Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I went through a similar problem myself. My truck was not as new (2011 @13 mo's old) but I am guessing the loss was similar. I did decide to buy a lot more truck than I needed so I would be ready for whatever comes along. Bottom line is I know we will both be happier in the long run over the decision to upgrade.

Best of luck to you with your new truck!!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #22

I have 2 tow vehicles - a 2500hd silverado duramax and a 1500 5.3l suburban.

I can't say enough about the silverado. I never worry about getting sued. I do the right thing because I don't want to hurt anyone or especially my family. The silverado is definately a confident tow. Yes, it's mighty expensive. But it's worth it.

The suburban is a disappointment. A $50k disappointment. It's a terrific grocery getter. It's an awesome highway cruiser without a trialer. But hook up a trailer and you get the sweats. the rear end sags so it need air bags. the engine just doesn't have the power up the hills in SC and NC. I have a hard time believing anyone could be happy with a v6 1/2 ton without a turbo pulling a trailer - even in flat land.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawJim View Post
I know from the pic where you bought it. Which salesman did you deal with? Is Dale still there? I know Snuffy had to close the deal. If you'd like you can PM me. Bought my VLite there last year!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
Bottom line is I know we will both be happier in the long run over the decision to upgrade.

Best of luck to you with your new truck!!
Thanks, same to you...looking forward to loading it up and hitting the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I never worry about getting sued. I do the right thing because I don't want to hurt anyone or especially my family. The silverado is definately a confident tow. Yes, it's mighty expensive. But it's worth it.

I have a hard time believing anyone could be happy with a v6 1/2 ton without a turbo pulling a trailer - even in flat land.
I never worried about it years ago, and was fortunate enough to log many miles overloaded without incident. I'm a little older now, and things are different these days as well.

The 3.7 is a strong engine, I feel like it would do just fine up to 5K#. We pulled the 26RL home and it did better than I thought it would. But once it's loaded for camping, with my motorcycle in the bed, it would beyond the rated capacity of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I know from the pic where you bought it. Which salesman did you deal with? Is Dale still there? I know Snuffy had to close the deal. If you'd like you can PM me. Bought my VLite there last year!
Thanks...

Our salesman is new there, and still going through training. He came over from the power sports business like the manager did. It was a pleasant experience dealing with all of them there for the most part. That being said, I hope we don't have to visit them again unless we are just passing through....
Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #25

PawPawJim
I wish you well with your new rig.
I'll share my experience but you'll eventually figure out your needs and wants.
In 2010, we bought a new R-Pod 176 with a dry weight of just over 2200#. Our intent was to pull it with a Honda Pilot that had a 3.5 V-6 and a load rating of 3500# TT. We went to Gatlinburg for our maiden voyage. It done pretty good except for the incline on I-75 just south of the Ohio River. From there, we headed for the Grand Canyon. As we traveled across I-40 in Tenn., we stopped at a park for the night. As I backed into the sight, my trans. high temp. warning light came on. So we cancelled the Grand Canyon and went home. Then, I purchased a 2006 F-150 4X4 with the 4.6 V-8 and 383 gears.
Then we headed for Idaho. Things went well until we hit Nebraska & Wyoming where we had a 40-45 mph head wind. It was all the truck would do to maintain 60 mph on a 75 mph interstate. When we got into the Rocky Mountains, again we suffered for lack of power.
That was 2 years ago. This spring, we went to Arizona and the Grand Canyon with the same rig. All went well until we hit the Rocky's. From there, we went into South Utah and came home via I-70. That took us over Vail Summit. That is a steep grade. The truck was maintaining 30 mph, in low gear with my foot on the floor.
Long story short; Not enough truck for my liking. So, We were home 5 days and I traded for a 2008 F-150 that has a 5.4 V-8. It pulled the R-pod like it wasn't there. Then we upgraded to a 2013 Vibe 6501 that has a dry weight of just over 2900#. Again, the 5.4 pulled it home from the dealer with little effort. Our next trip will tell the tale.
Again, we wish you well. Have fun and be safe.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #26

Your going to love it. I promise - we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck and trailer.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	18533  
Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Your going to love it. I promise - we do.
Just got home from the dealer with it....WOW!

Can't wait to hook the TT to it and head out...
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Chevy made in china !!!!

You fellows driving the Chevy trucks had better enjoy them. Chevy is opening eleven (11) new plants in China with the $$$$ the US taxpayers loaned GM. Along with R & D being moved to China also. Now let me see,
will the owners manual be in English or Chinese?

American made ?
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
You fellows driving the Chevy trucks had better enjoy them. Chevy is opening eleven (11) new plants in China with the $$$$ the US taxpayers loaned GM. Along with R & D being moved to China also. Now let me see,

American made ?
Hear ya, DAISY BOYKIN, looks like Ford is copying GM only they're building 3 plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/bu...p-with-gm.html

BEIJING, CHINA — Ford Motor has chosen China for its largest factory expansion program in a half century, announcing on Thursday that it would build a $760 million assembly plant in Hangzhou, two weeks after announcing another $600 million plan to expand an assembly plant in Chongqing and less than six weeks after completing a third assembly plant in Chongqing.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

American made ?
OK, I need to put the brakes on this right now.
This could quickly become "political" and I would hate to play the bad guy (again). I MUCH prefer my "white hat."
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:

American made ?
Stickers will now say "Proudly made in USA" and in small print...

"Final assembly consisting of
this sticker installed on US soil."

Glad I drive a FORD the only one NOT to take a BailOut.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
OK, I need to put the brakes on this right now.
This could quickly become "political" and I would hate to play the bad guy (again). I MUCH prefer my "white hat."

Good call Herk... Don't get me wrong, I do love a good political debate.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Stickers will now say "Proudly made in USA" and in small print...

"Final assembly consisting of
this sticker installed on US soil."

Glad I drive a FORD the only one NOT to take a BailOut.
I believe this is known as "Trolling". Someone just itching for a FRF thread fight. Could do it, but Herk has ask us to stop, so I will abide by his request.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #34

Base your opinions on facts, not the rantings of rightwing radio wackados.

Ford's financial arm took $9 billion in "bailout", or as normal people call them, loans.

Their manufacturing didn't need to because the other's took their, but the wolf was certainly at the door. If GM or Chrysler went down, they surely would have come hat in hand, and not just liquidated out of principal. THe Ford Family didn't want their controling interests forfeited, so they they held out pure and simple. Their greed and not some "love of America" you guys think they had.

Also interesting, they raised all their prices substantially to take advantage of all you suckers that think they were admirable for not taking the "bailouts".

On the other subject, all the manufacturers are scrambling to build in China. The Chinese are basically requiring them to manufacture there, and share their technology. They are adept at getting us to give away the store as we are often blinded by our own greed. After we teach them to build cars, guess where ALL of them will come from in the future? Keep shoppin at Wal-Mart suckers!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Base your opinions on facts, not the rantings of rightwing radio wackados.

Ford's financial arm took $9 billion in "bailout", or as normal people call them, loans.

Their manufacturing didn't need to because the other's took their, but the wolf was certainly at the door. If GM or Chrysler went down, they surely would have come hat in hand, and not just liquidated out of principal. THe Ford Family didn't want their controling interests forfeited, so they they held out pure and simple. Their greed and not some "love of America" you guys think they had.

Also interesting, they raised all their prices substantially to take advantage of all you suckers that think they were admirable for not taking the "bailouts".

On the other subject, all the manufacturers are scrambling to build in China. The Chinese are basically requiring them to manufacture there, and share their technology. They are adept at getting us to give away the store as we are often blinded by our own greed. After we teach them to build cars, guess where ALL of them will come from in the future? Keep shoppin at Wal-Mart suckers!
Post reported at this time. If you can't follow the rules, then you shouldn't post.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

This thread is closed.
Closed Thread