Old 06-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Change ST to LT

Craig, If you decide to go that route you will need larger size and or higher Load range as LT tires are not rated for same load as ST in same size & Load Range.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #12

I don't plan to run much heavier than this weight and I'm thinking of moving some of the trailer cargo weight to the truck since it has more unused capacity.

I think going to LRD will provide enough since the heaviest tire was 2350. Going to LRE I'd probably have to change to a six bolt hub and new wheels. Tireman already explained to me it will be better to run a D at the right load rating then to run an E underinflated.

Dave, I will review your suggestion about raising the nose. I'll need to understand how to tell if a trailer is level or if it is nose high/low beyond just eyeballing it. It looks level now and the front wheels of the truck stayed the same hitched vs. unhitched according to the scales and it does not feel light when driving it. Certainly if raising the nose will redistribute the weight off the front trailer axle to the rear then that would be an incentive to run it nose high...I think but not sure. Let's say it's level now but running it two inches high helps the balance then that would be the way to go, right? If so, then I could do it with airbags or just a hitch bracken, perhaps.

I appreciate you guys weighing in on this, I'm really just a rookie at this but common sense will prevail and I'm looking forward to that 'ah-ha' moment when it is all sorted. Hopefully it will not be too costly.

Best regards,
Craig

2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Your real problem is running C-load China bomb tires. That brand has a reputation for failing. You can replace them right now or wait until they explode, possibly causing a lot more damage.

I'll defer to people with more fiver experience to answer the rest because with mine we just move the horses around for balance.
emm-dee:

The OP has Constancy brand tires. I would like to know where you are getting your information related to "reputation for failing." I'm not saying none have ever failed, but I've been on this forum for over 4 years and I have yet to see anyone posting about a failed Constancy tire. In fact, I'd never even heard of the brand until I bought my Mini Lite last year and it came with them.

And if the OP had blown the tire that's running 200 lbs overweight, that certainly wouldn't have been the tires fault. In fact, it sounds like the tire's been doing pretty darn well, so far anyway.

I agree with the poster complaining about all the "china bomb" postings on this forum. We hear all about the failures, but almost never hear about the circumstances. If the OP had had a failure without having weighed his fiver, all we'd be hearing is about his lousy china bombs, nothing about running them overloaded.

And as I've posted before, we have no clue if our tires were run at 70+ mph by the transporter from however far away our dealers are from Indiana. The tires could (and probably were) abused before you ever got them.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
emm-dee:

The OP has Constancy brand tires. I would like to know where you are getting your information related to "reputation for failing." I'm not saying none have ever failed, but I've been on this forum for over 4 years and I have yet to see anyone posting about a failed Constancy tire. In fact, I'd never even heard of the brand until I bought my Mini Lite last year and it came with them.

And if the OP had blown the tire that's running 200 lbs overweight, that certainly wouldn't have been the tires fault. In fact, it sounds like the tire's been doing pretty darn well, so far anyway.

I agree with the poster complaining about all the "china bomb" postings on this forum. We hear all about the failures, but almost never hear about the circumstances. If the OP had had a failure without having weighed his fiver, all we'd be hearing is about his lousy china bombs, nothing about running them overloaded.

And as I've posted before, we have no clue if our tires were run at 70+ mph by the transporter from however far away our dealers are from Indiana. The tires could (and probably were) abused before you ever got them.
I bought a small horse trailer a two years ago because we needed one for
short and quick trips where I didn't want to load up the 40 foot gooseneck LQ trailer. It had Constancy. Since the trailer usually sat parked for 3-5 weeks at a time I guarantee you it had a tire pressure check before every use. Surprisingly it actually never needed air added. Within six months two of those tires exploded. Less than 1,000 miles.

Fortunately I had a good dealer who replaced them at no charge. He told me he assumes that he will have to replace at least half the Constancy or Tow Max tires that come on the new units he sells. He replaces them with Maxxis since according to him he cannot get any warranty support for tires from his distributers.

I think we can all agree that Tireman9 is about the most knowledgeable members here when discussing tires. Here is what he said last year in a post regarding Constancy failures:

"A tire that is made by a company that has no stores, is in all probability just a "container baby".
To me, as a tire engineer, "container babies" are just round & black tire like things that are designed with low cost as the primary goal with the only other objective to be maybe able to pass the minimum safety requirements published by DOT.
BUT in reality it is well known that DOT is very unlikely to ever test any "container baby" because volumes are so low as to avoid gaining the attention of the regulators even is there are failure rates that are 50 times higher than seen on tires made by established tire companies that are willing to put their company name on the tire."

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I bought a small horse trailer a two years ago because we needed one for
short and quick trips where I didn't want to load up the 40 foot gooseneck LQ trailer. It had Constancy. Since the trailer usually sat parked for 3-5 weeks at a time I guarantee you it had a tire pressure check before every use. Surprisingly it actually never needed air added. Within six months two of those tires exploded. Less than 1,000 miles.

Fortunately I had a good dealer who replaced them at no charge. He told me he assumes that he will have to replace at least half the Constancy or Tow Max tires that come on the new units he sells. He replaces them with Maxxis since according to him he cannot get any warranty support for tires from his distributers.

I think we can all agree that Tireman9 is about the most knowledgeable members here when discussing tires. Here is what he said last year in a post regarding Constancy failures:

"A tire that is made by a company that has no stores, is in all probability just a "container baby".
To me, as a tire engineer, "container babies" are just round & black tire like things that are designed with low cost as the primary goal with the only other objective to be maybe able to pass the minimum safety requirements published by DOT.
BUT in reality it is well known that DOT is very unlikely to ever test any "container baby" because volumes are so low as to avoid gaining the attention of the regulators even is there are failure rates that are 50 times higher than seen on tires made by established tire companies that are willing to put their company name on the tire."
OK, so we have your single experience, a dealers "assumption" (and we all trust our dealers, right?) and Tireman's "general statement" about tires with no stores. That does not equate to a "reputation for failing" in my mind.

Points out one the problems with these forums; people making these sweeping statements with little or no factual data to back them up.

But you're right about one thing, they ARE made in China:
SHANDONG LONGYUE RUBBER CO., LTD 7B HEZE CITY SHANDONG CHINA

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #16

If your front axle is carrying significantly more weight than the rear, you are either not level (nose low) or the front axle springs/torsion-bars are stiffer than the rear. Loading of coach has no affect on this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #17

those portable scales are tricky, They have to be level and on flat clean surface. I seen one sit on a little bump on the group that no one noticed when setting them up and it threw the weights off. I would go to a CAT scale and compare numbers.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
those portable scales are tricky, They have to be level and on flat clean surface. I seen one sit on a little bump on the group that no one noticed when setting them up and it threw the weights off. I would go to a CAT scale and compare numbers.

Very good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #19

I'm really glad you and Dave brought this up because it hadn't even entered my mind. I am planning to do some measurements to check if it is riding level but haven't been able to get to it yet. I will need to hitch up and drive to level ground.

I think I can use the level gauge I added so I'd know when the refer is level but if the the fridge is not level to the frame that could be off. I can also put a level on the bottom of the frame rail to see what it indicates, that seems like a good spot to measure.

I went to get new Maxxis tires this week...
I could not believe it, the date stamp on the tire was 1111, so Nov 2011.
I previously mentioned I was interested in fresh tires, maybe he thought I wouldn't look and I'd bet that most people don't know nor do they check.

I since called America's Tire Store and they ordered a set that will be here in a few days, he mentioned he can 'request' fresh tires but the guy pulling them in the warehouse doesn't always do that. He does have the option to send them back if the date code is stale.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #20

Yep, definite re-weigh at CAT scale in near future.

Tags
wheel