Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #31
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

Did you read it or just look at the pictures?
I don't recall seeing this either, going to have to re-read it again.

26WRB - V-Lite
Denali HD LML
Coops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #32
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Did you read it or just look at the pictures?
Read it in both manuals. Page 4-86 in mine. For some reason, can't upload the manual.

Do stand corrected, it says should remain the same. The picture shows the A being the distance from the ground to the top of the front fender opening on the wheel centerline.

A: Body to Ground Distance
B: Front of Vehicle
When using a weight-distributing hitch, the hitch must
be adjusted so the distance (A) remains the same both
before and after coupling the trailer to the tow vehicle.

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
on the newer fords, it is recommended that you take out no more than HALF the front wheel well height gained when trailer was added (without wd bars obviously) if front in rises 2 inches with trailer, then with teh bars added it should be 1 inch...

milcop, your first issue is that if you ever get the truck level, you wont have enough holes on your drop hitch to get the trailer level....

the bags should NOT have made a diff in ride height at 5psi...or even 10...on the empty truck....of course, on the fords the ass end sits up higher anyway...

my guess is that you need to tilt your head back (not yours, on the shank!! LOL) to gain a lil more lift from the bars...around 30-40psi in the firestones should get the truck level....then use a longer drop shank to make the trailer sit level to slightly nose down..

dont be surprised if you ahve to take the head apart several times to add washers and adjust the ball height...

of course then you can take the whole thing to a scale and weigh it and see exactly how much transfer you are getting with the setup and fine tune it further from there to get everything balanced....

its kinda a pain, but you really only have do it once, and it makes for SUCH a nicer ride once everything is set right....
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
with the ball straight up I was using the 5 or 6th link on the chain. 6 was perhaps too much to try and pick uo the back of the truck creating more sway? does that seem correct.
The ball tilt is used to increase or decrease the weight on the front TV axle. The chain links used (under tension) can also accomplish that. Reese recommends no less than 5 chain lengths under tension. 6 or 7 is better, especially when using the trunion style spring bars in a trailer with the couple mounted on top of the tongue......there can be clearance problems between the dual cam yoke and the spring bars.

With the setup used in the picture with the truck and trailer, the head assembly either needed to tilted back a notch or 2, or using less chains links between the cam and snap up brackets would long as there are 5 links or more used.

With the tilt shown the 1st post, along with the the picture of the truck and trailer (if the hitch head til was the same there), then I would presume the coupler is mounted on the top of the tongue frame ?? Generally, depending on chain lengths used, the head assembly is tilted forward on trailers where the coupler is mounted to the bottom of the frame, and the head assembly is tilted back on trailers with the coupler mounted on top of the tongue frame.

The OP indicated that the truck and trailer picture was taken with the old setup. That setup probably did not distribute enough weight to the front TV axle, as apparent with the truck rear down attitude. I would 1st try the new setup as is, just to see how lowering the ball by flipping the shank is gonna work. If the same head assembly tilt was kept with the new setup, by lowering the trailer tongue that just might add enough tension on the spring bars to distribute the weight better. Do the fender measurements in the driveway before taking to the scales. For my setup, between 0 and 1/16th inches gain on the front fender measurements seem to work....I am actually adding 60 lbs. to my front axle with the spring bars in place.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote