Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
I agree with you and a few others on the cdl thing. I will print it up and take it to my local dmv . I use my camper maybe 2 weeks out of the year and a cdl wouldn`t make any sense to me to have.
Good luck. I have the R endorsement, but not without wasting about 1.5 hours of my time at the DMV. I had a class B CDL. Due to all the hoops to maintain it, not to mention that I wasn't driving commercially anymore, I wanted to drop it, but add the R in the event we ever get the motorhome that DW wants. Idiots at the DMV insisted I would have to pass both a written test to get the permit, and then the actual road test. After explaining to 4 clerks, to include the branch supervisor, why that was stupid (with the CDL, I could already operate a RV over 26k), and after they consulted two rules books, they called the "boss" in Albany. I explained what I wanted to do, and gave the phone back to the confused cluster of clerks where he told them to issue the license.

The DMV is stuck in the 18th century. Especially with that whole 10k trailer weight limit. You could easily have a gcwr less than 26k, but technically be illegal because your trailer is over 10k. As messed up as our state assembly is, the dmv is worse.
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Though, looking at the New York document:
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv500c.pdf

The only way to exceed a GCWR 26,000 lbs. seems to be the CDL option.

My curiosity got the best of me and I emailed them. I assume I won't hear back until next week, but if/when I do- I'll post back to see if it confirms what you were told.

looks like you just need an "R" endorsement.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
Pennsylvania also requires a non-commercial class A license for any combo over 26,000 pounds IF the trailer GVRW exceeds 10,000 pounds.
Correct!! I have just done a lot of research on titling, license, and DOT requirements here in PA. DOT in PA look at trailers registered under 10,000LBS as individual units and do not combo their weight with the TV. Over 10K then they combo the weight together with TV. That can change classifications. One piece of advise I would give is call your local State Police Barracks and ask to speak to a DOT enforcement officer. They will most likely need to call you back at their convenience. I spoke to two here in PA and they were more than happy to answer my questions and/or find the answers. I spoke to two to cross reference the info, both gave the same answers. One piece of new RV info, well new at the beginning Jan 2017. You no longer need to combo title for a RV at any weight. You are still not able to exceed the GCVW. I was also told by both officers they have never stopped a RV for a check. They only RVs they have checked, weighed, etc were ones involved in a crash investigation.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
From post #3. Nevertheless, it’s been my understanding that unless you are for higher, or if you are personal use on the recreational vehicle end of things, It’s been my understanding that CDL or different certifications were not needed.

I don't know of forum rules of only posting to the OP questions.
Find the QUOTE button and use it. If you had Quoted post #3, subsequent readers would have known that you were commenting on an issue down in the thread and not the issue posted originally. There's no rule of only posting to the OP's questions... but using the Quote button (yes, we see you know how) would help readers know about what you are commenting.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #25

I’ve been wondering a lot about this myself. I just moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania and I’m trying to make sure that I can sort out all of the laws that are associated with driving an RV around here. I’d love some advice to see what it is that I need to be able to do so that I can drive my RV without being nervous about being pulled over!
RunRiverRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRiverRun View Post
I’ve been wondering a lot about this myself. I just moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania and I’m trying to make sure that I can sort out all of the laws that are associated with driving an RV around here. I’d love some advice to see what it is that I need to be able to do so that I can drive my RV without being nervous about being pulled over!
RV Driver's License Requirements
This site has a pretty good list of states and how they confirmed the laws
It looks like in va you don’t need anything more then your regular dl
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #27

Quote:
www.dmv.org/va-virginia/special-licenses.php
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Though, looking at the New York document:
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv500c.pdf

The only way to exceed a GCWR 26,000 lbs. seems to be the CDL option.

My curiosity got the best of me and I emailed them. I assume I won't hear back until next week, but if/when I do- I'll post back to see if it confirms what you were told.
Looks to me like Class A license is what he needs. Is Class A a commercial license only?

Vehicle type: Combination. Tractor/Trailer or Truck Trailer

GCWR over 26,000 lbs

The way I read this as well is the R endorsement is for RV's (single vehicles) up to 26,000 lbs). Description of that is under Class D license.

Mike
Old 02-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Looks to me like Class A license is what he needs. Is Class A a commercial license only?

Vehicle type: Combination. Tractor/Trailer or Truck Trailer

GCWR over 26,000 lbs

The way I read this as well is the R endorsement is for RV's (single vehicles) up to 26,000 lbs). Description of that is under Class D license.

Mike

R is for RV's over 26,000....that is what the NY reg's say.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
R is for RV's over 26,000....that is what the NY reg's say.
Sure hope they reply to ependydad's email. Reading the R endorsement in file
https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/mv21.pdf
it sure reads as if the R is applicable to motor homes. Have to take a driving test that includes "backing the vehicle to the curb". Why you would have to do that with a TT or 5er, on a road test, I dunno.

Mike
Old 02-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
Pennsylvania also requires a non-commercial class A license for any combo over 26,000 pounds IF the trailer GVRW exceeds 10,000 pounds.
And a non commercial class b if the trailer is under 10k and the vehicle is over 26k (big motor home).

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I do not want to derail... Maybe pm your question.. Dot enforcement in PA is one the things I do..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #33
Always Learning

I got a response. I didn’t specifically ask about the R endorsement, but the response seems to echo what Big Red was told.

Here was my email inquiry:
Quote:
Hi there. My family is contemplating a move to New York and I'm trying to get my ducks all in a row.

I'm trying to figure out what class of driver's license do I need. I am a recreational RVer (just taking my family out- never for hire). The truck has a GVWR or 12,300 lbs. and the fifth wheel camper has a GVWR of 15,825 lbs. When I have weighed all loaded, it comes in less than that (approximately 24,000-25,000 lbs.).

Can you help me understand what driver's license do I need? From reading the documentation, it sort of seems like I'd need a CDL but I won't be performing any commercial activities.

Thank you
And here is what they sent back:
Quote:
Dear Customer,

A Commercial Driver License (CDL) is required by law for drivers who operate the following Commercial Motor Vehicle types:
A vehicle with a Manufacturers Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.

A vehicle towing a unit with a Manufacturers GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs if the GCWR is over 26,000 lbs.

The manufacturers GVWR is the weight stamped on a metal plate located on the driver's side door or door jamb of the vehicle. This is this weight rating that is used to determine what class license is necessary to operate the vehicle.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #34

for drivers who operate the following Commercial Motor Vehicle types:

This horse has his skeleton being beaten.

But the response is exactly what I expected. Only applies to COMMERCIAL vehicles.

Selling stuff out of your RV? Maybe it's you.

Seeing America? Not so much.

My three cents.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
for drivers who operate the following Commercial Motor Vehicle types:

This horse has his skeleton being beaten.

But the response is exactly what I expected. Only applies to COMMERCIAL vehicles.

Selling stuff out of your RV? Maybe it's you.

Seeing America? Not so much.

My three cents.

I agree, but I was extremely clear that I wouldn’t be performing any commercial activities. It’s like NY defines the vehicle as commercial based on its size alone.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #36

And it appears he ignored that totally and simply quoted the existing law, without comment on what he thought it applied to.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
And it appears he ignored that totally and simply quoted the existing law, without comment on what he thought it applied to.

Agreed. We’ll see, I asked for clarification:

Quote:
I guess I’m confused. Is it a commercial vehicle solely by weight? I will not be performing any commercial activities whatsoever- just me, the wife, and kids out camping a few weekends each year.

What defines it as “Commercial Motor Vehicle types”?

Thank you.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #38

Also ask if it’s listed as a cmv do you need a dot number log books well now Elogs and a fed med card to drive an rv
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Agreed. We’ll see, I asked for clarification:
You're one persistent dude, dude.

Remind me not to get into an argument with you. LOL

Seriously, you're doing great. You're doing what it takes to actually answer these questions........lots of opinions, but this just MIGHT be the true answer we can rely on.

Thank you for doing this.

Now.......go do it 49 more times. No, 48. One state, you can skip.

LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #40

If they came back and said it applies to the following COMMERCIAL vehicles I would be done and not worry about it. You are not commercial. I assume they are talking about commercial vehicles over an amout and commercial vehicles under an amout. Its not the weight that requires the licenses but the combination of weight and use. Commercial vehicles under that amout dont require the endorsement either. This is the way the federal laws have always been. States can do their own thing but mostly they just go off the federal regulations.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote