Old 07-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #41

Quote:
According to LSP troop D reports, an 18 wheeler swerved in front of him and then hit brakes because of slow traffic; Camper driver swerved to left to miss the stopping 18 wheeler and lost control of truck and camper
This post didn't show-up before I added my last post... OK, that makes sense... He may have been within the legal limits of his 1/2 ton but he might have been able to save it if he had more truck, TT brakes setup a little more stiff, less speed, etc. Seems like everyone is OK & TTs can always be replaced....

2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #42

Of course you can tow that

That's why we have that good ol' American standby..."Insurance". As in my pilot days, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #43

...answer is the legal speed limit of 80kp/h (50mph)

Wrong ...its 100km/h unless your tires are older then 4 years...and who drives 65mph in Germany???
Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
...answer is the legal speed limit of 80kp/h (50mph)

Wrong ...its 100km/h unless your tires are older then 4 years...and who drives 65mph in Germany???
I am in possession of a German drivers license as well as an Alberta CDL. The law says: Any motor vehicle towing any kind of trailer must not exceed a speed faster than 80 kp/h. This law applies to cars, trucks etc., there is no exception (Motorcycles towing a trailer are not allowed to drive no faster than 60 kp/h even on the Autobahn). The age of the tires has nothing to do with how fast you're allowed to drive, all vehicles including trailers are subject to regular thorough inspections at government approved facilities at varying intervals depending on age, personal or commercial use or public transportation. A vehicle will not pass inspection with tires that are not roadworthy, inspection interval for trailers is two years.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #45

Quote:
but he might have been able to save it if he had more truck, TT brakes setup a little more stiff, less speed, etc.
This is why they're called "accidents" and not "on purpose's." Coulda/woulda/shoulda.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #46

X2 RockfordRoo

It's really easy to sit back and judge others from a distance. Particularly when you were not there or do not have even half the story?

The title of this thread suggest something completely different than an 18 wheeler swerving in front of them and then having to lock it up.

Let's see how a F-350 DW towing a 18,000 lb 5'er does with a semi rapidly slowing right in front of them....Anyone wanna volunteer?

I think in the end the guy did well since no one was injured!

Nothing new here, everyone on the Internet knows everything...supposedly...

Old 07-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #47

Cypressloser:
And almost everybody has that permit - I had it too!
And sorry I was wrong, tires not older then 6 years (I said 4)

TEMPO 100 REGELUNG
Kfz-Anhänger-Kombinationen auf Autobahnen und Kraftfahrstraßen
Wer mit einem Wohnwagen flott in den Urlaub starten möchte, sollte sich für sein Gespann eine Tempo-100-Genehmigung zulegen. Mit ihr dürfen Sie statt mit den üblichen 80 km/h mit bis zu 100 km/h über die Autobahn und Kraftfahrstraßen eilen.
http://www.tuev-nord.de/de/checks-un...ssung-2618.htm
Old 07-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #48
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
X2 RockfordRoo

It's really easy to sit back and judge others from a distance. Particularly when you were not there or do not have even half the story?

The title of this thread suggest something completely different than an 18 wheeler swerving in front of them and then having to lock it up.

Let's see how a F-350 DW towing a 18,000 lb 5'er does with a semi rapidly slowing right in front of them....Anyone wanna volunteer?

X2
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
Cypressloser:
And almost everybody has that permit - I had it too!
And sorry I was wrong, tires not older then 6 years (I said 4)

TEMPO 100 REGELUNG
Kfz-Anhänger-Kombinationen auf Autobahnen und Kraftfahrstraßen
Wer mit einem Wohnwagen flott in den Urlaub starten möchte, sollte sich für sein Gespann eine Tempo-100-Genehmigung zulegen. Mit ihr dürfen Sie statt mit den üblichen 80 km/h mit bis zu 100 km/h über die Autobahn und Kraftfahrstraßen eilen.
100kmh-Zulassung - Checks und Untersuchungen | TÃœV NORD

Stand corrected, partially.
It looks like the government introduced some changes, which I was not aware off, allowing certain vehicle combinations to drive as fast as 100 kp/h. But it also shows how strict these exceptions are being handled: max trailer weight not to exceed 80% / 100% the curb weight of tow vehicle, higher rated tires, upgraded breaking systems, trailer sway control, special inspections, and special permit tied to the trailer, hydraulic shock absorbers, manufacturer documentation showing trailer was built in compliance with the 100 kp/h speed limit upgrade, and other conditions.
Did anybody say bureaucracy?
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
X2 RockfordRoo

Thank you!

That crash was a result of either a driving mistake or purely situational. Swerving while hitting (Lets go ahead and assume hammering them.) the brakes is one of the hardest things to do in an emergency situation, so when I say mistake I'm not blaming the driver, he's probably never been there. Once the trailer started tipping after that swerve unless he could straighten out and pull the trailer against the tip it was a goner.

Considering that the truck is straight with the lane and presumably unharmed I think he did pretty well.

Just like the video of the dually losing it's trailer in the cross wind, sometimes when it's going it's just going. You do your best and hope it's enough.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote