Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #41

Come Monday if he offers me what I want I'll get it. Glad to know that those with this drive train like them so much. Just wish they didn't command as high of a price, but if they were as bad as a Ford 6L I could get one for next to nothing!

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9 View Post
Bought mine in Aug 07/new.. (Classic-LBZ).. but it's had a few issues. Turbo vane sensor & solenoid under warranty, transmission line leak, then entire turbo all under warranty. Had turbo re-done on my dime last summer... Had to re-do lines and put some on from Red's Auto Rehab...
When I first started looking at older model TVs (2004-2006) I ONLY looked at GMCs. From that era, they are clearly the best & if you bought one gently used Classic-LBZ 4-5 years ago for $35K, you've got a fantastic deal on a great truck and you've been able to enjoy it during its prime years with little depreciation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
A lot of the "red neck" kids are really liking diesels around here, so I think that helps with the prices.
However, IMO, buying a 10 year-old LBZ today at PREMIUM PRICES is more for hobbyists that like to mess with mods than RVers because maintaining a 10+ year-old vehicle will start to nickel & dime you, unless, like many of the "red neck kids", you have time & talent to do most of the work yourself... Otherwise you are still (likely) making payments on a $30K investment & also having to pay for pricey repair work...

For instance, one of my kid's BB coaches bought a 10 year-old GMC for a premium and within 2 years he's spent another $4000 having turbo work done, sensors & lines replaced, plus the inconvenience of not being able to use his truck while work is being done. (He does not tow a TT, but I would freak if that stuff went 1,000 miles from home) So he now has over $35K invested, not including mods, on his (now) 12 year-old truck. It is also starting to show rust even though it is garage kept & well cared for...

My point is, that for us RVers, not the diesel hobbyist, their are better bang-for-the-buck deals on gently-used diesels.... For nearly the same money you can purchase a mildly used 3-4 year-old Ram 3500 diesel with balance of the manufacture's warranty & much more payload capacity should you choose to upgrade to a 5er. Even if you are the second owner Ram will honor their 5 year/100K powertrain warranty (I know, I had warranty work done at 96K miles & didn't have to pay a dime & Ram extended the warranty another 3 years/100K miles on the replacement parts...)

Just sayin' that the OP should compare THIS truck to everything else that can be had for the same $27K...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

Old 02-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #43
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
When I first started looking at older model TVs (2004-2006) I ONLY looked at GMCs. From that era, they are clearly the best & if you bought one gently used Classic-LBZ 4-5 years ago for $35K, you've got a fantastic deal on a great truck and you've been able to enjoy it during its prime years with little depreciation...

However, IMO, buying a 10 year-old LBZ today at PREMIUM PRICES is more for hobbyists that like to mess with mods than RVers because maintaining a 10+ year-old vehicle will start to nickel & dime you, unless, like many of the "red neck kids", you have time & talent to do most of the work yourself... Otherwise you are still (likely) making payments on a $30K investment & also having to pay for pricey repair work...

For instance, one of my kid's BB coaches bought a 10 year-old GMC for a premium and within 2 years he's spent another $4000 having turbo work done, sensors & lines replaced, plus the inconvenience of not being able to use his truck while work is being done. (He does not tow a TT, but I would freak if that stuff went 1,000 miles from home) So he now has over $35K invested, not including mods, on his (now) 12 year-old truck. It is also starting to show rust even though it is garage kept & well cared for...

My point is, that for us RVers, not the diesel hobbyist, their are better bang-for-the-buck deals on gently-used diesels.... For nearly the same money you can purchase a mildly used 3-4 year-old Ram 3500 diesel with balance of the manufacture's warranty & much more payload capacity should you choose to upgrade to a 5er. Even if you are the second owner Ram will honor their 5 year/100K powertrain warranty (I know, I had warranty work done at 96K miles & didn't have to pay a dime & Ram extended the warranty another 3 years/100K miles on the replacement parts...)

Just sayin' that the OP should compare THIS truck to everything else that can be had for the same $27K...
Its to each their own!

You could give me any dodge truck and id have it on Craigslist for sale with in the hour.....won't own one.

I look at roi since i buy and sell so many vehicles. Dodges have a terrible roi around here. Gms have done me very well, and afford me too many toys (my wife thinks)
When i was selling my '05 duramax, everyone that wanted to trade in a vehicle for it......had a dodge. Some were even newer and yes some were cummins.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #44

I would have the same reservations buying a 10yr truck for such a price, regardless of their reputation. The motor may be robust, but the rest of the truck is still a 10yr old vehice. Miles rack up, things wear out. Convenience and capabilities have increased dramatically in the last 10 yrs as well.

Then you have to wonder how the truck was used and maintained the last 10 yrs. Are the miles hwy or stoplight to stoplight? Mostly empty or mostly with 15k in tow? Are comprehensive maintenance records included? Is it off the farm or garage kept?
Old 02-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #45

Quote:
I picked my 05 up in 2008 with 87k on it from a dealership I worked at. It needed some body work, but i picked it up for $14.5k then. It had about $6k of body damage (estimated cost at the shop. ) that i fixed for about $1,400.....so i came out great!
So you made my point exactly. In 2008 you found a 2005 GMC for $14.5K and even if someone else performed the $6K of body work, you would have only paid $20.5K for a 3 year-old GMC... Great Deal/Smart Deal! So of course you could drive it for a few years & still get what you paid out of it because you made such a great deal up-front...

In comparison, the OP wants to buy a 10 year-old GMC for nearly $27K... BAD DEAL. I'm not saying its a bad truck, just that it's a bad deal. The powertrain is awesome & the body will hold-out longer than Rams & Fords but everything else will last about the same. Within the next 2-3 years he will be replacing A/C lines, transmission lines, sensors, etc. I have a CDL & have driven all brands of 3/4 & 1 tons more than most and I would not pay nearly $30K for a 10 year-old 3/4 ton from ANY manufacturer.

OP, find a better deal... You asked for opinions, and I am trying to prevent you from buying an over-priced niche item...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

Old 02-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #46
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
So you made my point exactly. In 2008 you found a 2005 GMC for $14.5K and even if someone else performed the $6K of body work, you would have only paid $20.5K for a 3 year-old GMC... Great Deal/Smart Deal! So of course you could drive it for a few years & still get what you paid out of it because you made such a great deal up-front...

In comparison, the OP wants to buy a 10 year-old GMC for nearly $27K... BAD DEAL. I'm not saying its a bad truck, just that it's a bad deal. The powertrain is awesome & the body will hold-out longer than Rams & Fords but everything else will last about the same. Within the next 2-3 years he will be replacing A/C lines, transmission lines, sensors, etc. I have a CDL & have driven all brands of 3/4 & 1 tons more than most and I would not pay nearly $30K for a 10 year-old 3/4 ton from ANY manufacturer.

OP, find a better deal... You asked for opinions, and I am trying to prevent you from buying an over-priced niche item...
For what its worth, since you keep arguing the point......

My '05 was traded in wrecked to the dealership i worked at. I got employee cost and it never hit the lot since it was wrecked. The estimate may have been more that the $6k i stated...i dont remember, the records went with the truck.
Trade in at that time for it, if it wasn't wrecked was about $21,000 to $22,000 per our sales manager. (They told me to fix it and they would run it thru the auction and we would get at least $21k). So obviously the retail of this truck in non-wrecked condition was right around $30k or so in 2008 dollars. This wasn't a deal hardly anybody is ever going to get unless your on the inside and even then its tough!

Im done.
Op has probably found a good truck at a reasonable price.
If you think its too old, go buy a new one. I did and it had a $66k msrp.
I was needing a 1 ton and couldnt find a used one without a ton of miles locally.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #47

Well.............I bought a truck today. Sorry The_Rhino, it's not a Dodge.

It's not one that was on my radar. I stumbled across a 2011 F250 XLT diesel with 14,012 miles on it (no, that is not a typo). Same truck in a 2016 lists at $48k. I traded my 2010 1500 plus 11k and that includes a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty and four new Cooper Discover AT3 tires.. I'm happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	99545   Click image for larger version

Name:	f2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	99546  

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Old 02-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #48
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
Well.............I bought a truck today. Not one that was on my radar. I stumbled across a 2011 F250 XLT diesel with 14,012 miles on it (no, that is not a typo). Same truck in a 2016 lists at $48k. I traded my 2010 1500 plus 11k and that includes a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty and four new Cooper Discover AT3 tires.. I'm happy.
Congrats!!
Hope it brings you many trouble free miles!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #49

Quote:
Congrats!!
Hope it brings you many trouble free miles!
So do I!

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Closed Thread

Tags