Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Originally Posted by PaulandMonica View Post
Nowhere did the OP mention MAX trailer package. The 4.8l and the 5.3l are only offered with either 3.08 or 3.42 gearing but with the 6 speed transmission. It amazes me how few so called experts on this forum don't know that.
how to win friends and influence people... you need to reread the posts.

campfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #12

Not to hijack, just thought I'd chime in.

I have a similar vehicle only of the GMC flavor. My 2010 Sierra crewcab is a regional version "Texas Edition". It had many of the features included in the package price as the OP listed such as: 5.3l 6speed auto, 3.42 rear end w/locking differential, HD trailering, HD cooling, etc. GVWR 6800, GTWR 9600, GCWR 15000. One of the reasons I got it was to pull a trailer if I wanted to.

Well I guess I decided I wanted to. Will pick up a new 2011 Surveyor SPT293 Saturday.

The SPT293 has a curb weight of 4587lbs and a max of 7120lbs. I will have a WD hitch and brake controller and will see how it tows in the morning. Does anyone anticipate any issues with this setup?

GO easy on me....First post....Done hijacking...

Homey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Homey55 I tow a SPT293 - the previous truck had a GVWR of 6800 the truck towed well but.. the issue I had - and I think you and the OP may run into - was running into the GVWR when fully loaded for camping. My suggestion is to weigh your truck so you know your start point and have a good idea of what your standard camping kit weighs to minimize any potential damage to the TV and to stay safe.
PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Pulls fine

Thanks. I will have to weigh the truck. I am estimating it weighs 5200 to start. That only leaves me with 1600lbs. Tongue has to be approx 650lbs. You are right I might max it out quickly.

I picked it up yesterday and brought the spt293 home. It was 90 mile drive with mosty one lane in each direction . 60-70 the whole way with small towns in between with a stop light now and then. Now it's time to load it up and see what everything really weighs. Thanks for the insight on truck weight.
Homey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
Originally Posted by gusbell View Post
Hello all. Just joined the forums and want to ask a few questions before I jump.

We have a 2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab short bed half ton as our TV.
It has the 4.8 enging and the 3.42 rear along with the tow package.

I'm looking at the Forest River Wildwood X-Lite Backpack 26BH as our first TT.

The plan is to put a WDH w/ sway control (2) and electric brake control on at time of purchase.

I've read a bit and think I'm in good shape as far as wheel base of the TV for the TT length, weight of the TT should be fine as long as I don't overload and load any moveable weight to center or forward to make sure I don't reduce tongue weight by rear loading.

Is there anything else I should be considering before I sign and agreement to buy the trailer this weekend/early next week?

I do realize my pulling experience would have been better with the bigger engine and the 3.73 but we will generally be camping locally (within a couple hours) of Cincinnati (KY, TN, OH, IN, WV) and don't get into too big a hurry when we are traveling as it's about spending time together and destressing, not hurry up and get there so we can "have fun".

Anyone have this TV or a 2010 and a similar weight/length trailer? Hows it doing for you if you do?

Looking forward to your comments and insight.

I had a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 with 5.3L V8 and 3.73, tow package, trans cooler, etc. Pulling a 2010 Flagstaff 831RLSS was a chore for it. I pulled it to Nashville once with that truck (about 80 miles from home) and kept the accelerator to the floor 60% of the time. I promptly returned home and started looking for a diesel. The diesel is worth every penny of the extra money when you are towing. The peace of mind alone is worth it.
Mike in Tennessee
Former 2 time FR owner
2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30QB Fifth Wheel
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
rockwooddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Now play nice, and and somebody ask him how many children, bicycles, dogs, and pieces of luggage and firewood he plans to haul in the truck. He is close to max towing, probably, but how close is he to max Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the entire rig? There is more to towing than the trailer weight. Also when he mentioned towing in West Virginia, it is not flat, or at least not much of it. Sorry, I wrote this after reading only the first page. You need to know that if your trailer has St tires on it, the max speed rating is 65 mph on the tires.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #18
I have a smilar truck (07) with the 5.3 and 3.73's. I plan to upgrade the already upgraded trans cooler in the near future but have towed trailers in excess of 9000lbs (rated max is 8200) and with proper manners and road etiquette it pulled very well. The smaller V8 may struggle a bit to get you going but once in motion without a headwind you should do just fine.

I also have an XLR 23FBV on order and plan to load it right up to my trucks max towing weight and travel as much as possible with no hesitation...its true a diesel would be nice but not necessary IMO until your pulling over 10,000lbs.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new trailer to the fullest.
popik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by PaulandMonica View Post
It amazes me how few so called experts on this forum don't know that.
Normally, I don't comment on posts like this one, but here goes.

Please everyone try to remember that we are campers JUST LIKE YOU.

If the original poster asks a question we try to help from our cumulative experience and knowledge. Some have more of that than others. If you have knowledge or experience about a topic being asked then post it. If not, read the responses and maybe learn something new.

If something is posted and is in your opinion, flat out wrong; feel free to post an alternative solution with links to the source material that backs up YOUR opinion. The links are critical in allowing the original poster to decide "who is right" or which course of action they should follow.

If you are the Original Poster (OP), the person who started the thread, then the Latin Phrase "Caveat Lector" comes to mind. "Let the reader beware." Misinformation and flat out lies abound on the Internet. It is wide open and free for anyone to post whatever drivel they please. We try to limit this by asking for links to source material when ever possible.

I can not tell you how many times I have been into something I thought I had a handle on; yet when researching the actual links to publish with my post found out I was either "off base" or I remembered wrong.

Unless you work in that field, not many here are "experts" (though some of us play them on the Internet); just campers who have been there; done that; and want to help.

Please don't take this as a "spank"; we sometimes forget who is replying to our posts. This is NOT the Chevy Forum, or the Ford Forum, etc.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
There are good points here and good/bad opinions, My recommendation to Gusbell is before you actually purchase the trailer, remember the dealer will tell you your truck will pull it fine, even much larger trailers are ok by the dealer. He wants to sell trailers.

See if you can hook up and pull it around a bit, a test drive per se, how does it feel to you and how does it feel when you have to make a quick stop.

By experience it is too heavy and too long for my preference, but I won't speak for you and others that tow similar combinations.

Mike06081969 has said similar and carries a similar opinion as I do, mine as stated is due to my experience with a 1/2 ton suburban, I recently traded the suburban for a 3/4 ton diesel. Again - my opinion and preference.

Good luck

flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote