package. Is that better than an add-on?
I'm pretty sure, not positive...all 3/4 T trucks and up come with a factory tow package as standard. The factory tow package is fine. You could add an additional trans cooler in series if you found that the trans temps were running high.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'm pretty sure, not positive...all 3/4 T trucks and up come with a factory tow package as standard. The factory tow package is fine. You could add an additional trans cooler in series if you found that the trans temps were running high.

Dave
Yes, we definitely have tow package, so I guess it follows that the manufacturer would have installed a truck hitch strong enough to support the amount of trailer it says the truck can pull - correct? and manufacturer says this truck can pull 10,000, so hopefully that part of the equation (truck hitch capacity) is ok.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #34

Quote:
How do I find out what our hitch is rated for? All I was told is that it's a Reese and it can pull 10,000 lbs.
My husband checked under his truck hitch and it says tongue weight is 1,280 pounds and trailer weight is 10,000 lbs. Sorry about confusing responses I was giving you earlier about hitches. I was confusing the truck hitch with the trailer hitch the dealer gave us (the Reese). A week ago I would have never dreamed that I'd be discussing, much less caring, about truck hitches. Life is funny.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When you made that bump, did you notice if your mpg got worse? Ours can't get any worse.
Not to answer for JFM-jr, but to add my experience. I dropped tire size as opposed to rear gear change and found that for towing it was better. The trans tended to stay in a higher gear and therefore, the towing mpg didn't change. The non towing mpg dropped by 0.5-1 mpg. This is for an equivalent change from 3.92 to 4.10. I would expect the change from 4.10 to 4.3 to be very similar.

As I mentioned in a earlier post, the low max towing and GCWR is a reflection of the 6L power, 4 speed trans and 4.1 rear gear.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #36

dropping tire size would be cheaper and there is only 1 brand that I know of in a 10 ply tire that offers a 3 ply sidewall which is bf tko tires, just a thought for less tire sway, the tread is a bit aggressive so probably going to be a bit louder as well. also something to think about is in the 5 speed allison trans when you activate the tow/haul switch ( on diesels anyways i know) it actually winds up dropping line pressure which can actually add to the trans temps and poor shifts. there is a solution for this issue, it's called a trans jr kit for the trans fairly inexpensive as well. the six speed allison doesn't seem to have this issue and I don't know which years the 5 speed allison was offered in the chevy's but I'm sure it was offered with the 6lte and 8lte engines just not when. factory trans coolers are seldom up to the task imo. when it comes to hitch's we get what we pay for so don't go cheap and always shoot for over rates versus just enough. just my opinion from turning wrench's for a living for many years.