Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Note to all Ford owners.

Just a little information for all who have a new Ford that they are towing with for the first time. Being a new TT owner, I was unsure why my trailers battery was not charging while being towed. I contacted my dealer who helped me troubleshoot it on the phone and we came down to no power from my F150 to the trailer connects. I was advised to check under the hood for the fuse to the battery charging line. I got out my trucks manual and located the fuse section. I discovered that it had not only a 30 amp fuse to charger the towed trailer battery, but also a relay for the same circuit.

Being now armed with this knowledge and a schematic, I opened the hood and peered into the fuse box. After some searching, I discovered that the fuse had not blown, but was missing. Curious I next located the spot for the relay. It too was missing. Feeling a little upset that a new truck with a complete tow package would be missing these two critical items, I contacted my Ford dealer. The service department advised me that we would have to submit a warranty claim and then bring in my truck to have them installed. ????

I inquired how much it would cost me just to buy the fuse and relay and plug them in myself. This time I was placed on hold while service called parts to get the price. When they returned to the phone, I was advised that I would need to bring in my truck so they could look at it and determine the correct items to quote me a price. ????

Oh by the way they said, one of our service technicians told me that often, Ford will put these two items in a plastic bag in the glove compartment. ?????? New truck with a tow package, but they don't install the fuse and relay to charge the TT battery???

Guess what. Buried under the junk in my glove box,!,!,!,!, The fuse and the relay.

So for all who might buy a Ford to tow your TT. Check the fuse box under the hood for the fuse and relay before you tow. Missing??? They are probably in the glove box.

As an end note. I do love my truck and it does a great job of towing my VIBE 6504 and all of my associated items.

Have a great trip.

Rich in WV.
ke4pnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #2

Ford must have been doing this for a long time. I too am new to the TT. Mine is a 2004 and there were 2 Trailer kits in my Glove-Box.

Travel Trailer - 2014 - Salem 26TBUD
Tow Vehicle - 2004 F150 SuperCrew 4X4 Lariat 5.4L
Nights Camped 2014 - 5; Scheduled - 6
sandkreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
B47

Just another reason to reaffirm my faith in the old but true saying - Ford Or Repair Daily or in this case, look in the glove box for any missing parts.

Seriously though - this is good information.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
daydreaming about camping

I was reading this waiting for the part where you looked in the glove box...

My experience has been that all manufacturers do this, or a version of this for as long as I have been around trucks.

They used to include separate flashers for towing (before the days of solid state computers controlling that.) Just be glad they included them, I once bought a new truck (I won't say what brand because Turbs will get his panties twisted) that not only was missing the fuse and relay for the trailer power source, but also wiring for the electric brake control and told the manufacturer did not include those anymore. Picked up the fuse and relay I needed at O'Reilly and ordered the harness from brake manufacturer. Refused to buy from their parts counter.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandkreese View Post
Ford must have been doing this for a long time. I too am new to the TT. Mine is a 2004 and there were 2 Trailer kits in my Glove-Box.
Yeah, my 2006 had the plug and play wiring harness and relay in the console.

This is good thread to remind owners that sometimes more is needed than just adding a brake controller.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

A GM has a pigtail wire all taped up under the hood that ships that way and must be unwrapped and installed on a stud in the underhood fuse box.

I think it's a liability thing. If the OEM sends 20-30 amps to the back of the truck where gravel can beat it up right next to the gas tank, it becomes their fault if it causes a fire. If someone else completes that circuit... it's not their fault anymore
Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Gm has the two wires unhooked and taped to the wiring harnesses under the hood. One for charging the battery in the back. Other one us for trailer brake wiring harness blunt cut wires under the knee bolster. Also need to add j case fuse to fuse block. Done lots of these at work.
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Same here, I just bought a used 2006 F150 super crew and when we got it home tucked in the back seat pocket was a plastic bag with a relay, pigtail and instructions on how/where to install them.
stardrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #9

Oh by the way they said, one of our service technicians told me that often, Ford will put these two items in a plastic bag in the glove compartment. ?????? New truck with a tow package, but they don't install the fuse and relay to charge the TT battery???

Guess what. Buried under the junk in my glove box,!,!,!,!, The fuse and the relay.

Yep Ford's been doing that forever. Somebody at the dealership should have told you that.

Now that your ready to go...Enjoy!
JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

Normal. My 2008 and my 2012 were both the same. Your dealer should have know this right away.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #11

Mine were installed when I got the truck... Better dealer, I guess...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #12

Ty for the info..
Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #13

After reading this I checked mine and mine is not installed either. Is this really needed? I have towed without it for a year.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

I don't believe that is necessary for towing. What they do is provide power while connected to the tow vehicle to charge the batteries in the trailer. Also you could charge your battery at remote sites via the tow vehicle in a pinch. I want to charge my battery enroute to our campsites in order to be able to set up late and go to bed without setting up the generator. Also it starts the charging and allows me to start the refrigerator cooling while traveling.
ke4pnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

My BIL just discovered this same thing with his 01. Trip to Walmart and for the fuse and an autoparts store for a generic relay and he was good to go.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
Paul & Sheri

My 2006 F150 said in the manual that if power is required through the connector to install the relay found in the glove box. It also had a connection if a brake controller was required. My 2012 F150 with the max tow package has the controller built in to the dash and included power to the connector.

I had a 2000 Nissan with a 7 pin plug with no provision for power, I ran a wire from the battery with an in line fuse.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

That's the first thing I do when I drive the truck in the garage from the dealership. I've always wondered why they don't just install the fuse. What's the downside?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
That's the first thing I do when I drive the truck in the garage from the dealership. I've always wondered why they don't just install the fuse. What's the downside?
Being so common, I can only guess that there are reasons why some people haul trailers with brakes (7 pin connectors) which don't have the need for and do not want a hot wire in the system. Probably only Campers and some box trailers with interior lights would need it.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #19

Usually never hooked up from the factory. Ford and Gm for sure.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4pnj View Post
Just a little information for all who have a new Ford that they are towing with for the first time. Being a new TT owner, I was unsure why my trailers battery was not charging while being towed. I contacted my dealer who helped me troubleshoot it on the phone and we came down to no power from my F150 to the trailer connects. I was advised to check under the hood for the fuse to the battery charging line. I got out my trucks manual and located the fuse section. I discovered that it had not only a 30 amp fuse to charger the towed trailer battery, but also a relay for the same circuit.

Being now armed with this knowledge and a schematic, I opened the hood and peered into the fuse box. After some searching, I discovered that the fuse had not blown, but was missing. Curious I next located the spot for the relay. It too was missing. Feeling a little upset that a new truck with a complete tow package would be missing these two critical items, I contacted my Ford dealer. The service department advised me that we would have to submit a warranty claim and then bring in my truck to have them installed. ????

I inquired how much it would cost me just to buy the fuse and relay and plug them in myself. This time I was placed on hold while service called parts to get the price. When they returned to the phone, I was advised that I would need to bring in my truck so they could look at it and determine the correct items to quote me a price. ????

So for all who might buy a Ford to tow your TT. Check the fuse box under the hood for the fuse and relay before you tow. Missing??? They are probably in the glove box.

As an end note. I do love my truck and it does a great job of towing my VIBE 6504 and all of my associated items.

Have a great trip.

Rich in WV.
Fords been doing this for a while. My 2000, 02 and 08 all had the fuse in the glove box with the wiring harness for the trailer brake.
JParcic is offline   Reply With Quote