Old 04-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

On-board air compressor

I am about to add Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs to my 2500HD Silverado. Do most of you that have air bags on their tow vehicle also have an on-board compressor for the system, or do you simply air them up vid the Schrader valve at the rear bumper / license plate area?

And, if you do have a compressor, where is it mounted? My gas pickup had an extra battery tray on the left front corner of the engine compartment that would have worked perfectly. The Duramax is pretty tight on space under the hood.

Thanks for your replys.

Mike

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Of the three vehicle I had air bags I never had a compressor to them. Once I set them that is where they stay for the journey.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

I have the one I bought for my 2000 Silverado mounted under the floor board on the drivers side. I have another one complete with gauge/switch, etc. The one I'm using is 16 yrs old and still works great. BTW, it is an AirLift. Makes it handy to adjust 'on the go' or for the load. Push a button and let the air out or press the switch and pump them up.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #4

I have the complete ride-rite setup on my SD. I put it on when the truck was new(2000).I did have to replace a compressor switch a few years ago but other than that it has been 100% trouble free,even the leveling valve still works fine after 16 yrs!I originally had the compressor and tank mounted in a aluminum tool box in the bed.This was fine pulling the gooseneck horse trailer as I had plenty of clearence in a tight corner. When we got the 315wp I only had 8" bed rail clearence and onl 3" over the tool box.I changed to a combo box that sets flush with the top of the bed rails and has a 40gal transfer tank and a tool box in one unit.Anyway, I wouldnot screw around haveing to find an air source everytime I change the load in the truck.With the auto level setup it doesnt matter how much or little is loaded,the ride hight stays the same. I also ran an air line back to my 5th airborne gooseneck coupler.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks, doc73, OldCoot and trbomax.

Anybody else have an opinion? On-board compressor or not with Ride-Rite system?
Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #6

I put Firestone air bags on my TV but did not add the on-board air compressor until later. Originally, I ran the air lines to the back bumper area and secured them to small holes in the hitch receiver. It worked perfectly but I got tired of having to pull my portable compressor out to fill the bags. Although the on-board compressor was a pricey addition it is well worth it IMO. Takes all the fuss out of it. Hitch up - inflate the bags. Unhitch - deflate the bags...All from within the cab of the truck.

Now, if I can just figure out how to use my on-board compressor system to inflate my tri glide pin box I'll be in business.
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
I put Firestone air bags on my TV but did not add the on-board air compressor until later. Originally, I ran the air lines to the back bumper area and secured them to small holes in the hitch receiver. It worked perfectly but I got tired of having to pull my portable compressor out to fill the bags. Although the on-board compressor was a pricey addition it is well worth it IMO. Takes all the fuss out of it. Hitch up - inflate the bags. Unhitch - deflate the bags...All from within the cab of the truck.

Now, if I can just figure out how to use my on-board compressor system to inflate my tri glide pin box I'll be in business.
Thanks, slide5r4fun. Appreciate your input.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #8

I just added the airlift 72000 wireless compressor to my Hellwig helper bags. Mounted it mid ship under the cab. The wireless controller is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

Here is what my setup looks like.In the last pic you can see the leveling valve where it is attached to the axel tube.It keeps the ride hight of the truck the same no matter how much or lettle is loaded in it.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

I'll try again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	106523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2243.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	106524   Click image for larger version