Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Out with the Pullrite...in with the Andersen....

First off…this is not a bash on Pullrite Hitches….we’ve had ours for around 8 years on three different 5th wh’s and it performed flawlessly…just as advertised…never had a moments concern about making any turn but taking it in & out of the bed was a major hassle…at least I had reduced it to a one man job by using a “cherry picker” that slid in my 2” receiver which allowed me to lift it out onto a dolley/wheel barrow for storage purposes but even that was quite an event.

Started researching the Andersen about 3 months ago and had no qualms about it other than turn clearances …not a lotta info out there….what made it more unnerving was I never paid attention to my turns before (especially backing) so had no idea if I ever approached a 90 turn or not…anyway installed the Andersen then went to pick up trailer at dealer (they had done some warranty work on it)…installed the Andersen kingpin adapter and hitched the trailer up…no issues though if you order one with the “ball funnel adapter” you’ll need the extended ¼” allen wrench to tighten the front set screws.

When we pulled out of the lot…I purposely turned way sharper than needed just to get an idea on the clearance (DW watched from outside to stop me if it got to close) probably was pushing a 60-65 degree turn…had at least 15” of remaining clearance. So off we go on to the interstate running about 65….it was definitely a different sensation but something I can’t describe…I expected a little more side to side (rocking motion) movement particularly when semi’s would pass but that never occurred…drove about 30 miles to a rest stop to recheck the kingpin adapter bolts as they suggest…everything was fine.

Got back to the ranch where we keep it and started backing in…of course went real slow and continually monitored clearance…trailer never got closer than 8” to cab…probably at least an 80 degree turn. So it appears shouldn’t have any issues during normal operations….may have to pay more attention if uneven terrain is encountered but so far we never have. We used the standard goose ball on this short trip (80 miles) but I had also purchased the 4” offset goose ball for “just in case”. Still debating on whether or not to use that one instead just for a little more piece of mind but have no idea if it would affect the towing by shifting more weight to the rear.

All in all the hitch worked as advertised..we encountered an accident that necessitated diverting traffic thru an old subdivision with a lot of tight turns and narrow streets to get us back to the main road…..never heard a squeak or clunk from the hitch the whole time.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

I love mine. I did hit the top bed rail once but that was my fault. I had the ball mount at the lowest setting and I needed it on the highest setting. Yours looks correct. Other than that mine has been just fine. I love how lite weight it is and easy to remove. I bought a adjustable torque ratchet from Harbor Freight that I keep in the truck.

Most of my trips are fairly short but we just did Cedar Rapids, IA to Gatlinburg, TN and back with no issues what so ever.

Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Nights camped 2016-43
Nights booked 2017-21....so far
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
I did hit the top bed rail once but that was my fault.
Sorry to hear that....I set my ball height based upon the Pullrite height..GL
Old 08-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #4

It was my fault. I didn't have anything to measure and I thought it looked okay. Live and learn. I did contact Andersen about a taller ball hitch but I guess they don't make one.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Nights camped 2016-43
Nights booked 2017-21....so far
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

Our Andersen hitch has worked flawlessly also. I see no need for a heavy, clunky, greasy bed hog. Not trying to stir anyone up, but just my opinion of the Andersen.
Pulling a 42' Sandpiper 360PDEK loaded.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

We switched from a Pullrite to the Andersen and love it.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Has anyone considered the 4" offset goose ball or feel its not necessary??
Old 08-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

No need in my F350 6.5ft bed.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

Just did over 1500 miles r/t Florida to the Smoky's with my Andersen rail mount. Loved it, would never go back to the "old fashioned" way lol!
Old 08-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #10

No safety chains with in it since it's considered ball mount/goosekneck?
I like it and may consider it with our new one

RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pullrite