Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #81

The biggest thing about a CDL is the first word COMMERCIAL ie to make money
Junior11478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #82

Straight from MN licensing web site. With a ~7000 lb truck you have 19000 lbs left for a trailer.

Class D License
Most common license for Minnesota drivers.
With a Class D driver's license, driver may operate:

-All single-unit vehicles (cars and pickup trucks), except those with a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds, vehicles designed to carry more than 15 passengers (including the driver), and vehicles that carry hazardous materials.
-Any farm truck transporting agricultural products, farm machinery or farm supplies (including hazardous materials) within 150 miles of the farm. The farm truck must be operated by the farmer, his or her immediate family member or an employee of the farmer.
-Operating an authorized emergency vehicle whether or not in excess of 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
-Recreational equipment (motor homes and camping trailers) as defined in Minn. Stat. § 168.002, subd. 27, operated for the driver's personal use.
-A towed vehicle with the combined gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less.
-Motorized bicycles.
-Motorcycles, with the appropriate license endorsement.
-Neighborhood electric vehicles (NEVs).
-Autocycles.

One-Ton Pickup Trucks for Non-commercial use (Minn. Stat. § 168.002):
Effective August 1, 2011, legislation established a distinction in registration
and license plate display between commercial and non-commercial full size
one-ton pickup trucks. Person declaring “personal/non-commercial use only”
can register in the “Y” non-commercial truck class for registered weights of
10,000, 12,000 and 15,000 pounds. There is no difference in the registration
tax amount; it is merely a plate designed to allow the owner to declare non-
commercial use which is exempt from the USDOT number requirement. The
plate identifies the vehicle a non-commercial truck.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Here in Ontario, there's no such thing as a 'CDL' where the C means Commercial. We don't have 'Commercial' Driver's Licenses. Our DLs are based on Weight/Passenger Capacity. There's a better chart on their website but basically:

Class A: GCWR over 11,000 KG, trailer over 4,600 KG
Class B: Bus over 24 people capacity, including school aged children
Class C: Bus over 24 people capacity, excluding school aged children
Class D: GCWR over 11,000 KG, trailer under 4,600 KG
Class E: Bus under 24 people capacity, including school aged children
Class F: Bus under 24 people capacity, excluding school aged children, and ambulances
Class G: GCWR under 11,000 KG, trailer under 4,600 KG, provision for pickups towing 'house trailers' over 4,600 KG as long as total is under 11,000 KG.
Class M: Motorcycles
Class Z: Airbrake endorsement.

None of these imply 'Commercial'. Instead, the 'Commercial' aspect comes in under a 'CVOR' (Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration). The rules and regs on this are on the ministry's website:

Quote:
Operators that need a CVOR certificate

Carriers that operate certain types of vehicles require a CVOR certificate, including commercial motor vehicles that are plated in Ontario, the U.S. or Mexico. These vehicles include:
  • trucks with a gross weight or registered gross weight over 4,500 kg
  • buses with a seating capacity of 10 or more passengers
  • tow trucks - regardless of gross weight or registered gross weight
Vehicles plated in other Canadian provinces or territories don't need a CVOR certificate. They require a safety fitness certificate from the province or territory in which the vehicle is plated.

Operators that don't need a CVOR certificate

Carriers that operate certain types of vehicles do not need a CVOR certificate. These vehicles include:
  • truck or buses plated in another Canadian province or territory
  • trucks with registered gross weight and gross weight of 4,500 kg or less, whether towing a trailer or not
  • trucks or buses leased by an individual for 30 days or less to move personal goods or to carry passengers at no fare
  • ambulances, fire trucks, hearses, casket wagons, mobile cranes
  • unladen trucks or buses operating under the authority of dealer plates or in-transit permits
  • buses used for personal purposes without compensation
  • motor homes used for personal purposes
  • pickup trucks that:
  • have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 kg (13,227 lb)
  • are being used for personal purposes without compensation
  • are fitted with either the original, unmodified box installed by the manufacturer, or an unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one installed by the manufacturer
  • are not carrying or towing a trailer carrying commercial cargo or tools, or equipment of any type normally used for commercial purposes
I went with a 3/4 ton, capped at 9900 lbs, so that I fall under:

Quote:
  • trucks with registered gross weight and gross weight of 4,500 kg or less, whether towing a trailer or not
This allows me to be exempt from the needs for a CVOR, at least in Ontario. With a 1 ton, it gets fuzzier. While there are still provisions for lack of a CVOR up to 6,000 KG, annual inspections are required for any vehicle with a RGW over 4,500 KG as per this part of their website.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #84

Honestly... I would like to see all drivers with cdl training. Too many idiots driving too big a truck and trailer with no clue. Or in cars around us with no caution to the needs of a heavy trucks.

In terms of what you need each state is free to make thier own laws, and some have in terms rv usage. But the feds set some laws too targeting the commercial side.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #85
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Here in Ontario, there's no such thing as a 'CDL' where the C means Commercial. We don't have 'Commercial' Driver's Licenses. Our DLs are based on Weight/Passenger Capacity. There's a better chart on their website but basically:

Class A: GCWR over 11,000 KG, trailer over 4,600 KG
Class B: Bus over 24 people capacity, including school aged children
Class C: Bus over 24 people capacity, excluding school aged children
Class D: GCWR over 11,000 KG, trailer under 4,600 KG
Class E: Bus under 24 people capacity, including school aged children
Class F: Bus under 24 people capacity, excluding school aged children, and ambulances
Class G: GCWR under 11,000 KG, trailer under 4,600 KG, provision for pickups towing 'house trailers' over 4,600 KG as long as total is under 11,000 KG.
Class M: Motorcycles
Class Z: Airbrake endorsement.

None of these imply 'Commercial'. Instead, the 'Commercial' aspect comes in under a 'CVOR' (Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration). The rules and regs on this are on the ministry's website:

I went with a 3/4 ton, capped at 9900 lbs, so that I fall under:

This allows me to be exempt from the needs for a CVOR, at least in Ontario. With a 1 ton, it gets fuzzier. While there are still provisions for lack of a CVOR up to 6,000 KG, annual inspections are required for any vehicle with a RGW over 4,500 KG as per this part of their website.
Have a whole section in my book trying to figure out how to interpret Canada and Mexico "cdls".

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldhege View Post
So I just upgraded my 2009 2500HD to a 2016 3500HD. I live in Minnesota. Now I come to find out that (if I am reading this right) because it has "Y" plates (not farm plates) on it (being it is a one ton) it may be illegal for me to tow my 5th wheel camper out of state without a CDL or DOT stickers. Something about the combined gross vehicle weight being more than 10001 lbs. This can't be right can it? I have a big family trip to Indiana in July. Surely there has to be an exclusion. If not, what do you guys do?
I recently asked this same question and was told, by a State Patrolman (MN) that the plates need to be Y plates at full ton, but not my drivers license. So renewal will be Y plates. Of course, calling the State Patrol or MnDOT would be better than asking on a forum.

Be sure to tell them you're hauling your RV, and not a work trailer, and have at hand the GCVW etc so they can know exactly what to answer.

Sorry I don't have phone numbers handy. State Patrol needs to know the laws they enforce and would be the ones stopping you, so my inclination is to start there.

I ended up buying a new (17) Nissan Titan XD Cummins with lifetime bumper to bumper warranty as I could not find an affordable F250 or F350 Power Stroke that wasn't more than 200,000 miles on it. So far liking the Titan! I'll be limited to smaller rigs, but I fly solo...

Please report back your findings!
SteveJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #87
Who Dares, Wins

Also make sure you let them know it is for personal use, not for commerce / for hire.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #88
The Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldhege View Post
So I just upgraded my 2009 2500HD to a 2016 3500HD. I live in Minnesota. Now I come to find out that (if I am reading this right) because it has "Y" plates (not farm plates) on it (being it is a one ton) it may be illegal for me to tow my 5th wheel camper out of state without a CDL or DOT stickers. Something about the combined gross vehicle weight being more than 10001 lbs. This can't be right can it? I have a big family trip to Indiana in July. Surely there has to be an exclusion. If not, what do you guys do?
I was at the MN DMV last week and a guy had the same problem. I believe the lady told him to license as a private vehicle because if he licensed it the same as his old truck he needed a CDL and DOT#. She told him it costs $9 more to license it as private.
thegiant155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
I would get in touch with the Minnesota DMV or highway patrol.They should be able to give you the real scoop on it. Very few states require a class a lisence on a camper.Way back in time I drove a truck,before CDL,and I have kept my class a.Good to go for anything I'll ever tow.
Medical card up todate? If not you dont have a CDL, laws changed a few years back.
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #90
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursell View Post
Medical card up todate? If not you dont have a CDL, laws changed a few years back.
You can register as an inactive cdl holder for lack of a better way to put it as excepted so you'll keep your cdl but can not drive a cdl vehicle.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-06-2018, 06:23 AM   #91

In Illinois RV's are exempt from CDL if pulled by the owner for recreation. However, you are not exempt from having the proper weight rating on you license. Most people stop reading after RV and exempt. In my case, I got a Non- CDL class A license. This was required because my truck and trailer are over 26000 GCWR and the trailer is over 10000 lbs. Keep in mind too, they don't care what you actually weigh... it goes by the GVWR for the truck and trailer.... in my case my 2014 Ram 3500 DRW is 14000 GVWR, my 2016 Chaparral 360IBL is 14000 GVWR, therefore I have to be licensed for 28000 GCVWR and 14000 lb trailer.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Insults aside it is mostly correct. A state could make you have a cdl becaue they can make the rules more stringent.. I agree, I'd be shocked to see them do this. It seems they handle it through endorsement. A dot # requirement is not up to the carrier, it is set by law. If the unit is leased for under 30days and a dot# is required, it goes under the leased companys dot. Over 30 and you'd need your own...

But we are getting way outside personal use / vacation use since the first requirement is interstate commerce, has mats or passenger carrying vehicles over a certain person capacit.
That isn't correct either, I was leased for 10 years and ran the company dot# and license and permits the whole time, my name was on the title but every thing else was in company name.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #93
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
That isn't correct either, I was leased for 10 years and ran the company dot# and license and permits the whole time, my name was on the title but every thing else was in company name.
You are correct, I was. Wrong... It is under your dot# but you get 30 days to get it on the truck along with your name unless the lease is under the 30 days. Your name would be on everything because I'd guess you kept the truck longer than 30 days?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #94

CDLs are federally regulated. I have seen states have laws related to certain vehicles but none require a CDL - just a special license.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #95

Quote:
You can register as an inactive cdl holder for lack of a better way to put it as excepted so you'll keep your cdl but can not drive a cdl vehicle.
Not in all states.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/cdl-dot-medical
Old 06-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #96
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost13ranch View Post
Well that would be your state.. The feds say you can, so that's all I'd be able to say on that part. BUT as you can see the states can be more restrictive if they choose.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #97

Quote:
Well that would be your state.. The feds say you can, so that's all I'd be able to say on that part. BUT as you can see the states can be more restrictive if they choose.
I think that's the crux of the matter, it makes trying to figure out what's going on difficult to say the least.