Old 07-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Why the hell is a 3.5L V-6 minivan (a Kia Sedone which we have) with disk brakes and rated to tow 6600 pounds in Europe, limited to 3500 pounds in the US? Are we US residents such rotten drivers that we can't be trusted, or are the trailer manufactureres and dealers so scared of the liability lawyers they fudge the numbers to protect their butts?
Since I own and tow with a Hyundai Entourage (re-badged Sedona for 2008), I'm glad to hear the body is considered strong enough to tow a lot more than the 3500 lbs the US spec calls out. I've wondered if towing my A122 (about 2500-2800 lbs loaded) was excessively stressing the minivan body long term. Especially since the Koreans put out minimal tow information compared to other manufacturers.

Living adjacent to and camping in the Colorado Rockies, I am very happy with my decision to limit my camper to 3000lbs or less. Engine performance takes a hit at altitude - 20% less power at 6,000ft without a turbocharger, and it gets worse as you climb. Maintaining a reasonable speed on the interstates (the trailer tires are the limiting factor at 65 MPH) is important given the distances to be traveled. Finally, coming down from the mountain passes through the hairpin curves puts a premium on the proper dynamics for both the tow and the towed vehicles. Having a WDH hitch with no tires/wheels/axles/brakes overloaded makes everything much less of a white-knuckle experience for both the family and me.

I know, I have run out of brakes in the days before disc brakes towing boats in the West Virginia and North Carolina mountains. Got to repeat the lesson in California coastal mountains with a Ford Explorer and a 3200lb popup - I finally managed to get the thing stopped using the brake controller manually.

I have blown out a transmission on a Ford Windstar while creeping up the grade in traffic just before the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 (11,000 ft) - I was towing a "small" U-Haul. Learned my lesson about transmission coolers that day.

Modern cars do not have the "over-built" systems that some earlier cars did in order to meet fuel economy and weight targets. I found that out, too, towing an MGA cross-country with a Toyota Corona station wagon. The manual transmission rear bearing gave up the ghost within weeks after arriving at our destination. Most US trucks now have a lower tow rating for a manual tranny because the clutch and transmission are no longer built to take heavy towing loads.

As a result of working my guardian angels excessive overtime in my past, I take the US tow limits pretty seriously. Makes the wife and kids a whole lot more comfortable and willing to go camping. When I made them get out of the Ford Explorer that night and walk down the California hill, they got the hint that I wasn't sure I could stop the thing again. It put an end to that rig doing more camping in the coastal mountains.

I really do prefer to learn from other people's mistakes instead of my own (although it doesn't seem like it).

Fred W

Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #52

F and E Damp:

I don't know where you're getting 6600 lb towing for the Kia Sedona in Europe. In Europe, the Sedona is called the Carnival. It's got a 2000 kg tow capacity, even with a diesel. 2000kg = ~4800 lb, not shabby, but not 6600 lbs, either.

Kia Grand Carnival diesel review: Car Reviews- CarsGuide

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #53

Saw someones misfortune this past weekend (July 4th) a TT was on it's side on I26 in NC near Ashville. Looked to be about a 25 footer towed but a Chevy in the Median upright with a Harley tied in the bed. The good & bad did not appear any others were involved & no major injuries. The Harley stayed tied down but the trailer was not attached & on its side. Could not get a pic as I was pulling a 22 ft box trailer with DS belongings moving him to the coast from TN. State Police was arriving the wrong way towards us sooooooooooo....... Can't imagine a 1/2 ton was overloaded pulling a TT with a Harley in the back & who knows what else.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Maybe that was the problem, He was driving like it was not back there. The number of times I see people fly by in the fast lane towing a trailer is crazy.

I see it often as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Saw someones misfortune this past weekend (July 4th) a TT was on it's side on I26 in NC near Ashville. Looked to be about a 25 footer towed but a Chevy in the Median upright with a Harley tied in the bed. The good & bad did not appear any others were involved & no major injuries. The Harley stayed tied down but the trailer was not attached & on its side. Could not get a pic as I was pulling a 22 ft box trailer with DS belongings moving him to the coast from TN. State Police was arriving the wrong way towards us sooooooooooo....... Can't imagine a 1/2 ton was overloaded pulling a TT with a Harley in the back & who knows what else.......

Trailer not attached, probably no wdh.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #56
Anacortesians

When we bought our '03 Sedona, we were thinking of towing a TT with it. I specifically checked with my brother in Plymouth and he reported that the rating that year was 3,000 Kg.

My uncle towed a "coachbuilt" (pronounced Heavy) TT all over Europe in the 1950s and '60s with a 55 horsepower, 1.5 liter Austin Cambridge. They sure weren't the fastest hare in the pack - they might have been the slowest tortoise, but they did that touring for over 20 years. They did upgrade to a 1.8 liter Austin Maxi.

The vast majority of UK "caravanners" tow their trailers with the 90-HP short-wheelbase Land Rover, which was marketed in the US as the Defender. During visits with my relatives to "Caravan Club" weekend get-togethers, I've seen 30' TT's behind those Land Rovers, and they used to tow all over Europe.
On one vacation around Southampton, a young couple arrived at our campground towing about a 32' mobile home behind a 1949 L-head Morris Minor (about 27 horsepower on a good day). He'd been working at a power station on the north coast of Scotland and had landed a job somewhere around Southampton.

The mobile was their home, and the Morris was their only car. so they just hooked up and set out. They'd had a couple of times where they juist couldn't handle the gradient and had to find an alternate route.

I think the liability lawyers are to blame in this country, forcing us to use gargantuan, gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs to tow relatively small TTs and fivers. I'm glad we're Class A people!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #57

In Arkansas, I see RVs, 5th wheels, and TT pass me on a regular basis when I am traveling 5 miles over the posted speed in Honda civic while commuting. Every time I see this, I think " Man I sure hope they arrive safely". because I don't think they are being very responsible.

DW of 24 Years.
Hope to meet you on the trail.
ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote