Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Odd tire wear

After 4000+ miles of towing our new (2015 280bh) travel trailer I noticed after our last trip (300 +/- mile round trip) that the two right trailer tires had some excessive wear on the extreme outside edge. Tire pressure before we left was 48psi cold (50 max rated load C). Dealer is trying to say the wear is from low pressure (they checked them as 45 psi). I think this diagnosis is off and there is more to this story. Anyone have this problem before?

Gypseedaddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	115568  

Old 07-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

Low tire pressure usually gives wear on both edges. I didn't have tire wear issues, but I took my camper to a service center that dones trailer tire alignments when I put new tires on my trailer. I noticed an immediant difference in the fuel mileage of my tow vehicle. The trailer towed noticably easier. I had people tell me they did this for wear issues also.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Thank you for the response. Wow, one would think they would at least start out from the factory in good shape. May have to look into an alignment.

GypseeDaddy

2010 Rockwood HW276 (Sold)
2015 Crossroads 280bh TT
2014 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4, 5.0, Timbrens, Load E BFG KO2's

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4, Timbrens
2015 Zinger 28BH
GypseeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

Out West here, if you tow on dirt and gravel roads much, an alignment every couple years is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

It is very possible you hit a pot hole, jumped a curb, or even dropped into a small hole along the road somewhere. No big deal. Alignment should remidy the situation. But, also have the tires checked. It is also possible you have a couple of belts that have shifted.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypseeDaddy View Post
After 4000+ miles of towing our new (2015 280bh) travel trailer I noticed after our last trip (300 +/- mile round trip) that the two right trailer tires had some excessive wear on the extreme outside edge. Tire pressure before we left was 48psi cold (50 max rated load C). Dealer is trying to say the wear is from low pressure (they checked them as 45 psi). I think this diagnosis is off and there is more to this story. Anyone have this problem before?

Gypseedaddy
Do this; since your stealer is bent on blaming you, research tire wear pictures on the net, print them with what explanation is captioned for your specific abnormal wear issue. It will tell you and the stealer definitively, that your out of alignment. Then you can proceed with your stealer on replacement and proper alignment. Unfortunately, this is prime service repair time, so, I suggest you convince them to order new tires, and that you will take your trailer to the alignment shop yourself, that will most definitively speed up the repair process during peak backlog time. Just sayin'
Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

Had same issue with a Rockwood 5th wheel. Took it to a truck alignment shop and it was determined the axel was not straight. I asked if I had hit something to cause it. NO! To cause that problem I would have needed to hit something solid (curb, etc) going at least 50mph backward!

I called FR directly and they took my case to Lippert ( axel manufacture) and the end result was FR had a new axel shipped to my dealer, with 2 new tires. Was installed by dealer at no cost to me.
You will need to be persistent and firm with FR and your dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #8

UPDATE:

Turns out Lippert has decided both axles need to be replaced and are shipping out two new ones. Although the dealer forgot that the initial reason I brought the unit in was because of the excessive tire wear. So I'm still fighting to get the tires replaced.......and the saga continues. But at least we are making progress.

Side note, I asked what was wrong with the axles and the dealer either wouldn't or couldn't give me any info.

2014 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4, Timbrens
2015 Zinger 28BH
GypseeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypseeDaddy View Post
UPDATE:

Side note, I asked what was wrong with the axles and the dealer either wouldn't or couldn't give me any info.
Of course he couldn't. Give you a straight answer, how dare you expect that from this stealer.

Tags
tire