Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #1

Out of state inspection violations

I was wondering if anybody ever had a problem with inspection violations while on the road. For instance, here in PA mud flaps aren't required on pickups but in many other states they are. My understanding always was if your legal in your home state, your good to go, but recently I've heard horror stories of tickets being issued by over zealous LEOs. Apparently, most people pay the fine rather then stick around to fight it.

Is there any real world experience with this or is it just another urban legend?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #2

Sounds like an urban legend to me. In all of our travels we've never been stopped for any reason and we've traveled quite a bit through a lot of states over the past 11 years.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

first I have heard of that. You can get a ticket out of state for things like expired reg or inspection. But I have never heard of inspection violations for the state your in when your registered to another state unless its a common item like lights, tires, etc.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Bunk.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Bunk.
Yea, that's what I thought too, but it can't hurt to ask!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3HCP View Post
I was wondering if anybody ever had a problem with inspection violations while on the road. For instance, here in PA mud flaps aren't required on pickups but in many other states they are. My understanding always was if your legal in your home state, your good to go, but recently I've heard horror stories of tickets being issued by over zealous LEOs. Apparently, most people pay the fine rather then stick around to fight it.

Is there any real world experience with this or is it just another urban legend?
Never heard of any problems. But to the comment of if it is legal in your home state your okay, if they want they can cite you for things like tints on your front windows and other type items that may be legal in one state and not another. But reality is they probably will not but can.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

I got stopped in Ohio pulling a glider trailer, truck and trailer registered in Texas, for "improper mirrors"... I received a ticket and was led to the local Justice of the Peace... that happened to be the state trooper's wife... It was Sunday afternoon and she was PISSED OFF... at HIM!!! With the mirror on the windshield, I could see over the top of the trailer. She dismissed the ticket and ripped him a new arse... and I went on my way... Didn't cost me anything but about an hour that I could have been driving toward home.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Man. I can't believe a state trooper's tickets go to a little jop court. Sounds more like a constable or city Marshall. They're famous for those kinds of stops. At least you were sent on your way with your money in you wallet.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post

Never heard of any problems. But to the comment of if it is legal in your home state your okay, if they want they can cite you for things like tints on your front windows and other type items that may be legal in one state and not another. But reality is they probably will not but can.
Agreed. A typical example of being ticketed for something minor like that would be in connection with a more serious violation like hit and run, speeding, reckless operation or after being involved in an accident.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Way back in the day when I was young, stupid and used to mod my cars this question came up a lot. In those days, the rule was always that you needed to know the laws of the state you're travelling through and to make sure you're in compliance.

Of course at that age, the belief was that everyone was out to get you and that if if you modified a car you of course must be up to no good.

Local LEOs are most likely to be more concerned with things like radar detectors, body kits, wings, lights and anything else they associate with street racers then they are with the average person who does or doesn't have mud flaps.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #11

for personal vechicles in most cases your fine from state to state, if you have DOT numbers on the side of your TV, then they can get you for just about anything, (even if your towing on TT on personal time)
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The only people I've ever seen that got stopped were people who really deserved it for something obviously dangerous.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Let's clarify a minute. LEO's can not enforce vehicle inspections from other states. What they can and do enforce are general safety such as unsafe tires (bald/low tread), improper lighting, ect. These are enforceable state to state because they are federal standards for safety.
If a vehicle has more than 1/3 of the height of the rear axle tire exposed, mudflaps are required. And they should be. Who wants a cracked windshield from a vehicle, that could be prevented by the mudflaps.
It's all about keeping people safe, operators and pedestrians alike.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #14

I've intentionally stayed out of this discussion, because I'm retired LE (Deputy Sheriff), but I have to correct something before it gets blown out of proportion. To Schrederman,
we DO NOT have Justice of the Peace in Ohio, and an Ohio State Trooper would NOT take you to a local court. You would have been issued a warning, ticket, etc. and released. The situation you describe sounds like a village police officer and his wife would have been the mayor of said village and you were taken to a mayors court, very similar to a kangaroo court. Why Ohio doesn't do away with mayors courts is an economic only issue. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sensitive about mis-information.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
I've intentionally stayed out of this discussion, because I'm retired LE (Deputy Sheriff), but I have to correct something before it gets blown out of proportion. To Schrederman,
we DO NOT have Justice of the Peace in Ohio, and an Ohio State Trooper would NOT take you to a local court. You would have been issued a warning, ticket, etc. and released. The situation you describe sounds like a village police officer and his wife would have been the mayor of said village and you were taken to a mayors court, very similar to a kangaroo court. Why Ohio doesn't do away with mayors courts is an economic only issue. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sensitive about mis-information.
Exactly. Thats what I tried to "sensitively" say earlier. Only takes a few bubba cops to give us all a bad rep.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
To clarify... I am not sure (due to this being a while ago) if it was a state trooper. I am not sure it was a JP. He did not compell me to go. I didn't want to leave the state with a problem unsolved so I asked if I could take care of this now. Reason: I traveled through there often at the time and didn't want problems. He said to follow him and we could get it handled. You are correct that misinformation can blow things out of proportion. I used the terms I used just for convenience of a poor memory, but the incident did indeed happen. I hope you were not implying otherwise. Pardon me for not expressing myself better.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Way back in the day when I was young, stupid and used to mod my cars this question came up a lot. In those days, the rule was always that you needed to know the laws of the state you're travelling through and to make sure you're in compliance.

Of course at that age, the belief was that everyone was out to get you and that if if you modified a car you of course must be up to no good.

Local LEOs are most likely to be more concerned with things like radar detectors, body kits, wings, lights and anything else they associate with street racers then they are with the average person who does or doesn't have mud flaps.
Were you a (Moonshine Runner)? Did you pursue a Nascar job? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
Site Team

Big change from "led me to jop" to "I asked the office if I could get this resolved." So the jerk officer is now the accommodating public servant who assisted the driver with his request for special treatment. Easy to see how easily stories get accidentally misconstrued. Glad this one was cleared up.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
Professional Curmudgeon

Usually, things that are uncommon in other states are clearly announced by signage at the state line. For example - upon entering Virginia you will note large, easy to read signs that radar detectors are illegal. If you are pulled over for a violation, such as speeding, and a detector is visible, it will be confiscated.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Were you a (Moonshine Runner)? Did you pursue a Nascar job? Youroo!!

Nope, just one of those 20 somethings that watched Fast and Furious and thought the cars were cool. Then I grew up, got married, had kids and now look at the bank account and think "Why did I ever waste my money on that stuff? I sure could use it now."