Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
TT owners

Odometer stopped working on my older Tow Vehicle

Has anyone ever replaced their stock dash speedometer/odometer with an aftermarket one?

My '89 Chevy's dash odometer stopped working just before we bought our travel trailer. Now I can't calculate my gas mileage, let alone how far I've traveled.

Can anyone point me to a resource?

Thank you for your time and advice!
3 kids
Sean&SuzieWkndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #2

Not sure when they went to electronics, but I think your vehicle may be old enough to still use the mechanical setup. There is a plastic gear in the transmission, connected to a steel cable that runs up to the back of your speedo head. Take the assembky out of the trans (should only have 1 bolt clamping it, then it pulls out). See if the gear is worn out. If gear looks O.K. have some one watch the speedometer while you turn the end of the cable. If the needle jumps, your cable is still good- you might have to change direction, it will only jump if you're going the right way. If it doesn't move, the cable is probably broken inside the housing. You can pull it out and check the ends. If you don't have squared ends on both ends, the cables broke and part of it is still in the housing. Then you need to replace the cable. If all of that is good, and your speedo head went bad, you can try searching a junk yard for a replacement.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Odometer

If it is one of the first digital driven devices, it may be a simple fix of a SENDER that attaches to the rear end axle housing. Go to your local AUTO ZONE, DISCOUNT AUTO, ask if your year model has a digital sender for the speed-o-meter!

Sid
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Toy-aholic

No, actually the sender is on the tailshaft housing of the trans....does your speedo still work? if so the problem lies in the ins. cluster itself. You can either get it repaired or get an exchange unit with your mileage set into the rebuilt one.....you will need to contact your GM dlr. for this.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
TT owners

I did forget to mention that the speedometer still works, it is just the odometer that is not working.

I have seen online advertisements for instrument cluster repair, but thought it might be easier to just add an external aftermarket gauge than to rip out the whole dash and send it off for repair. All of the other gauges are still functioning normally, also.
3 kids
Sean&SuzieWkndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #6

Just make sure to get an odometer disclosure statement or it could cause trouble down the road when selling or with warranty issues. I ran into that hassle once...just once!

froale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean&SuzieWkndr View Post
I did forget to mention that the speedometer still works, it is just the odometer that is not working.

I have seen online advertisements for instrument cluster repair, but thought it might be easier to just add an external aftermarket gauge than to rip out the whole dash and send it off for repair. All of the other gauges are still functioning normally, also.
pulling that cluster isn't as hard as you may think.....now the new ones are a different story
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
endeavor to persevere

I have not changed one in the new GM trucks, GMT900s, but I can change the one in my 2005 GMT800 in 15 minutes.

Whats scary is on full size GM trucks the mileage in ONLY kept in the cluster. It is not kept in the computer. So if you change to a cluster with fewer miles on it no one can tell.