Old 02-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

On Board Air System Install

Hey all:

Just wanted to take a minute and share a project my father and I have been working on with his 2012 Megacab Cummins!

He already has air bags installed under the truck but is filling them via valve stems tucked in near the rear license plate. We have decided to install and on board air compressor for him. He already had the Viar portable pump rated for 200 psi and to run contiguously.

We are roughly 3/4 of the way done, with just some minor plumbing left to do in the bed of the truck. I will post a few cruddy pictures that I have taken with my phone of what the cab looks like as it is complete and will get some better quality pictures once everything is done! (should be receiving the last shipment of pieces this weekend!)

The pictures of the gauges:

The top gauge is a single needle gauge to show the air tank pressure.
The middle gauges is a dual needle gauge and will show the pressure of each air bag installed in the truck.
The bottom is the delete tuner.

The Switches:

The two larger paddle switches are to control air in and out of each air bag.

The middle rocker switch is to turn the pump on or off. The LED lights up indicating that the pump is on, and will only run if the ignition is on.

The tiny red button controls a solenoid that drains the auxiliary air tank to bleed any water out of the system or to just empty all remaining air.

The panel that these switches are installed in is attached to the center console of a Laramie edition truck. That panel actually pops right out and was perfect size for this project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	46792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	46793  

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

nice clean setup - i run a York belt-driven compressor (its actually a large A/C compressor converted to use for air) off a custom bracket and double pulley in the engine bay- this fills a hotdog tank under the hood of my jeep and also front and back steel bumpers (which are sealed to be air tanks) - i have quick-connects on both bumpers and use a HD coil hose to be able to reach anything i need to. useful for refilling my 36" jeep tires but also for the use of pneumatic tools.

having access to high-pressure compressed air is very handy on a rec vehicle and much more handy than a piddly little roadside emergency compressor. nice clean work avolneck!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
nice clean setup - i run a York belt-driven compressor (its actually a large A/C compressor converted to use for air) off a custom bracket and double pulley in the engine bay- this fills a hotdog tank under the hood of my jeep and also front and back steel bumpers (which are sealed to be air tanks) - i have quick-connects on both bumpers and use a HD coil hose to be able to reach anything i need to. useful for refilling my 36" jeep tires but also for the use of pneumatic tools.

having access to high-pressure compressed air is very handy on a rec vehicle and much more handy than a piddly little roadside emergency compressor. nice clean work avolneck!

So you fill your tubular bumpers with air and use as a pressure tank?? That's pretty slick. Would of never thought to use that space.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
So you fill your tubular bumpers with air and use as a pressure tank?? That's pretty slick. Would of never thought to use that space.
yes, the jeep bumpers are custom fabricated 2x4 box steel so they work as an air tank as well as tow point and on the front, winch mount. i run the air lines through the box frame to protect them from abrasion. the hotdog tank plus the two bumpers definitely help with reducing compressor cycling, especially when running an impact wrench or air grinder (i jeep with friends who have onboard welding too, so the grinder comes in handy if we need to prep a spot before welding a deep woods repair that can get us home again) haha.

cheers.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
yes, the jeep bumpers are custom fabricated 2x4 box steel so they work as an air tank as well as tow point and on the front, winch mount. i run the air lines through the box frame to protect them from abrasion. the hotdog tank plus the two bumpers definitely help with reducing compressor cycling, especially when running an impact wrench or air grinder (i jeep with friends who have onboard welding too, so the grinder comes in handy if we need to prep a spot before welding a deep woods repair that can get us home again) haha.

cheers.
Hey Rawlus, see you are from Mass, you involved with any 4x4 clubs?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

hi lane, i think i know you actually. ive been on some trail cuts and class 4 runs when you may have been running your toy with you son perhaps?

ive been active in NEWJO, FTR, and a few others and helped build NEOW with Shane way back in the day. we probably know a lot of the same people, Scott Hatch among them.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #7

I have a similar setup under the hood of my Jeep too, Rawlus. One fire extinguisher converted to be a tank and my front bumper sealed up. I used the Jeep's stock AC compressor--Sanden--since my Jeep didn't have AC from the factory but had the mounting bracket sitting right there. The other trick I've seen people do is close up the ends of all the roll cage tubing, and use the entire volume of the roll cage as an air tank. Pretty slick set up as well.

I'm guessing we also know a few Jeepers in common...

To the OP: nice install. I have the Firestone bags in my truck, and your setup is way nicer than mine...cool!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
hi lane, i think i know you actually. ive been on some trail cuts and class 4 runs when you may have been running your toy with you son perhaps?

ive been active in NEWJO, FTR, and a few others and helped build NEOW with Shane way back in the day. we probably know a lot of the same people, Scott Hatch among them.

I thought the name looked familiar!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #9

As promised, below is a picture of the tool box mounted in the bed of the truck. The tool box is housing the air compressor as well as a 3 gallon aux tank. I apologize but I forgot to snap a picture of the quick connects for air hoses I mounted in the rear of the bed for filling tires and such. I will get a picture of them soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618[1].jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	47205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619[1].jpg
Views:	99
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	47206  

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #10

Nice setup!! Dont forget the air chuck to blow up pool toys, or blow off dirt/debris.

I've got air as well :

14' Coachmen 320 BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
IColeman is offline   Reply With Quote