Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Opinions Please

In a month or so I will be purchasing a new to me TV. I will be using it to pull my Flagstaff 21FBRS. I am looking at the Ford F150 or Ram 1500 in the 2010 to 2012 model years. When I purchase I will make sure of the specs for my towing application. I plan in time to do some full timing with boondocking out west in the picture. My question, 4WD or 2WD? I am reluctant to purchase a 3 to 5 year old 4WD, not knowing how the previous owner took care of it or if they used it properly. Also I understand the MPG is a little better with the 2WD. Any opinions or real life experiences would be welcome.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

I personally don't believe in owning a Truck that isn't 4 wheel drive. You may use it rarely, but when you need it, its priceless

With your camper (have the same one) you aren't going to Max out the towing limits, so it shouldn't really matter
Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Site Team

For my own personal preference, I wouldn't buy a truck with 4 wheel drive. One time in 10 years I needed 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't pay for a bunch of moving parts that I will never need. I don't want to pay for maintenance on parts I don't need. I don't want to carry the extra weight. It all depends on your needs, preferences, driving habits, etc.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #4

Hows this for rational, motorhomes are two wheel drive, so why not your tow vehicle.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinNJ View Post
In a month or so I will be purchasing a new to me TV. I will be using it to pull my Flagstaff 21FBRS. I am looking at the Ford F150 or Ram 1500 in the 2010 to 2012 model years. When I purchase I will make sure of the specs for my towing application. I plan in time to do some full timing with boondocking out west in the picture. My question, 4WD or 2WD? I am reluctant to purchase a 3 to 5 year old 4WD, not knowing how the previous owner took care of it or if they used it properly. Also I understand the MPG is a little better with the 2WD. Any opinions or real life experiences would be welcome.

I think that the answer depends upon what you plan to do with the truck. If you are just going to pull your TT on highways to paved campgrounds 2WD is adequate.

I have a 4WD Tundra and use the 4WD occasionally when we stop for the night and need to raise the front of the TT without unhooking by putting blocks under the rear wheels. Also, my wife and I are bird watchers and there is nothing like 4WD to improve handling when driving on washboard gravel roads. I have also helped the Meals on Wheels group in our town when snow/ice prevented their regular drivers from making deliveries.

In short I have a 4WD that I also use to tow my TT.

I have never absolutely needed a 4WD when towing but it has helped on occasion.

Buy according to your needs.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 01-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

My new truck has 10K miles on it. I've used the 4X4 function at least a dozen times. If you so any rural driving on dirt roads, in pastures, etc... I'd go for it. If it's gonna be a hiway queen, 2WD is probably adequate.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 PM   #7

Do you get snow where you live? If so, 4WD is a near necessity.

But setting that consideration aside, one thing I like about 4WD vehicles aside from the additional traction is the LOW range that is usually offered. Shifting into 4-Low puts a lot more low-speed power on the ground.

One example: I was towing with a Pathfinder that had a 4L range. Starting up a really steep grade inside a campground, I was having a hard time getting going. Shifting into 4L gave me the slow steady power I needed to get things moving.
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #8

If you've ever tried to pull a loaded camper out of a spot that is all clay you will know the answer about the 4 wheel drive. All it takes is once.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 AM   #9
Always Learning

Aaaaannnndddddd clearly- there is no one right answer.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 AM   #10

Here's my experience.

I went with the 4WD option, knowing that it would be 99% highway use. However, the times I've needed 4WD, I've needed it.

The last time I went camping it was nice and dry, supposed to rain for a couple of days, then dry for several days. Wrong. It rained for a couple of days then rained a little bit every day and stayed cloudy. Without 4WD even with the 2500lb pin load I wouldn't have gotten it out. In 4WD it had trouble, once it moved 10 feet I was fine.

If you plan on not going places that could be compromised such as unimproved dirt campgrounds or near boondocking such as in national forests, then 2WD is fine. But if you will be going to those places Murphy's law will strike.

As for buying a used 4WD, it's like anything else, proper inspection is key. Crawl under it and reach on top of the transmission, frame, inside the wheel of the spare tire. If it's been used hard off road those areas will have clods of dirt that simply can't be washed away. If it's just road dirt then odds are it's been treated well. Look at the front axles, see if the CV boots are ripped, etc. If it's been treated well then it should be no issue as modern 4WD systems are pretty rugged.

Finally, MPG. Most modern 4WD vehicles have disconnects in the front axle that essentially freewheels the front end making it almost null. In general use you'll lose 1-2MPG, in fact off road tires tend to hurt MPG more than the 4WD system.

It's up to you and how you're going to use it, do you intend to take it into potentially compromised areas?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #11

Shift on the fly 4by, I bought a 4X because I drive my TV everyday.

“Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have.”
Franz Kafka
Old 01-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #12

I have a 4X4 Diesel that I use as a daily driver. I have had to use the 4 wheel drive on about 6 occasions in the past year while camping. one time last year, my older brother (who had a two wheel drive) got stuck while camping and I pulled him out. If I did not have the 4X4 then we would have had to call a wrecker to get him out, no telling how much that would have cost. Also I have had to use my truck on several other occasions when we had snow in the area and I would not trust the 2 wheel car to get us to town. Lastly, we are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in April and we want to explore the back country as much as possible. I would not dare try to explore that area of the country without a good 4X4 vehicle. So that is my 2cents worth. But like several others have said you must decide what you and your family are planning to do with your camper and how you are going camping. The wife and I love to explore the areas that we camp in not just the campground. So the 4x4 comes in handy a lot. One last thing I have had my Dodge 2500 for about 6 years and I have only had to work on the 4x4 one time to replace a part on the secondary driveshaft. So take your time and hopefully you will make the right decision for what you need. This is a great place to come and ask for advice but ultimately it is your decision. Have fun and keep camping.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #13

I'll chime in on the pro 4x. It's just one of those things that you may not use that often, but when you need it (which usually comes unexpectedly), you REALLY need it. You mentioned boondocking... if you do any kind of remote boondocking it's almost a must. At least for me anyway. I would never take my TT on anything but pavement without the security of 4 wheel to fall back on.

The other thing to consider is resale. 4x will always be in more demand and retain more value over a 2x.

I wouldn't have any qualms about a 4 - 5 year old rig. One simple check is to put in 4 wheel, then make a slow hard cut left and right in forward and in reverse. You don't want to have much power/wheel "skipping" or wheel slop. If everything appears to be smooth and tight.. I would go for it.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #14

I tow with a 2012 F150 Eco V-6 that is equipped with the factory electronic locking rear end.
The few times that I thought I might need a 4WD the locking rear end got me out. I have always ordered this option on my trucks because it is as close as I can get to 4WD without paying the price or suffering in mpg on the 4x4. Everyone has their own preference but it is something you might want to consider.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #15

Thank you all for your replies. I guess my hesitation is buying a used 4WD. If I were buying new it would definitely be 4WD. I do plan on boondocking and exploring some of the countryside when camping and I'm sure I'll be hitting some questionable terrain. I won't be offroading but I know what a summer shower can do to a dirt road. I appreciate the tips on what to look for in a used unit. Now to get out there and start looking.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinNJ View Post
I tow the same trailer you mention with my 2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 4x4 and have not encountered any handling or pulling problems. Most of my towing has been in the foothills of Missouri, so I can't say how it will do over high mountain passes, but up some of the steeper foothills it did not struggle at all. If the trucks you're looking at are V8's that will give you the power you need, but be sure to look at their torque specs... my Nissan is 261 horsepower, but 281 ft-lbs of torque. When towing I average 12 mpg.
Hope whichever one you choose will make your towing smooth and safe.
Anderson Ultimate Fifth-Wheel hitch
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliec View Post
I tow with a 2012 F150 Eco V-6 that is equipped with the factory electronic locking rear end.
The few times that I thought I might need a 4WD the locking rear end got me out. I have always ordered this option on my trucks because it is as close as I can get to 4WD without paying the price or suffering in mpg on the 4x4. Everyone has their own preference but it is something you might want to consider.

I'll take this a step further, and say that I would never purchase a truck that didn't have BOTH 4wd and a locking rear end. To me, trucks are meant to "get stuff done", and there is no substitute for good traction...no matter how often (or not) you will need it.

If you are concerned enough about the condition of the 4wd mechanics, then maybe pay for an inspection by an independent mechanic (IE NOT inspected by the seller).
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #18

Hi, I just bought an 08 F250 4X4 diesel last spring on E-bay in Ark. I live in Pa. I fill that a lot of the trucks now day do not see a lot of 4 wheeling so they are in good shape. I had a 97 F250 4X4 diesel that I towed campers and car hauler. I took care of it. My son came up from Texas and took it back so he could haul trailers. I also have winches on both trucks incase I would need them. I would not buy a truck without 4X4 and now a diesel. I park my trailer in the yard so I use the 4X4 to get in and out of the yard.
welder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Aaaaannnndddddd clearly- there is no one right answer.
I beleive there is clearly one right answer for each person.

I live in Canada, 4x4 is a necessity, now in Texas, most likly not and be more of a want then a need. Each person knows their travels, if you camp on paved roads with well established gravel or concrete lots you will never use 4x4. Many of the campgrounds I go to have grass roads and lots, rain storm and I am not pulling out without 4x4. Easy one answer for me.

Not sure if the photo attached shows it well, but lot was grass, just off the main gravel road with about a 4% grade before it levelled, as well as a lip to get on the gravel road. Night before I leave it rains, I was not gettin out without 4x4. Now would I buy buy 4x4 just in case this where to happen once, no, for me it happens a few times a year. Plus I am not getting up my driveway in the winter without 4x4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	68765  
Old 01-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #20

4 wheel drive will also allow you to get stuck further back deeper in the muck than 2 wheel drive.........not that this is a benefit in any way. What has really been a surprise here is the lack of brand wars or promoting of Dodge over Ford.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote