Old 03-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #1

NTB..........Really???

Well, I didn't listen to that little voice in my head... I was about to get some new Michelin tires for my truck, but found a nice deal on Nitto Grappplers. Buy 2 and get 2 free... but you have to buy their alignment, pay for their installation and buy the road hazard. It still came out to $20- less than just buying 4 tires, and about $400- less than the Michelins. I did some research and dang if they didn't have pretty good reviews. So, off I go to NTB, for only the second time since they converted from Sears Tire and Auto. (The first time was some years ago, and a real hassle.) When I got there at 8:15, with an 8:30 appointment, the only employee there says they are short handed and he'll get me in as quickly as possible... and does. At that point the little voice said... RUN! I didn't listen. More help arrives about 30 minutes later, and they get 3 tires changed, balanced, and mounted back on the truck, with the fourth wheel still chucked up on the tire changer. An hour and a half later, the NAPA truck arrives and they now have enough valve stems, so that final tire gets mounted, balanced, and put on. He drives the truck around and tells me I'm ready. I paid $125- for an alignment... So I challenged the guy, who looks at the work order, and says... Oh, yeah... After driving it back to the alignment rack, fiddling with the machine for 45 minutes, he comes up and tells me his machine is not working. We'll have to reschedule in a couple of weeks. I've already paid... and I've been there 4 hours... and as I said, I had an appointment...

Well, then I find out that half their techs quit their jobs the day before in a dispute with the manager... so I suspect that he didn't know how to run the alignment equipment, but I don't really know that. Now, I might be really steamed, but all the time I was there, every one of these guys was busting his behind to get people serviced that were waiting. I felt bad for them. I just wonder how in the cat hair they stay in business. So, I now have to reschedule, or drive into the DFW Area to another NTB and get the alignment done. I can't say I'm happy with NTB... the second time I've ever been there, turns into the second major hassle...

Yes, it was more money... but I had my mind made up... and should have just gone and gotten the Michelins.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #2

Sorry about the crappy service, but you did buy some well made tires. I had never heard of Nitto, but I found a set of Grapplers for my Toyota Tundra 4x4. Reviews on them were great, and I have been happy with the set. You did fine.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #3

Stuff happens. I always buy Michelins, they are great tires, not sure if I could be persuaded to change. I'll tell you one thing, don't buy Bridgestones.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

What's NTB?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:03 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
What's NTB?

National Tire Battery - a chain tire shop.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
National Tire Battery - a chain tire shop.
apparently, they aren't on the West Coast.

never heard of them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #7

NTB is like Any other Company,like the OP stated "The Manager" is the Key! Youroo!! US flag on 2nd line?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
apparently, they aren't on the West Coast.

never heard of them.
I never heard of them here in Fl !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
I never heard of them here in Fl !
You're not missing anything. I've had nothing but trouble with them.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

Keep an eye on those nittos, they have a soft rubber compound and at least in Florida they wear down fast. Toyo's have been great and last a while, I just put 35's on my stock mega cab

Sent from my iPad using Forest River
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel
2010 Sandstorm 203SLC