Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

On the bump stops

Not sure how much of a problem this is or if it is even a problem. Anyway, last week when we got all loaded up to go out for a few days I've noticed that I didn't have much suspension travel at the rear of the tow vehicle. For example, when I stepped on the bumper to get in the truck bed, there was little suspension movement. I'm towing a Rockwood MiniLite 2304 with a Ram 1500 2wd. The tongue weight, as measured on a CAT scale is right around 780 Lbs and the trailer grosses at 4750 Lbs on the same scale. All well with in the limits of the truck and the trailer.
Now for the gist of this discussion. When I looked under the truck to see if I had binding or an obstruction around the axle, I discovered that there was about 1/2 inch clearance between the bump stop and the rubber bump pad. The coil springs looked to be near max compression. Being a bit concerned, I disconnected the trailer and did the measurement routine and after reconnecting found the wd hitch had put the front suspension to with in 1/16 inch of the trailer off/ disconnected measurement which is what I expected. But the rear had a squat of 1 7/8 inch (the squat was the same for both sides).
I can't remember when I set up the hitch three years ago whether I even checked the rear suspension measurement. Now I know the coil spring suspension is softer than the old leaf springs, but this is disconcerting. I'm right in the middle of the tow rating of the truck (8700 Lbs), with in the rating of the hitch (Curt with 1000 Lb bars) and just under the max pay load of the truck (about 1600 Lbs). So, because I can't add a spring like in the old days. Do I have to install a set of air bags? Will I run into any problems if I don't? I haven't had any problems on the road as far as bottoming out etc, but I also haven't been on any "bad/rough" roads either. So no reason to "exercise" the suspension.
I talked with the dealers, both truck and trailer, and neither had any idea what to do because they never ran into this "problem" before. I'd be interested in what thoughts come from the more experienced members.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't want to do airbags you could try timbrens. They are much cheaper than airbags. My understanding is timbrens cushion the bump stops a bit and don't affect your ride when not pushing on the bump stops ie unhitched. Airbags typically require at least a little air in them at all times and will require adding air before trips and removing air after trips. Timbrens are install and pretty much forget. We are currently considering them for our truck.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #3

I have the Timbrens on my 13 1500.Made all the difference in the sag.Ram 1500 are built soft so the ride is better.Timbrens don't affect the ride at all.Unloaded they don't touch.Loaded they set down and hold the truck where it should be.Air your tires up to max and enjoy your drive.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

I have the AirLift bags and an on board compressor. I like that I get to control the ride by adjusting the amount of air. Pulled a tt for 50,000 miles with them and now a 5er over 20,000 miles. Like someone said, inflate truck tires to max and if you have P tires, suggest switching to LT.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Incheon, S. Korea

Airbags. Timbrens don't begin to work until you're near the bump stops, so your front end is already pointing skyward... Timbrens won't do anything to rectify that, airbags will.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I have the AirLift bags and an on board compressor. I like that I get to control the ride by adjusting the amount of air. Pulled a tt for 50,000 miles with them and now a 5er over 20,000 miles. Like someone said, inflate truck tires to max and if you have P tires, suggest switching to LT.
I'm with these guys.
Air bags all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Airbags. Timbrens don't begin to work until you're near the bump stops, so your front end is already pointing skyward... Timbrens won't do anything to rectify that, airbags will.

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #7

I used air shocks on an f150/5th wheel combo. It was cheap and easy and worked well.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #8

re: on the bump stops

After reading the comments and doing some research (reading) I think the air bags with an on board compressor set-up will satisfy our requirements. I like the idea of being able to control the settings for various conditions with out visiting a service station to air up. The only thing now is finding an Air Lift or Firestone dealer in our area and get fixed up.
Thanks to all for the comments and ideas.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

I have had firestone air bags on the Tundra for five years and am on our second 5er. No complaints at all with the air bags. They were an easy self install.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #10

I was on my bump stops on my F 250. I put firestone ride rite air bags on with a hard wired on board compressor. I absolutely love it. I would not tow with out them. You can be driving down the road and due to weather conditions adjust you pressure for better ride. Cost me about $1200 for everything installed.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #11

air bags

Been looking last couple of days for air assist bags for our 2004 f150. I have it setup as tight on the WD bars as I want to go, and am just trying to level it out some more.
Right now Airlift is offering a $50 to $100 dollar rebate on their air springs, good till October 31, 2014.
Their website has links to online retailers and I found a good price for our setup. Prob gonna pull trigger very soon. Came here to find more info before I commit all of the way, though.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #12

I had Timbrens on my 2003 dodge 2500 but the ride did suffer when loaded. Of course those dodge seats didn't help any... Lol. Unloaded it was ok

On the new truck I went with the Firestone Ride Rites with wireless on board air. This is the way to go! I got them off of Amazon and may had 850 in parts and install. Very cool being able to adjust on the go or stand outside and adjust the air to see where the truck is stilling loaded up.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleann View Post
Been looking last couple of days for air assist bags for our 2004 f150. I have it setup as tight on the WD bars as I want to go, and am just trying to level it out some more.
Right now Airlift is offering a $50 to $100 dollar rebate on their air springs, good till October 31, 2014.
Their website has links to online retailers and I found a good price for our setup. Prob gonna pull trigger very soon. Came here to find more info before I commit all of the way, though.
If you know the part # then search Amazon. I bet you will save a decent amount even with the rebate at the other place.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #14

I had Air Lift bags on my '09 Ram 1500 and loved them. Took the sag out and it road surprisingly well with 30lbs in them with the TT connected. I too had the onboard compressor, definitely worth the little bit of money and effort to install them. Good luck!

2014 Coachmen Catalina 303KDS
Miller303KDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

So, have you been to the scales yet?

Since you have a WD hitch AND assuming it is set up properly AND you are still "on the stops" you are most likely over the rear axle rating and since most rear axle ratings far exceed the truck gross vehicle rating you are most likely over on the frame rating too.

Airbags and helper springs do not change the max load ratings for your truck. They just make towing a "better" experience by evening out the bumps in the road and allowing the truck to ride more level with a full rated load.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #16

I agree with the airbags and on-board compressor. I have the Firestone air bags and the Airlift remote compressor. I added the compressor after I couldn't find air one morning before hooking up. Hitching and unhitching the WD is super easy now.

The benefit of this setup is ease of adjustment; more stuff in the truck, more stuff in the trailer, tank(s) full, adjust the air pressure. Unhook, empty the truck, adjust the air pressure it makes it very simple and convenient.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
So, have you been to the scales yet?

Since you have a WD hitch AND assuming it is set up properly AND you are still "on the stops" you are most likely over the rear axle rating and since most rear axle ratings far exceed the truck gross vehicle rating you are most likely over on the frame rating too.

Airbags and helper springs do not change the max load ratings for your truck. They just make towing a "better" experience by evening out the bumps in the road and allowing the truck to ride more level with a full rated load.
I'm with Herk, but I'm questioning whether the hitch is actually set up correctly. I would take another look at it, since you are still dropping 2" in back.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
Site Team

We try to land on the low end of the [money spent on camping] scale!
I've had airlift air bags for 10 years and am very happy with them.
I like being able to keep my headlights down on the road instead of
in the rear view mirrors of anyone in front of me!

I opted for the self install with no compressor.
A $20 slime brand 12v tire inflator from WallyWorld works great for
adjusting them. This inflator can take up to 10 minutes to fully air up
a full sized car/van/truck tire but the air bags are small and it only takes
a minute or two to boost them.

Your choice- dealer install with compressor $1000+
Do it yourself without compressor $275
Maybe the ability to push a button on the dash to adjust them is
priceless to you....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We try to land on the low end of the [money spent on camping] scale!
I've had airlift air bags for 10 years and am very happy with them.
I like being able to keep my headlights down on the road instead of
in the rear view mirrors of anyone in front of me!

I opted for the self install with no compressor.
A $20 slime brand 12v tire inflator from WallyWorld works great for
adjusting them. This inflator can take up to 10 minutes to fully air up
a full sized car/van/truck tire but the air bags are small and it only takes
a minute or two to boost them.

Your choice- dealer install with compressor $1000+
Do it yourself without compressor $275
Maybe the ability to push a button on the dash to adjust them is
priceless to you....
I do the exact same thing. I did go with the Firestone bags, though. I bought a 7 way adapter that has a 12V outlet so I can plug my little Slime compressor up at the rear of the truck. Of course, it has to be running to get 12V there.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
Site Team

Another reason for air bags is once in a great while I'm hauling stuff.
Mulch, bricks, lumber, firewood etc.
No trailer involved so there is no WD hitch to help level the truck.
Just add air to the air bags and haul on! Nice and level fully loaded.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote