Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
I'm subscribed and would love to hear real world feedback. I bought my truck with 43k on it long before a trailer was even a thought. Now, we have 71k on the truck, have towed our trailer 4100 miles and the truck is currently in the shop getting new turbos, exhaust manifolds and vacuum pump. Can you say CHA-CHING!!!? This current issue is making me second guess owning and towing with the first year ecoboost. I'm very strongly going against what others are saying ("Just get a 3/4 ton diesel") and leaning towards the 6.2 F250. Not concerned about MPG, I like the idea that the F250 w/6.2 would have the most payload and the truck would handle our 7500 lbs (loaded/wet) travel trailer with more confidence.

Please let us know how it goes!

If you're having to replace turbos at 71K, I'd suspect some abuse at some point. Being you're the second owner, it could be a myriad of things since you really have no idea how it was treated before you got it. Possibly was tuned. Oil changes not done often enough- big issue especially being a forced induction engine that will experience some oil dilution. Possible PO used cheap oil. I run a full synthetic and change every 4-5K to be on the safe side. And, exhaust manifolds???? Not sure what the issue would be with your exhaust manifolds that require them to be changed- more info???
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If you're having to replace turbos at 71K, I'd suspect some abuse at some point. Being you're the second owner, it could be a myriad of things since you really have no idea how it was treated before you got it. Possibly was tuned. Oil changes not done often enough- big issue especially being a forced induction engine that will experience some oil dilution. Possible PO used cheap oil. I run a full synthetic and change every 4-5K to be on the safe side. And, exhaust manifolds???? Not sure what the issue would be with your exhaust manifolds that require them to be changed- more info???
I absolutely have my suspicions as well. My guess at this point is that the PO had it tuned and used bolt on parts for small power gains. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until the other day but it has an Airraid intake system. What else would the PO have done?

According to the service adviser, there was a chain of events that caused it all to go. Diagnostics show that the wastegates are opening and closing out of the Ford specified tolerances. I am told that this allowed extra exhaust pressure and heat to build and not be relieved properly. In this process, the turbos were damaged and the pressure caused the exhaust manifolds to leak. Both manifolds had a broken stud or two and are possibly warped. It appears that the vacuum pump is a fluke outage; however, it was replaced in May of 2017 under an added Ford extended warranty for that exact part.

In all of this, thankfully, the extended warranty is covering the turbos and vacuum pump. The manifolds may be covered; however, they must be warped as a simple broken stud is not covered (don't ask me why). So, I'm hoping to find out today that the manifolds are warped.

Through this process, it has made me reevaluate my tow vehicle. I bought the F150 long before a travel trailer was even a thought or interest to me. Compounding the current, isolated problems I'm having and the safety of a heavier duty tow vehicle, I think an F250 will be a good choice. It will physically handle the trailer better and the 6.2 is a simpler engine...just more displacement. I will miss the unloaded driveability of the F150 though.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #23

Quote:
.....The manifolds may be covered; however, they must be warped......
Just heard from Ford that they are warped. The F150 should be back on the road early next week.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #24

Quote:
I'm subscribed and would love to hear real world feedback. I bought my truck with 43k on it long before a trailer was even a thought. Now, we have 71k on the truck, have towed our trailer 4100 miles and the truck is currently in the shop getting new turbos, exhaust manifolds and vacuum pump. Can you say CHA-CHING!!!? This current issue is making me second guess owning and towing with the first year ecoboost. I'm very strongly going against what others are saying ("Just get a 3/4 ton diesel") and leaning towards the 6.2 F250. Not concerned about MPG, I like the idea that the F250 w/6.2 would have the most payload and the truck would handle our 7500 lbs (loaded/wet) travel trailer with more confidence.

Please let us know how it goes!
Not to steal from the OP...

I went from a 1500 6.2 GMC/Max Tow to a 18 F250 4.30s plow/camper package, ect... I tow a dry 9k 5'er. I am not sure I can put the difference in words. My GMC did a nice job but you always knew you were towing max. The F250 (3k payload with my options)...So smooth going down the road, you could tell you were in complete control. I didn't hit an major climbs but a few decent up and downs in NY and the pulling power was effortless. Some 5th gear pulls mostly 4th and a 3rd here and there if I had to slow down for another vehicle. I was actually slightly annoyed with the grade braking because it worked too well! But overall I was very happy. I really wanted a diesel but being a 2nd vehicle it just didn't make sense for the extra money. I only had 1k on the truck when towing and averaged 8mpg by hand. The tank could be bigger but all in all I am very happy with everything. I think you would too and I also hope the OP reports back with a similar experience.

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #25

Out with the F150 and in with the F250!

I’m in the same boat as you except a few steps ahead. I traded a perfectly good F150 3.73 EB for a 2018 F250 SD 6.2. I felt horrible on trade in day because at 71k in the clock that thing was solid. Truth be told I upgraded to a fifth wheel that was supposed to be half ton towable. Turns out not the case...at least in my case. Anyway I have grown to love and enjoy my new truck even more than the f150. I actually only lost about 1.5 mpg too. I also took the time to insist on a few must have features my 150 didn’t have.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #26
Grammar Pedant

I have a 2005 5.4L 3.73 that really struggles with my 6,300 lb trailer. I tow in the 6,000 - 10,000' range, so it's pretty severe around here. I'm currently scraping up cash to get myself an HD diesel. Gas would be OK for most and probably OK for me, but the severe altitude really kills normally aspirated engines and there's no turbo gas engine on the HDs. Thus, diesel.

So, yes, I feel the pain and I understand the desire to move up to an HD platform to tow with. That's where I am today. The last 4 vehicles I purchased have been used and I'm tired of dealing with others' problems. I can't stand the thought of buying new, but I absolutely refuse to buy used on this one. Ugh.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I have a 2005 5.4L 3.73 that really struggles with my 6,300 lb trailer. I tow in the 6,000 - 10,000' range, so it's pretty severe around here. I'm currently scraping up cash to get myself an HD diesel. Gas would be OK for most and probably OK for me, but the severe altitude really kills normally aspirated engines and there's no turbo gas engine on the HDs. Thus, diesel.

So, yes, I feel the pain and I understand the desire to move up to an HD platform to tow with. That's where I am today. The last 4 vehicles I purchased have been used and I'm tired of dealing with others' problems. I can't stand the thought of buying new, but I absolutely refuse to buy used on this one. Ugh.
I just moved from Thornton, Colorado (not far from you) earlier this year after 26 years there and have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser.

Purchased at MedVed in Wheat Ridge (I-70 and Kipling)...

Pulled my 9900 pound 5'ver (purchased in Loveland at 4-Seasons) all over Colorado just like a diesel.

Granted...no exhaust brake, but my truck is MORE than plenty for your trailering needs...wouldn't even know it is back there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	186437  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, f250