Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #1

On all fours or trailer?

We have spent most of our RV time pulling bumper pulls, that is until last week. I purchased a 2005 Forest River Sunseeker 2900 LE. We own a Jeep Liberty 4x4 with a manual transfer case, so it could be safely towed.

Since I am a newbe at this, my question is should I go with a tow bar, brake buddy, etc and tow the vehicle or should I purchase a trailer to put the Jeep on? As I see it, the cost will be about the same but the advantages of putting the Liberty on a trailer would be making it possible to back up and maneuver better. And less ware and tear on the Jeep.

What do you experienced RVer's think? I only have a 5000 pound hitch on the Sunseeker. If I went with a trailer, it would have to be light weight.

Thanks for any advice,
Dizzy-Dick
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Have you considered where you are going to store a trailer, both at home and on sometimes small campsites? And yes, there is the weight, and gas mileage, issue. Or are you perhaps talking about a tow dolly, which is a different beast? I can't say that I recall ever seeing anyone hauling their toad on a trailer.

In any event, my preference would be to use a tow bar because there is far less hassle, time and energy involved. The downside of doing so is that not all vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground, so you have rather limited choices at trade-in time. Also, each such towed vehicle has to be equipped with brackets to which to attach the tow bar. Those brackets are not one size fits all.

As to backing up (with the toad attached) when using either a dolly or a tow bar, I believe you might find that to be just a little bit of a problem.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #3

Reply to Richard D.

I have plenty of space to store a trailer, but you are right, some camping spots may be too small for it.

No, I wasn't thinking of a dolly, but a simple open trailer (one or two axles and a frame) for the Jeep Liberty. Since that would eliminate the problem of backing up (can't back up a towed car with four wheels on the ground or on a dolly) it may be worth the extra weight. What do you think?

You are probably right in suggesting that I go with a tow bar.

Thanks,
Dizzy-Dick
Cut & Shoot, TX
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote