Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
SOLD: Thanks OC for your impartial contribution.
What gas truck do you have?

2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #52

Quote:
But it doesn't add to towing capacity, make the truck ride better, look any better and gas engines are more than adequate for its intended purpose. If you have enough torque from a gasser, why would you want more? Just asking. I can't seem to justify the extra outlet of cash just for torque.
Actually, look at the Ford Towing Guides for instance...take 2012 or 2013. there is a difference in rated towing if you follow the ratings. Not sure about other manufacturers, just the one I saw was for Ford.

And......I can't wait to hear the "weight police" comments about the towing guides as they are entertaining. We get a kick out of the I can tow XXXX pounds over the guides and run up hills with no problems comments on the truck forums!

JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
What gas truck do you have?

I feel woefully inadequate with my 1/2 ton Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gears when I read posts on this forum that it got me to do some tire kicking. I came across a late model Ram 2500 but it has the same engine as mine. No diesel. Is it necessary to scrap that idea and opt for the diesel (cha ching cha ching) or will the 3/4 ton gasser meet my inadequacy complex. I don't reallly need bragging rights; my DW did says that bigger is not better. Please advise.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
I feel woefully inadequate with my 1/2 ton Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gears when I read posts on this forum that it got me to do some tire kicking. I came across a late model Ram 2500 but it has the same engine as mine. No diesel. Is it necessary to scrap that idea and opt for the diesel (cha ching cha ching) or will the 3/4 ton gasser meet my inadequacy complex. I don't reallly need bragging rights; my DW did says that bigger is not better. Please advise.
I think you just found out that the resale market for diesel trucks is VERY different.

I see people often complain about the cost difference between diesel and gas on new trucks, but that cost difference is amplified in used trucks. Pre-DEF Cummins 5.9 trucks do NOT depreciate. At all. Many are selling with 150k plus miles for 90% of there original purchase price. It is a ridiculous market.

If you are looking at new trucks, the question is not how long it takes the MPG difference to make up for the initial sticker difference, but rather, how long are you going to keep the truck and do you plan on trading it/selling it for something new down the road. If you plan to never sell it - then truly gas may be your best option. But there is very little market for heavy duty gas trucks, the prices reflect that.

Now if you are looking used, then be prepared to search a long time if you want a good diesel at a decent price. I just found an 05 with 58K on it and could not be more happy with it. It took me about 4 months to find one that was reasonable.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Took me 4 mo. As well to find the one I wanted at the price I wanted to pay.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #56

Quote:
It's not really bragging rights that you get with a diesel. A lot depends on how you tow, where you tow, and what you feel is a comfortable tow. I personally don't like sounding like I am racing running down the road at speed. With a gas truck you will be locking out gears or it will be using the heck out of the shift module in the transmission. The gas pedal also gets a work out with the gas engines (give it gas, let off the gas and so on). To me, a diesel is a much more comfortable and relaxing ride. There are times that me and the DW will scare each other to get some life back in us because of getting very sleepy listening to the oil burner pur. It's kind of like rain on a tin roof syndrome.

Everyone says that a gas will pull just as much as a diesel you just have to let it do it's thing but I would be more than happen to test that theory with anyone with a 3/4 ton or larger with a gas motor pulling the same load as me for 1000 miles constant. I would have to keep a pot of coffee with me to keep me awake.

I know your trailer is not as heavy as mine but you would see a huge difference out on the road with a diesel. The gas truck would and will handle it just fine though, it is mainly a preference thing not a bragging rights thing.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #57

i spent the better part of a year watching for my powerstroke but i had very specific options and wanted under 100k so in the 7.3's that's tough but now throw 6 speed manual and 4x4 in a dually and next to impossible lol i did find it with 80,000 original miles on it but took a while. i can find 2wd all day long. lol

rugged brown
if your happy with the pulling power of a gas engine but just need more stability when towing then 3/4 or 1 ton trucks will do it. if it's power and mpg's + stability then diesel is what you want. they are more expensive to maintain as well as cost of repairs, on top of purchase price. i have had 4 powerstrokes myself and at 1 time i owned 3 now down to just my 99 f350 dually. i personally wouldn't want to pull with a gasser again but that is just me and the diesel ( now that i uncorked and lightly modded it ) fits my tow needs. this is just what you have to figure out. do you have a friend with a 2500 diesel you could tow with to compare and see what you pre-fer?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
It's not really bragging rights that you get with a diesel. A lot depends on how you tow, where you tow, and what you feel is a comfortable tow. I personally don't like sounding like I am racing running down the road at speed. With a gas truck you will be locking out gears or it will be using the heck out of the shift module in the transmission. The gas pedal also gets a work out with the gas engines (give it gas, let off the gas and so on). To me, a diesel is a much more comfortable and relaxing ride. There are times that me and the DW will scare each other to get some life back in us because of getting very sleepy listening to the oil burner pur. It's kind of like rain on a tin roof syndrome.

Everyone says that a gas will pull just as much as a diesel you just have to let it do it's thing but I would be more than happen to test that theory with anyone with a 3/4 ton or larger with a gas motor pulling the same load as me for 1000 miles constant. I would have to keep a pot of coffee with me to keep me awake.

I know your trailer is not as heavy as mine but you would see a huge difference out on the road with a diesel. The gas truck would and will handle it just fine though, it is mainly a preference thing not a bragging rights thing.
well said and i know what you mean about trying to stay awake
Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #59

The increased safety factor towing with a HD diesel versus a gasser is offset by the possiblilty of falling asleep while driving, as my tongue is firmly implanted in my cheek.

All jokes aside, I do appreciate hearing your experiences.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #60
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If there's one "main" thing I noticed with the exception of fuel mileage going from a 6.0 gasser to the duramax was the non existent shifting going up smaller grades where my gasser would downshift on.
Put it in drive and go.
I have noticed tow haul mode is needed way less as its pretty flat round here.