Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

oil and fact or fiction ???

FYI

Top 10 Myths About Engine Oil - PickupTrucks.com News

You decide....
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
I agree that changing oil before at least 5k miles or 8k kilometres is a waste of time and money. However if you have the time and money to waste it won't hurt anything.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #3

Interesting..... Thanks!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
DDC

It's hard to believe that people pay all that money for the latest electronic equipment in there vehicle and when it tells them the next oil change is not for 13050 miles they don't believe it. If you buy a vehicle that includes the maintenance they will not do your oil changes until the on board computer says it needs it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the old 3,000 mile myth is still out there; and seemingly refuses to die; fed by the likes of Rapid Oil Change, etc.

I've been doing 7,000 to 10,000 mile oil change intervals for almost 30 years. Never a hint of engine failure or degradation. Every vehicle I've had still read FULL at the end of that interval; without any "adds". I kept one VW for 250,000 miles and it still didn't use any oil.

Oh, and I've mixed synthetic and petroleum; mixed viscosities; mixed brands; never an issue. I did some of these mixes just to see if there would be any effect; and to get some of my own "custom" viscosities.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Yes, the old 3,000 mile myth is still out there; and seemingly refuses to die; fed by the likes of Rapid Oil Change, etc.

I've been doing 7,000 to 10,000 mile oil change intervals for almost 30 years. Never a hint of engine failure or degradation. Every vehicle I've had still read FULL at the end of that interval; without any "adds". I kept one VW for 250,000 miles and it still didn't use any oil.

Oh, and I've mixed synthetic and petroleum; mixed viscosities; mixed brands; never an issue. I did some of these mixes just to see if there would be any effect; and to get some of my own "custom" viscosities.
Been doing the 10,000-15,000 since 1978 when I called Smokey Yunick and he suggested to go to Mobil 1 10w-30w or 10w-40w. Been using it in every internal combustion engine I've owned ever since, even my Cub Cadets. No problems whatsoever. With Walmart selling 5 qts of Mobil 1 for $25, it is cheap oil.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

I recommend people go to AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases and a few other oil sites like lucas and read their studies and tests on extended oil change intervals...I know amsoil for sure has pictures of internal parts....I think lucas does too......

if you install a secondary oil filter you can run even longer....

I threw out the 3000 mile rule a real long time.......

I agree with DDC, if the manufacturer says you can run 15000 miles save the money, if it fails it is on they.....they built it and put the equipment in it, use it....

I like to spend money, but I don't like to waste it......
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #8

I've always believed you go by the owners manual for maintenance intervals. For our older cars that's 5000 miles between changes and the new one has upped it 7500 miles. I figure the manufacturer has done the testing to determine what will give the longest life at a reasonable cost. The funny thing with our new car and my truck is the dealer still insists on 3000 mile oil changes not that I go there for anything other than warranty work.

I had totally forgotten about changing the oil after the break in period. As I recall that was true back when engines didn't use oil filters but I don't recall seeing that on any car built after the 60's.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Good info and living in a neighborhood full of GM and Chrysler engineers, back in Michigan, it's what they all suggested. So, I follow the oil life indicator, and when it drops to 20 % left, I make a run to Wally's (it's 125 miles away) for some Mobil 1, then in a week or two, as the weather dictates, crawl under and do the change. Usually works out to be about 10 percent left.

Many of my co-workers, to this day, continue to do the 3K change because their grandfather and father. Not knowing that grandpa probably used filtered bulk oil purchased in glass containers from the local service station.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawAdventurer View Post

I like to spend money, but I don't like to waste it......
X2
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #11

In my 6.0L Ford diesel, 5k is the popular interval to change oil. The super tight tolerances in the fuel injectors, which require high pressure oil passage to open and then fire, demand clean oil else they may stick closed or worse.....wide open flooding a cylinder and hydro lock. When I use T-6 synthetic Rotella, I stretch it a little further, maybe 7.5k.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #12

I recently purchased a GMC 2500HD diesel. Does any one out there have any recommendations as to how long between oil changes I should go? I love the truck and can't wait to pull my TT with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
jchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #13

I drive mine 7500 to 10000 between oil changes, going on 150000 and oil still at full mark when changed.
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When the oil change light comes on then I change the oil...
When gm does your service they wont change it till 25% or less
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #15

That would be a good topic, "who takes the vehicle to the dealer for an oil change?"

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #16

Bought a used 2011 F250 6.2L gas to pull our camper earlier this year. Was thinking I needed to get the oil changed when I found the oil life indicator . So I'll use that. I'll use synthetic when I do change for sure .

But a question. I will not put a lot of miles on the rig each year, I only drive it when I need a truck. So oil change at least once a year even if lots of life left or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdoshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #17

Can't say for Ford, but per my GM's owner's manual, you are supposed to change the oil per the oil life indicator or every year. In fact, my vehicle reports from Onstar that includes oil life, indicated I was to change the oil on my Hummer this year, due to being a year old.
Might want to read the owner's manual.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #18

Read a article and met the owner who pulls for a living campers, he has a duramax with over 1 million miles towing on a truck with nothing replaced. He replaces at 3k and is religious with the other fluid replacement intervals. I replace at 6k and I run syn oil. Seems everyone says replaced at manufacturing Times but who here follows to other fluids, trans, rear diff, front and t case if equipped , brake fluid, ps fluid??? Yes these fluids have a life limit but everyone forgets about them

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Read a article and met the owner who pulls for a living campers, he has a duramax with over 1 million miles towing on a truck with nothing replaced. He replaces at 3k and is religious with the other fluid replacement intervals. I replace at 6k and I run syn oil. Seems everyone says replaced at manufacturing Times but who here follows to other fluids, trans, rear diff, front and t case if equipped , brake fluid, ps fluid??? Yes these fluids have a life limit but everyone forgets about them
I follow the maintenance schedule for all fluids and other items. Having older vehicles I've even serviced some things at 100K even though they don't call for it for good measure.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #20

Other fluids depend on type of driving. If a normal city or highway driving, I will not touch the other fluids until the schedule states it is needed.
For my H3, I change the front/rear diffs at 40K (and analysis says the fluid was ok), also had the trans flushed and the t/case fluid changed at approx. the same time. If I keep it, brake and PS around 75K. H3 is driving under extremely severe conditions.

The Silverado won't be around long enough to care about anything other than engine oil. However, if it was, I probably would do the front/rear diffs at around 50K and the trans and t/case at the same time. This would probably follow the "severe" service schedule in the owner's maintenance requirements schedule.

Anyone ever have an oil analysis done on their oil from a change? It can be very informative not only in telling you if the oil is still viable, but also with amount of metal in oil, and other objects.