Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Submarines once..........

Okay so I am confused now?!?

Okay so we were tent campers for awhile until 2008 when we bout our 2280 PUP. A few weeks ago we upgraded and purchased a 233S Roo to better fit our family which has grown since we bought the PUP. I have been reading a lot about WDH and Sway control. I understand that sway control would be necessary from a safety standpoint. With my F-250 I am planning on bringing the TT home without a WDH and getting one before the camping season really starts. Is that okay? I guess I am now confused on the difference between a WDH and sway control I always though it was one in the same. Also any ideas on where I can get these? Our local tractor supply had the WDH kit for $299 and they had no sway bars.
melbornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

LISTEN HAVE A MINILITE 1809S THAT I USE ONLY AN EQUALIZER REESE 550 AND I NEVER EXPERIENCED ANY SWAYING AT ALL. MY SPEED DOES NOT EXCEED 55 mph AND MY PULLING VEHICLE IS MUCH SMALLER THAN YOURS
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Many weight distributing hitches do not provide sway control. All they do is put the weight back on the front axle of the your tow vehicle, while taking weight off of your rear axle. Some of the redistributed weight is also put back on the trailer axles.

Sway control does nothing for distributing the weight, but stiffens up the connection between the tow vehicle and trailer, either by a friction bar, or better yet, something that is incorporated in the some weight distributing hitches like the Equalizer (brand), Reese Staight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox.

Even with an F250, WDH and sway control should be used. Some of the older F250s only had a hitch that was rated for 500 lbs. of weight carrying capacity, and the listed empty weight of the Roo 233S is 647 lbs.....that will be much more once you put a battery and full propane tanks on the tongue, as well as camping gear in the trailer latter on.

If the hitch is rated for more weight carrying capacity than the actual tongue weight of the Roo, then the F250 should handle the weight OK, but you will have a much more enjoyable and safe driving experience by using a WDH and sway control.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team

a WDH or weight distributing hitch doesn't necessarily control sway. it moves tongue weight back off the TV's hitch, to the trailer's axles.
cheap WDH's probably like the $299 one you mention, require a separate device, usually a friction anti-sway bar, to be added to control sway.
you have to remove this bar to back the trailer up.
it's old tech that's proven but has been around for decades.

some newer WDH's like the Equal-i-zer, have built-in sway control. these are slightly more expensive but, IMHO, worth the extra money.
the Equal-i-zer also uses weight bars, instead of chains, requires no drilling like other WDH's, and you can back up without having to remove anything.

i would suggest you get the WDH and sway control before you leave the dealer, since you're planning on getting one anyway. unless you're only driving a short distance with no freeway driving.
you're going to need sway control at the least.

if you're buying from RVW, they have the best prices on the Equal-i-zer.
what brake controller do you have or are getting? you know that it's required by law to have one, don't you?

not knowing the specs on your truck, can't say if you'll need the WDH.
your owner's manual should have the hitch weight amount that requires you to use a WDH. it'll be in the towing section.

by the way, many use the term "equalizer" to describe a WDH, when there's only one true Equal-i-zer, a brand name.
kinda like "Kleenex".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
a WDH or weight distributing hitch doesn't necessarily control sway. it moves tongue weight back off the TV's hitch, to the trailer's axles.
cheap WDH's probably like the $299 one you mention, require a separate device, usually a friction anti-sway bar, to be added to control sway.
you have to remove this bar to back the trailer up.
it's old tech that's proven but has been around for decades.

some newer WDH's like the Equal-i-zer, have built-in sway control. these are slightly more expensive but, IMHO, worth the extra money.
the Equal-i-zer also uses weight bars, instead of chains, requires no drilling like other WDH's, and you can back up without having to remove anything.

i would suggest you get the WDH and sway control before you leave the dealer, since you're planning on getting one anyway. unless you're only driving a short distance with no freeway driving.
you're going to need sway control at the least.

if you're buying from RVW, they have the best prices on the Equal-i-zer.
what brake controller do you have or are getting? you know that it's required by law to have one, don't you?

not knowing the specs on your truck, can't say if you'll need the WDH.
your owner's manual should have the hitch weight amount that requires you to use a WDH. it'll be in the towing section.

by the way, many use the term "equalizer" to describe a WDH, when there's only one true Equal-i-zer, a brand name.
kinda like "Kleenex".
My F-250 came with integrated trailer brakes when we bought it as part of the towing package. I found the specs on the Ford website and the TT is right on the line for the weight they suggest having a WDH. I do like the fact that no drilling is requiered on some of them.
63 Nights in 2012! 8 Nights and counting in 2013
Four high energy Little Girls!:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

I tow daily with an f250, I pull an 18 ft contractor trailer that weighs around 7500lbs. The tounge is over 900lbs, I have no weight distrobution nor sway control. The trailer tows strait and tru, no sway and no squat issues with the truck. My hitch (ball and shank) is rated for 15000lbs and 1500 tongue wt and the reciever is rated for 1000lb tongue NOT using a WDH. I have been towing for 20 years both tag and 5th wheel. your little Roo is a peanut for the 250, I would tow it home anyday without fear. As far as longevity, get a good WDH with the sway control built in, well worth the money and no extra parts. The WDH is really not needed for the trailer but with the truck loaded it will make the ride quality a million times better, no up and down. The sway control will help keep the tail from waggin the dog, the trailer being so light will be affected greatly by the road and wind. The sway control part will try and keep the truck and trailer strait like it was a single vehicle. I ran the Equilizer for years with our old 150 but sold it with the truck as it wouldnt work with the 250 and 350...great product
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help guys. I looked at a few different ones online and could not beat the price at RVW for the equalizer. I went with the 1000/10000 one because weight of the trailer is just under 6000 lbs before we load it up. You guys have been more than helpful thanks again!
63 Nights in 2012! 8 Nights and counting in 2013
Four high energy Little Girls!:
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

just get to know the feel of your rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkfamily View Post
I tow daily with an f250, I pull an 18 ft contractor trailer that weighs around 7500lbs. The tounge is over 900lbs, I have no weight distrobution nor sway control. The trailer tows strait and tru, no sway

I have been towing for 20 years both tag and 5th wheel. your little Roo is a peanut for the 250, I would tow it home anyday without fear

I have to agree with that statement
I also towed for many years at work
some pretty heavy equipment at times
none of us used
weight distrobution nor sway control
most important
just get to know the feel of your rig
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo 233s, sway, towing, weight distribution hitch